• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Did I get duped or not? Pioneer CS-901A ePay scam

Duped?


  • Total voters
    30
Nope, you didn't get duped anymore than the rest of us that are paying many times over what "vintage" gear sold for 10 years ago. Going rates are in the stratosphere for desirable items, brands like Pioneer bring even more.
Rest easy.
 
I recently bought a Dual turntable in Raleigh needing repair, responding to a Craigslist ad and the way he talked he apparently had put it on Ebay too. Don't know what he was asking for it there. It happens.

To get some idea for what things sell for I use the Ebay Advanced search feature and see the sold prices. Often much below most of the asking prices. You have to separate fix and repairs from ones claimed to be fully functional. For things that rarely sell it becomes what you feel its worth.

Sometimes you get a great deal, on some things you may overpay.
 
Last edited:
You don't need to buy or sell on ebay to understand the difference between an asking and selling price, it's common sense, albeit a rare trait now it seems!
I completely understand this basic concept. BUT in the case of these pioneers I was having trouble tracking down any recent sold prices. I can put a #2 pencil on the bay for a trillion dollars but obviously I won’t get that. I think you need to read through the posts again and understand what I was confused about.
 
Did you note the location of the pair on EBay? If it was where you bought the speakers, it could have been the same pair, but it seems like it would be a bit of a long shot for the seller to specifically place the ad after responding to your WTB solely for the purpose of establishing a high price for them. I mean, someone could think to do that, but it doesn’t seem likely. Plus he volunteered that the tweeter took awhile to make sound and took off $100 for that, so it doesn’t seem like he was trying to scam you in any way.

IF it was the same pair, I’d think it more likely that the price was set high to account for the fact that on eBay, sellers are pretty vulnerable to buyers abusing the system and claiming problems with purchases, so maybe that was his threshold for selling it there and taking the risk. A lot of speculation, but as others said, as long as you’re happy with what you paid, that’s all that really matters.
I didn’t note the location, was too astonished by the ridiculous price
 
Happiness with the sound AND price are equally important. $400 is below ebay sold price so you are fine. Not a deal but you will be able to flip out when the time comes and enjoy them "rent free". As far as the ebay tactic goes, I think you are connecting too many dots. When dealing with buyers and sellers, I ignore everything and focus on what's real, i.e. goods and cash. If the item pencils out, I couldn't care less if the guy says he is Batman.
I find Robin is typically easier to negotiate with:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:


Congratulations on your find

And enjoy the:music::music::music:
I personally like dealing with Alfred and his accent :smoke:
 
As others have noted, many folks see a price on eBay and assuming that is the going rate. That helps explain the asinine pricing often found on Craiglist when the seller obviously doesn't understand the difference between asking and sold for...or "free" shipping...or mint and trashed. Let's be honest here. The average person isn't that bright and half are dimmer than that :rolleyes:. And there are bright people with zero experience...
I am the latter. Just started getting into hiFi this year so I’ve made some mistakes along the way
 
:beerchug:
Nope, you didn't get duped anymore than the rest of us that are paying many times over what "vintage" gear sold for 10 years ago. Going rates are in the stratosphere for desirable items, brands like Pioneer bring even more.
Rest easy.
The prices for these machines are all over the place. I don’t feel so bad now especially after pumping some tunes through them. Thanks grillebilly
 
I am the latter. Just started getting into hiFi this year so I’ve made some mistakes along the way

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you personally since that was not what I intended. If you are counting this as a mistake then I think you are doing fine....I've done worse. And will probably do worse again :beerchug:.
 
Rare and unusual items are often just what the buyer is willing to pay. I've been on the buying and selling end of some gear that had no history on ebay or audiogon, just had to come to an agreement and be happy.
 
I hope you didn't think I was attacking you personally since that was not what I intended. If you are counting this as a mistake then I think you are doing fine....I've done worse. And will probably do worse again :beerchug:.
Hey Donprice, no offense taken. I was just so short in my response because I only had a few minutes to reply to everyone but I’ll go in depth now.

I haven’t made any terribly bad purchases yet luckily, but there were some instances where I could have haggled and gotten a better deal but was too excited to try out whatever it was that I was buying. Other than that it’s all been either good deals or steals;)
 
I recently bought a Dual turntable in Raleigh needing repair, responding to a Craigslist ad and the way he talked he apparently had put it on Ebay too. Don't know what he was asking for it there. It happens.

To get some idea for what things sell for I use the Ebay Advanced search feature and see the sold prices. Often much below most of the asking prices. You have to separate fix and repairs from ones claimed to be fully functional. For things that rarely sell it becomes what you feel its worth.

Sometimes you get a great deal, on some things you may overpay.
Solid advice. Thank you dly66:beerchug:
 
Rare and unusual items are often just what the buyer is willing to pay. I've been on the buying and selling end of some gear that had no history on ebay or audiogon, just had to come to an agreement and be happy.
I’ve come across a couple of those items on the buying end, but like you said one just had to be happy with whatever they agreed upon:biggrin:
 
Back
Top Bottom