• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Diehard Bose Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

70'sAudio

Where it All Started for Me
Okay, so most of my life I have owned Bose 501's and 901's I think of Bose as being a live sound(all around stereo sound) and other speakers I've listen to over the years like JBL, Infinity, ADS I consider them to be studio speakers(with a small area of stereo sound) move out of that area and your only hearing one side or the other.........am I wrong thinking this way.

My Bose have the highs and the lows I get an all around the room no matter where I am sitting live stereo sound and like that.

I'm thinking about getting some studio monitor type of speakers just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on the subject.


Thanks again, Mike.
 
Register to hide this ad
I guess I need to hear some 901`s again. Its been about 30 years and was not really into audio back then . I do hear good things about them . I would like to compare them to my ADS L 1230`s .
 
You are welcome to like your Bose speakers. You're kind of new here. I wonder if you realize how much vitriol the Bose vs. any other speaker argument brings out. There is more controversy surrounding any Bose product than any product made by any other manufacturer.:scratch2:

FWIW: I've never heard any Bose speaker (or product) that I thought was worth spending any time with or any money for. Of course there are other manufacturers that make speakers that IMO are almost as bad. Klipsch being the one that comes to mind first. Most JBLs are for me a close second to Klipsch. But then, I use tube driven electrostatics, am old, set in my ways and don't really care what people think of my choices.:D

My advice is, like what you like and don't try to have others help you justify your choices.:smoke:
 
Last edited:
I'll say this - In 1987 my wife (at the time) & I heard sound coming from another apartment building that was blasting like I never heard and we both had to go over there to see what it was. Turns out it a guy cranked it with the door open and when I looked in there he had a pair of 901s hanging from the ceiling, kicking some butt. They looked old (series II?)
 
Often times it's about the room. Some rooms work well with Bose, some don't. Enjoy them if they work in your setup :)
 
You are welcome to like your Bose speakers. You're kind of new here. I wonder if you realize how much vitriol the Bose vs. any other speaker argument brings out. There is more controversy surrounding any Bose product than any product made by any other manufacturer.:scratch2:

FWIW: I've never heard any Bose speaker (or product) that I thought was worth spending any time with or any money for. Of course there are other manufacturers that make speakers that IMO are almost as bad. Klipsch being the one that comes to mind first. Most JBLs are for me a close second to Klipsch. But then, I use tube driven electrostatics, am old, set in my ways and don't really care what people think of my choices.:D

My advice is, like what you like and don't try to have others help you justify your choices.:smoke:
Well then why are you posting here? The OP didn't ask for any advice and he wasn't trying to get anyone to justify his choice. And are we supposed to be impressed with your tube driven electrostatics? I don't want to start any acrimony here, but why would somebody put down Bose, JBL, and Klipcsh, then turn right around and say "like what you like"?
 
The 901s are not my favorite speaker, but I did sell a lot of them back in my 1970s stereo sales guy days. A lot of people did like their particular type of sound.

They do exactly what Amar Gopal Bose had in mind and if you like the sound quality that is all that matters.

There was another brand of speakers that I preferred at the time, although I will not mention the brand. :D

We had one room devoted to all things Bose. Even had the automated Bose demonstration system, with colored lights that followed the sound as the front speaker and each of side of the rear speakers switched on individually to demonstrate the "direct/reflecting" nature of the 901s.

Of course we had the Bose 1801 amplifier front and center in the display and I rarely sold a pair of 901s with out selling this amplifier to go with the speakers.

I must say I had a lot of happy customers, so you are not alone in your appreciation of the 901s.
 
It's okay to like Bose. Personally I find that I'm most fond of their headphones myself.
 
I like the 901 and 501.

Hey Mike, did you notice they closed our Bose store at Waterford Lakes?
 
Well then why are you posting here? The OP didn't ask for any advice and he wasn't trying to get anyone to justify his choice. And are we supposed to be impressed with your tube driven electrostatics? I don't want to start any acrimony here, but why would somebody put down Bose, JBL, and Klipcsh, then turn right around and say "like what you like"?

I believe I'm allowed to say I don't like something, just as you are. Furthermore, I'm not asking for justification of my choices. You just zeroed in on what you think was a put down. If you own one of more of the speakers I don't like that's your business. I've heard most of them and I'm allowed not to like them.

Nowhere in my post is there any put down of anyone's choices. My post is about having the confidence to be secure in your own choices. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way.

My main point for the OP is that he has the right to like whatever he likes. He doesn't need anyone telling him it's alright.

Like what you like because you like it not because others tell you it's OK.
 
I believe I'm allowed to say I don't like something, just as you are. Furthermore, I'm not asking for justification of my choices. You just zeroed in on what you think was a put down. If you own one of more of the speakers I don't like that's your business. I've heard most of them and I'm allowed not to like them.

Nowhere in my post is there any put down of anyone's choices. My post is about having the confidence to be secure in your own choices. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way.

My main point for the OP is that he has the right to like whatever he likes. He doesn't need anyone telling him it's alright.

Like what you like because you like it not because others tell you it's OK.

you're acting as if he needs justification to like bose speakers. I don't think the op is looking for that, just expressing his like for the speakers.
 
All I'm saying is that he does, it's OK with me but I don't. Are the PC police going to tell me I'm not allowed to say so?

Are you only allowed to post if you like Bose speakers?
 
you're acting as if he needs justification to like bose speakers. I don't think the op is looking for that, just expressing his like for the speakers.

I got the opposite out of that post you quoted. I think he's saying it's perfectly fine for OP to like what he likes, even if he himself has tried them and doesn't like them.
 
Well then why are you posting here? The OP didn't ask for any advice and he wasn't trying to get anyone to justify his choice. And are we supposed to be impressed with your tube driven electrostatics? I don't want to start any acrimony here, but why would somebody put down Bose, JBL, and Klipcsh, then turn right around and say "like what you like"?

I don't see anywhere in JoeESP's post that put down any speaker. He made a statement on what he doesn't like, and implied on a BASED reference (what speakers/gear he has) of what he does like. Just stating "I don't like XXXX speakers"....and NOT providing any explanation why would be worse.

You can state that you don't like Ramen noodles because you can make your own Chinese food with fresh noodles, peanut oil and bamboo shoots in a giant wok on a kitchen stove. That isn't invalidating the person who throws a solidified Ramen noodle block into a bowl and pours tap water mixed with flavor packet. You're just unimpressed with Ramen noodles and they can still be welcome to like Ramen.
 
Okay, so most of my life I have owned Bose 501's and 901's I think of Bose as being a live sound(all around stereo sound) and other speakers I've listen to over the years like JBL, Infinity, ADS I consider them to be studio speakers(with a small area of stereo sound) move out of that area and your only hearing one side or the other.........am I wrong thinking this way.

Only if you're in North Korea and Kim Jong Un says Bose sounds like a studio speaker.

Seriously, though. Just understand there are other speakers that can fill a room with sound like your're speaking of and some of them happen to come from JBL, Infinity, and ADS.
 
Wow, never wanted to start a **** storm of controversy with this thread Guys just curious what others were listening to and what suggestions they may have........I'm always open to new ideas for one of my passions.

Have a good one,Mike
 
One more thing I would like to clear up I'm not looking for justification for liking Bose and by no means was I putting down any of the speakers I mentioned in the original post and when I asked if I was wrong to think that way that was a serious question if I've got it all wrong then teach me something I don't know. Hell, I'm open minded and I'm always willing to learn new things I'm 49 and by no means am I stuck in my ways. I'm sure if I had the money I would have a top of the line system but that's just not something I can afford right now and maybe never will.

If you would like to post what speakers your currently using and what you like most about them cool I would love to hear what you have.

Take it Easy, Mike.
 
I'm thinking about getting some studio monitor type of speakers just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on the subject

Are you after new or second-hand? Monitors - 'generally' describes older versions of this type of speaker, both JBL and Yamaha are the more recognised leaders in this area. For a list of older JBL monitors have a look hear to start your research: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?349-Old-JBL-Pro-Studio-Monitor-Price-List

For Yamaha, the two most famous are the NS10 and NS1000. There are home versions of these speakers and possibly more appropriate for your use are NS10M and NS1000M - the 'M' means musical and a better speaker for home use. But there are others cheaper like the NS100X and NS200M both an excellent speaker.

I am sure others will pipe in with other recommendations as many speaker companies produced a reference monitor.

For new, the term is 'studio near field speakers'. The link below should get you started on your research

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfD7RnC7P6Q

Keep in touch about your journey. :yes:

Well then why are you posting here? The OP didn't ask for any advice and he wasn't trying to get anyone to justify his choice. And are we supposed to be impressed with your tube driven electrostatics? I don't want to start any acrimony here, but why would somebody put down Bose, JBL, and Klipcsh, then turn right around and say "like what you like"?



All I'm saying is that he does, it's OK with me but I don't. Are the PC police going to tell me I'm not allowed to say so?

Are you only allowed to post if you like Bose speakers?

Joe, its not about the PC police, ask yourself what value and encouragement did you offer a new person to AK. Did you even offer any suggestions to start his research? Any positive insights at all other than to be disparaging.

Being new myself, I find many posts riddled with passive aggressive over tones, one-up-man-ship and promulgating a 'group think' mentality. There is absolutely a place for divergent discussion, this post is clearly not one of them. The OP is looking for advice, support & referral, not opinion on his existing speakers. All he has to do is read any 901 thread and he will see the debate for himself.

Bose are an industry leader. For myself I intend to buy a set of older Bose 901s because I have read all the fuss and now want hear for myself what all the fuss is about.

Mike, no sh!t storm. Just a case of a post that is out of context which disrupts the issue at hand, nothing more.

Rob
 
Last edited:
Okay, so most of my life I have owned Bose 501's and 901's I think of Bose as being a live sound(all around stereo sound) and other speakers I've listen to over the years like JBL, Infinity, ADS I consider them to be studio speakers(with a small area of stereo sound) move out of that area and your only hearing one side or the other.........am I wrong thinking this way.

My Bose have the highs and the lows I get an all around the room no matter where I am sitting live stereo sound and like that.

I'm thinking about getting some studio monitor type of speakers just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on the subject.


Thanks again, Mike.

Whatever floats your boat is...whatever floats your boat.

I would draw this analogy as a form of a question to you.

Let's presume you like both vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

If you put both into a bowl and eat one at a time, you have the full intensity of vanilla, followed by the full intensity of chocolate.

What instead, if you blend them? You have the same ingredients however, the intensity is perhaps muted and it's a more generic flavor without the delightful extremes.

As with Bose (or more explicitely, direct/reflective sound) you might get "blended but decent" sound everwhere but....you might not get 'excellent and intense' sound anywhere.

Contrast that with other types of speakers, you might get excellent and intense sound....but.... it might be only in a certain sweet spot in the room, forcing you to either sit in that spot to enjoy it or notice ups & downs in the sound quality (as you move about the room)

I don't know that I'm 100% right nor even 2% right....it's just my analogy as to the basic difference.

I've heard Bose speakers before and never really felt they sounded 'bad'. Heck, I can listen to a tin-can radio and still enjoy what I'm listening to because it's what I'm listening to that I'm paying attention to, not the items playing the sound.

Side note to you, I'm a big fan of (big) Klipsch speakers and feel they offer some of the most dynamic, realistic sound available.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom