• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DCM TF2000 Deal of the Decade - with pics!

I've recapped a couple of speakers before so no big deal there, it's just a pain to get inside these buggers. For the time being I'll leave the black materiel in place as it's in good condition. I'm planning to use E-caps for the high value ones but will use a film cap for the 47mF cap. I sure hope all the resistors are in spec. I also plan to upgrade the internal wire and the binding posts while I'm at it. I'm sure the lack of demand on the market is due to the rarity and "mythical status" that surrounds these. I had seen and heard of DCM Timewindow's and TimeFrames over the years and have seen some examples at estate sales and at thrift shops on occasion. The only place I'd ever heard of the TF2000's is here on this forum so when I encountered them in the Goodwill store I knew what they were and that they would be mine.:banana:I should have them up and running again in about two weeks.
 
I've recapped a couple of speakers before so no big deal there, it's just a pain to get inside these buggers. For the time being I'll leave the black materiel in place as it's in good condition. I'm planning to use E-caps for the high value ones but will use a film cap for the 47mF cap. I sure hope all the resistors are in spec. I also plan to upgrade the internal wire and the binding posts while I'm at it. I'm sure the lack of demand on the market is due to the rarity and "mythical status" that surrounds these. I had seen and heard of DCM Timewindow's and TimeFrames over the years and have seen some examples at estate sales and at thrift shops on occasion. The only place I'd ever heard of the TF2000's is here on this forum so when I encountered them in the Goodwill store I knew what they were and that they would be mine.:banana:I should have them up and running again in about two weeks.

Yeah, I did put 14g wire inside. No other tips really - careful with the tweeter tabs, don't get them too hot too long. The tweeter is wired out of phase, so don't 'fix' that. Check the cabinet for air gaps around the all sides of the front baffle. I had to seal mine up a bit. I hope my resistors are OK. I really think I'll be going over the crossovers again in a few years - check all the caps & resistors.

So far I'm at:

$50 - Speakers
$15 - Glue for surrounds that lifted
$80 - 4 yards speaker cloth (nice deep black, acoustically transparent thick cloth from http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-grill-cloth-fabric-black-a-569.html
$40 - Mundorf ECaps from partsconnexion.com
$6 - satin black krylon
$46 - headliner material from http://www.yourautotrim.com
$8 - 3M headliner glue spray
$20 - 14g copper wire

So $265 into it so far. I would not be disappointed if they cost $500+, so another crossover refresh wont be out of the question down the road.
 
Yeah, I did put 14g wire inside. No other tips really - careful with the tweeter tabs, don't get them too hot too long. The tweeter is wired out of phase, so don't 'fix' that. Check the cabinet for air gaps around the all sides of the front baffle. I had to seal mine up a bit. I hope my resistors are OK. I really think I'll be going over the crossovers again in a few years - check all the caps & resistors.

So far I'm at:

$50 - Speakers
$15 - Glue for surrounds that lifted
$80 - 4 yards speaker cloth (nice deep black, acoustically transparent thick cloth from http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-grill-cloth-fabric-black-a-569.html
$40 - Mundorf ECaps from partsconnexion.com
$6 - satin black krylon
$46 - headliner material from http://www.yourautotrim.com
$8 - 3M headliner glue spray
$20 - 14g copper wire

So $265 into it so far. I would not be disappointed if they cost $500+, so another crossover refresh wont be out of the question down the road.
I'm going with ERSE electrolytics for the large value caps and ERSE polypro film caps for the 47mF caps for just a hair over $50 shipped and I'm going to use Canare speaker cable for the internal wire as well as for the 6 foot leads to the amplifier, I bought that a while ago at $1.25 per foot (four conductor wire) and I'll splurge on the binding posts and get Cardas copper 5 way's ( $60 for two sets ) so should be all-in for < $200.:jump:These will probably outlast me ( I'm 52 ) so how 'bout dat ? I just hope that I can get in and out of them without screwing up the headliner material and the grill cloth socks. More to come.
,
 
reverb, have you had a chance to enjoy yours much since you finished? Yours turned out great!
there might he six people on here that own these, i wonder how many are sitting in living rooms still being used?
 
Wow great job - I am the guy who restored my 4 TF1000s with the cream fabric. I just spent a day at high end NYC audio store listening to systems from Wilson Audio ranging from 500k down to 30k. Got home and couldn't believe I still can't justify trading up my DCM. I never expected to have that reaction. I am trying to upgrade and ready to spend thousands but coming up blank. Steve E was a genius with an amazing ear. He made audiophile sound possible for me 30 years ago when I bought all 4 of them brand new. Dollar for dollar they are untouchable!

the cult following is so cool

Now I want a pair of TF2Ks! Can't imagine how they would sound!
 
These are the guys I was talking about in this other thread (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=508525&page=6), but I figured a new one would make more sense with photos and future questions.

Quick recap:
$50 from local guy selling via classifieds with some other stuff (non-audio).

Pretty bad cosmetically, but complete. The speaker cover fabric was no good at all, faded, torn, dog hair, etc. So first thing I did was cut it off.

Drivers are really all good except for the dust cap on one woofer. Rubber surrounds, not cracked. Dusty, but OK.

I can't give any listening impressions since A) I'm no good at that anyways, and B) I don't have them at my house yet, just tested them out at a friends until I can make some room for them.

Serial numbers 442 and 443, higher than most I've seen in the few days I've researched these.

anyways, on to the pics.
These are 5 freaking feet tall. 59.5 inches I think. I'll call them 60" if anyone asks :) 22 inches wide, 15" deep total.

20150608_172421.jpg


20150608_172505_0.jpg


20150608_172244.jpg


20150608_172255.jpg


20150608_172302.jpg


20150608_172311.jpg


20150608_172320.jpg


20150608_172403.jpg


20150608_172436.jpg
 
Hi Kevin
If this thread is still active I'd like to introduce you to 446 and 447! Thread Time Frame 2000 Score!
Peace,
GusCreekMT
 
Well, I have #'s 290 & 291 that I’m taking out of storage tonight in a solid 8+/9 untouched original condition. They will be tested and gone over by my tech so... No idea if I'll ever get to enjoy these again. Maybe give them one last twirl - don't have the space anymore and have shifted to stand-mounts. These were/are the most unexpected treasure of a speaker I've ever owned or listened to. Really, those of you in this thread and on this site know all too well, they're just spectacular!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't listen to them because you will keep them and if you can't you will feel unsatisfied by any other speaker, IMO. Please let someone out of state arrange for a moving company to come and get them, wrap in blankets, and deliver them. 15 years ago mine came 1000 miles that way. I have #466 and 467. I hope you get a fortune for them.
 
U may be right... I’ll post a couple of pics when I get them out and set up. Gonna take out the Adcom GFA-555 I used to fire them with too. Had plenty of muscle to push the TF-2000s around. Toss on some Faces & Free and get nostalgic for a few hours. There is however no way I’m shoehorning 5’ monoliths in my listening room for the long haul. Sad, but true.
 
U may be right... I’ll post a couple of pics when I get them out and set up. Gonna take out the Adcom GFA-555 I used to fire them with too. Had plenty of muscle to push the TF-2000s around. Toss on some Faces & Free and get nostalgic for a few hours. There is however no way I’m shoehorning 5’ monoliths in my listening room for the long haul. Sad, but true.

If you decide to part with them, I know a guy up in Mass that might be interested. Drop me a message here if that’s the way you go with them.
 
#354 & 355. While I thought they were very nice speakers, they were not so great that they warranted having those monsters in my living room. These are speakers that need the proper power to drive them, and above all, the appropriate listening space.
IMGP2563.JPG IMGP2571.JPG IMGP2575.JPG
 
#290 & 291... These will clean up nicely. I’ll have them gone through & fully tested. Amazing condition, just dusty.
 

Attachments

  • DE329B2D-039B-4F0E-B236-643292B74F38.jpeg
    DE329B2D-039B-4F0E-B236-643292B74F38.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
I'm listening to mine right now.
Nice! I must have missed this from earlier this year.

Well, I have #'s 290 & 291 that I’m taking out of storage tonight in a solid 8+/9 untouched original condition. They will be tested and gone over by my tech so, who’s interested? lol... No idea if I'll ever get to enjoy these again. Maybe give them one last twirl - don't have the space anymore and have shifted to stand-mounts. These were/are the most unexpected treasure of a speaker I've ever owned or listened to. Really, those of you in this thread and on this site know all too well, they're just spectacular!

I agree with everything you said.

#354 & 355. While I thought they were very nice speakers, they were not so great that they warranted having those monsters in my living room. These are speakers that need the proper power to drive them, and above all, the appropriate listening space.
View attachment 1855626 View attachment 1855627 View attachment 1855628
Absolutely they need some space, like many decent high end speakers, these do best with about two feet behind them, and a few feet to the sides clear of furniture. But man oh man, when they are in the right position they are b e a u t i f u l sounding.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom