• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Derek's Domain

Thanks guys, I must say that Upgrade-Itis gets me quite a bit, always curious to explore new gear, although I am very happy with this gear. I will never sell the Thorens turntables, lovely units (TD 160 Super/TD 165).
 
Pioneer KEH-P3750

Have been through a bit of a journey with Car cassette decks. I purchased a Pioneer KEH-1550 for $15 2nd hand which was trashed when I received it. One of the pinch rollers was dislodged and rattling around inside the machine, and the heads would not stay engaged (logic control). Anyway I pulled as many parts out of the mechanism as I could and tracked down a Pioneer KEH-P3750 deck of similar vintage for $25. The mechanism is exactly the same in that and is a poor design in the sense that the Fast winding flywheel pivots on a plastic mount that snaps and causes the capstan flywheels to rub/speed wobble. Frustrated I worked on this thing and came to the conclusion that if I removed the fast winding cog and the broken plastic pivot point that it would work. I cleaned and demagnetized the heads/pinch rollers and gave the mechanism a general re-lube/clean. Wow does this thing perform! It almost matches my home cassette decks and has equal fidelity in both tape directions (it is auto reverse with a non spinning bi-directional auto reverse head) I have never heard an Auto Reverse deck play well in both directions. It is very nice to be able to listen to my vinyl in the car in genuine analog. Although I cannot music search or fast wind, this does not bother me. I may have a high end alpine deck coming in the near future with all functions working. I compared the sound of my vinyl transfers between cd/tape, and the tape is much better (brand new TDK AD and SA types). CD is not......even.....close to what the tapes do :music:
Have included pictures of the unit, the picture is not owned by me but is the same. There is also a picture of the bi directional head spare I pulled out of the first deck that I could not repair, it is strange as reading parts of the head is indented with a small smooth metal part in the middle. There is also this weird magnet looking thing I also took out of the trashed deck, I wonder if this is a built in head demagnetizer? Anyone?
 

Attachments

  • pioneer-keh-p3750.jpg
    pioneer-keh-p3750.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Pioneer head 1.jpg
    Pioneer head 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Pioneer head 2.jpg
    Pioneer head 2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Pioneer Part 1.jpg
    Pioneer Part 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 13
8 Track Pics as Requested

Here are some 8 Track pics as requested by relmasri
 

Attachments

  • 100_1565.jpg
    100_1565.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1564.JPG
    100_1564.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1563.jpg
    100_1563.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1562.JPG
    100_1562.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1560.JPG
    100_1560.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Here are some 8 Track pics as requested by relmasri

Thanks for that Derek.
The tape path is very similiar to that of the compact cassette players and yet the 8 track cartridges look very different to the compact cassettes, amazing!!!

Easy to get parts if they breakdown?

Rabe
 
Thanks for that Derek.
The tape path is very similiar to that of the compact cassette players and yet the 8 track cartridges look very different to the compact cassettes, amazing!!!
Easy to get parts if they breakdown?
Rabe

They run on an endless loop with the tape coming from the center of the reel which is angled, and is taken up but the outer part of the reel as the reel spins, the tape passes over the heads 4 times per whole album play with the head moving 4 times to change between the 4 stereo tracks. I have never had to buy parts for them, although sometimes pressure pads and splicing tape is required to fix. The only thing I have done is change the plastic type rollers over to the rubber type rollers for better tape grip (got these from tapes I did not play much and swapped). They have a bad habit of jamming on the splice/joiner due to their age, also tension can be an issue depending on how they have been treated/stored. The sound could be a lot better, but this comes down to the machine and how well the tape was recorded by the factory. There are plenty of 8 tracks on ebay last time I looked, which can be used for parts.
 
Derek- that's what happened, the tape sounds very muffled.

My best friend mailed a coupon for four 8-track tapes and we wore those down too. The sound of 8-tracks is better than cassette tapes in my opinion.

Nice to see somebody still has this format! My kid has never seen an 8-track tape in real life.
 
I can understand how the warmth of 8 tracks could be better however I just cant get the high range response that I get on modern cassette decks with HX-PRO, I still love my 8 tracks though (My Led Zeppelin ones sound like they are under water but I still play them yearly). My Collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7vsMnt5pY
 
They run on an endless loop with the tape coming from the center of the reel which is angled, and is taken up but the outer part of the reel as the reel spins, the tape passes over the heads 4 times per whole album play with the head moving 4 times to change between the 4 stereo tracks. I have never had to buy parts for them, although sometimes pressure pads and splicing tape is required to fix. The only thing I have done is change the plastic type rollers over to the rubber type rollers for better tape grip (got these from tapes I did not play much and swapped). They have a bad habit of jamming on the splice/joiner due to their age, also tension can be an issue depending on how they have been treated/stored. The sound could be a lot better, but this comes down to the machine and how well the tape was recorded by the factory. There are plenty of 8 tracks on ebay last time I looked, which can be used for parts.

I am relieved to hear that you can still get parts to maintain the unit because, from what you are describing, the cartridge goes through a bit more of the tape transport than the compact cassette in order to get the sound, thus requiring more maitnenance ...

Rabe
 
I think its also a higher tape speed, the machines tend to get dirty much faster due to the age of the tape too. The main thing is to keep the capstan drive clean inside the machine, because if the tape wraps around this it is catastrophic. This was common in cars when people would leave the 8 track inserted whilst the car was parked in the heat, therefore making the rubber roller on the 8 track soft and sometimes sticky. When the unit is powered up again the tape wraps around the capstan and can destroy it. If the tape gets pulled out for any reason you need to take it apart and wind it back manually which can be difficult. Also if the joiner breaks the tape can spill into the machine and pull entirely out of the cartridge, I've seen this happen on home players. Then again some 8 track cartridges never have this problem in their entire life span without a problem.
I need to try some different 8 track machines because I think I can get better sound from these cartridges. Lots of them have lived in cars most of their life and the heat/vibration has gotten to them. That 8-track machine I own could also be worn. Alignment is usually an issue because it is never perfect between the tracks and cross talk is common, you can sometimes hear part of the other track quietly during quiet passages of the track you are playing. There is quite a bit of information crammed into the tape, very close together.

I am relieved to hear that you can still get parts to maintain the unit because, from what you are describing, the cartridge goes through a bit more of the tape transport than the compact cassette in order to get the sound, thus requiring more maitnenance ...
Rabe
 
I think its also a higher tape speed, the machines tend to get dirty much faster due to the age of the tape too. The main thing is to keep the capstan drive clean inside the machine, because if the tape wraps around this it is catastrophic. This was common in cars when people would leave the 8 track inserted whilst the car was parked in the heat, therefore making the rubber roller on the 8 track soft and sometimes sticky. When the unit is powered up again the tape wraps around the capstan and can destroy it. If the tape gets pulled out for any reason you need to take it apart and wind it back manually which can be difficult. Also if the joiner breaks the tape can spill into the machine and pull entirely out of the cartridge, I've seen this happen on home players. Then again some 8 track cartridges never have this problem in their entire life span without a problem.
I need to try some different 8 track machines because I think I can get better sound from these cartridges. Lots of them have lived in cars most of their life and the heat/vibration has gotten to them. That 8-track machine I own could also be worn. Alignment is usually an issue because it is never perfect between the tracks and cross talk is common, you can sometimes hear part of the other track quietly during quiet passages of the track you are playing. There is quite a bit of information crammed into the tape, very close together.

Wow Derek, indeed these machines need to be carefully monitored and maintained and sounds they made more car units than they did home units...
 
Ok, time for a system tidy up, got a gazillion tapes to store, and I want them handy, am transferring them for preservation. Also did lots of re-routing of cables (pain in the neck). Happy with it now!
 

Attachments

  • system tidy 1.jpg
    system tidy 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 16
  • system tidy 2.jpg
    system tidy 2.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 12
I hear ya, you have to be in the right place at the right time. I only have enough for my pre-recorded cassettes, not my blank ones I recorded myself.
When you do find them, they are very cheap (like $2-$5), many people just don't appreciate tape anymore, its actually a very strong format which will outlast the dye layer on cds (and possibly dvd's). If looked after well they really do last, having high end machine(s) brings out the best in them every time.
Thanks for the nice comment :thmbsp:
 
many people just don't appreciate tape anymore, its actually a very strong format which will outlast the dye layer on cds (and possibly dvd's). If looked after well they really do last, having high end machine(s) brings out the best in them every time.
Thanks for the nice comment :thmbsp:

Your welcome ;-0

So true, so true about the tapes, my wife has 86-87 ma-xg's and they still sound good after many recordings ;-0

I have had a great love and appreciation for that format since I was about 14-15 yrs and love it more than my cd's, dat's and md's ;-0

Wish more people would move away from that mp3 crap as well...
 
New additions

A Nakamichi BX-1 Cassette deck, sounds beautiful after a full service. Kenwood KX-3510 HXPRO Auto reverse deck. :music:
 

Attachments

  • bx1.jpg
    bx1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 7
  • kx3510.jpg
    kx3510.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 7
The Nakamichi is serious, but it is one of their basic models, single roller/2 head system but the electronics are fantastic, as the sound also is. I am aiming for a much higher model in the future which will have dual rollers/capstans/3 heads which are quite expensive fully restored. The Kenwood cassette deck is ok but has a very worn head, so it is only good for playback, not recording, still a nice unit though, sounds quite good for its condition.
 
Back
Top Bottom