• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dedicated listening room

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

It's been 6 years or so since I first posted this and my system has changed somewhat but the room remains the main player in how it all comes together. I haven't really touched the room aside from moving the acoustic panels around (or adding/removing them) as the system or my musical tastes change; they really can affect the balance, soundstage and 'intimacy' in there.

The wood roof panels have proven nice to have too; they aren't as easy to get behind as a suspended ceiling but I have pulled the trim strips and panels down in areas to get at the wiring and run network cables – a little messy but reasonably easy to put back up.

My system in those old pictures has certainly evolved; I now use a VPI turntable, ZYX cartridge, Sonic Frontiers phono-stage, Joule Electra pre-amp, Audio-Note DAC and Accuphase tuner, the Altec crossovers are now diy Markwarts. Some things remain the same though and my love-affair with low power SETs, Altec 604s, the Sony 777ES SACD player and vinyl in general remains.

This picture is much more recent and shows a a more crowded, jumbled state where I was messing around with Tannoys and a Scott tuner; I'll be getting back to my simple 2A3 or 300B/Altec based system soon though, as I find I like that combination best in this space.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • systemtannoys.jpg
    systemtannoys.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 349
Looks great.

I can't wait until I reach the point where I'm explaining to my wife why I need custom lighting in the listening room.
 
I know it's been a while since there's been activity in this thread, but I stumbled upon it today, and WOOWWW :thmbsp: What you've done is amazing Bill. I have to say that this should probably be a sticky just so that it can be an inspiration to everyone on AK. This sort of thing just is just amazing, and the lighting is beautiful. Are you in the GTA? I may have to make a point of going to toronto if the offer of "if any of you are ever in the Toronto area and want to drop over for a listen, let me know." still stands.
 
WOW, I remember building those Tannoy/Aristicrats with CableGuy (Bill) in my garage. How do you like them???
 
I can't decide whether I'm excited this thread got resurrected because that room is so pretty....or whether I'm depressed because I have room envy!
That is really, really nice.
 
I just love seeing examples of room treatment, I have spent some time doing diy in my shed with carpet and traps etc and have noticed a great improvement overall. Nothing like this fantastic enviroment though. well :thmbsp:
 
Thanks guys, my system had changed a little over time but the room remains my most important system piece.

WOW, I remember building those Tannoy/Aristicrats with CableGuy (Bill) in my garage. How do you like them???

I posted a little about the Tannoys here. I have yet to get back to them as they are going to need changes - or I'll have to change my system - to get them to a point where I like them. They're not bad, just not the Altecs and I like the Altecs in there.
 
Billfort, first of all great job sir. I'm currently working on refinishing a basement, and although I don't have a luxury of a dedicated room ( the basement is all open concept) I'm trying to incorporate some sound proofing. In your original description it seems you paid very little attention to floor/subfloor. I'm planning to go with vinyl flooring. What's your opinion on subfloor material? Is it worth going with some rubber panels or cork?
 
Almost 8 years since Billfort's last post in this thread, and more than 15 years since it started. That doesn't mean it's bad info - just that people have moved on. Wonder if @Billfort is still watching the thread.
 
It's been many years since you posted these images of your dedicated listening room but could you please tell me the manufacturer and color/number of the green paint you used? THNX.
 
Back
Top Bottom