• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Did you travel to see the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024?

100% in the path of totality here.

I traveled to my patio.

Moved a lounger a bit to the left to get the best view.

Laid down with a pair of eclipse viewing glasses.

It was partly cloudy, meaning about 50% of the time, I had a clear view.

At the first moment of totality, it got dark very quickly - about what it is like 30 minutes after sunset, but without the orange skies in the west.

The landscape lights kicked on.

All the streetlights turned on.

Several flocks of birds apparently were startled enough to take off as a group out of the trees.

I could hear from several blocks away all the kids at the elementary school screaming and cheering (obviously an entire school eclipse party outdoors).

It got noticeably cooler by several degrees.

Four times during the 4 minutes of totality, the clouds broke for an absolutely beautifully clear unobstructed view for about 20 seconds each time. At that point, I could look at it without the glasses. Impressive view of the corona.

Just as quickly as everything had darkened, it got light again, and the landscape lights and the streetlights turned off.

In celebration, I cracked open a Corona beer afterwards.

Now I just have to wait for 293 more years until the next time my humble abode will be in the path of totality....might be hard to keep the beer on ice that long.

:beerchug:
 
100% in the path of totality here.

I traveled to my patio.

Moved a lounger a bit to the left to get the best view.

Laid down with a pair of eclipse viewing glasses.

It was partly cloudy, meaning about 50% of the time, I had a clear view.

At the first moment of totality, it got dark very quickly - about what it is like 30 minutes after sunset, but without the orange skies in the west.

The landscape lights kicked on.

All the streetlights turned on.

Several flocks of birds apparently were startled enough to take off as a group out of the trees.

I could hear from several blocks away all the kids at the elementary school screaming and cheering (obviously an entire school eclipse party outdoors).

It got noticeably cooler by several degrees.

Four times during the 4 minutes of totality, the clouds broke for an absolutely beautifully clear unobstructed view for about 20 seconds each time. At that point, I could look at it without the glasses. Impressive view of the corona.

Just as quickly as everything had darkened, it got light again, and the landscape lights and the streetlights turned off.

In celebration, I cracked open a Corona beer afterwards.

Now I just have to wait for 293 more years until the next time my humble abode will be in the path of totality....might be hard to keep the beer on ice that long.

:beerchug:
The corona is amazing, couldn't keep my attention off it, Idaho 2017. Like a ring of sparkling diamonds around the edge, simply beautiful, glittering white light I'd never imagined. Diamonds of course reflect light, facets etc., but this is as though they are producing it. Simply beautiful. Then, it is over, back to being another day.
 
It got noticeably cooler by several degrees.
Yes, it did and the wind picked up. We were on an ocean front property (I work in landscaping for those who don't know). We had all removed our extra layers just before it started and we put them back on.
 
Through the telescope (with a proper sun filter on the aperture).

Start:

IMG_5994.jpeg

Progressing:

IMG_5999.jpeg

Peak:

IMG_6008.jpeg

Receding:

IMG_6013.jpeg

Almost done:

IMG_6015.jpeg

Lots of surface activity and several sun spots today.

Those pics are just the phone held up to the eye piece so its lacking the solar surface details you could see.

Crystal clear skies. Was a good viewing.
 
Last edited:
90+% eclipses project what I call "coal" or "dirty" light. I really like that.

Slight "green tint".

Not like before a bad storm, though. I like the "dirty" description. I'm gonna use that next time.

Not as much as 2017 here, but still there if you were not oblivious.

Almost like the moon really is made of "green cheese", as they used to say.
 
Well, the eclipse viewing exceeded all expectations. We ended up in Ashtabula, Ohio which couldn't have been a better location. Very thin clouds, no crowds, no traffic getting there and friendly, welcoming people around us. I think I got some great photos. Below is a cool effect that showed up briefly, immediately after totality passed. The clouds look a lot thicker in the photo than in real life. Oddly, it didn't show up right before totality. It is surreal to see the Sun blacked out while seeing stars in the sky at 3:15 pm.1000007327.jpg
 
Last edited:
We had almost perfect weather for the 100% totality at my sister's place in Indiana. It was really cool and we had a great family gathering. If I can figure out how to sort through the pictures family sent me, I will post a few. We had the same view as others in the full totality path. Sorry about the italics, not sure what I did wrong!
 
Last edited:
Dark enough for street lights. Even the kids got quiet. ;) Got dark very quickly as totality started, and bright very quickly as it left.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240408_191321018.jpg
    PXL_20240408_191321018.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240408_191318559.jpg
    PXL_20240408_191318559.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom