• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dirty Weekends vs JBL Studio 590

index.php
Thanks. If only I’d read more carefully up to post 86. ;)

But really this is actually helpful and thanks for digging out useful info .
 
This is actually very helpful. I might have found this somewhere in the earlier posts but I gave up digging through them.

I’m worried only about construction techniques in the cost cutting. Still that can’t be very significant in a $2000 pair, or that’s what I’d assume. And to that price issue, how frequently do they appear at half price? I could not justify doubling my price point and I see them back up to full price on the JBL site.

Thanks for offering some good clear information Sterling.
Since this speaker came to market, I'm aware of three occasions JBL cut the price in half. This makes me think the speaker is intended to sell for a thousand dollars a pair. It also seems JBL manufactures this speaker with materials, and techniques commonly used by other manufactures for speakers in the $1000 dollar a pair price range. At any rate, I've been enjoying my JBL L100t3's since 1986 for my main listening area; yet, I may get the 530's,590's or Stage A170's for my dining room, based on Z and Steve Guttenberg reviews. Both alluding to effortless volume for life-like sound. That's what I get in spades from my L100t3's. It is indeed like being there.
 
Friendly neighborhood Moderator: Dupes scrubbed.
Also, some posts with attitude deleted.
Different speakers have different fans -
there is no one clear winner above all others, ESPECIALLY when speakers are designed for a Price Point.
 
Friendly neighborhood Moderator: Dupes scrubbed.
Also, some posts with attitude deleted.
Different speakers have different fans -
there is no one clear winner above all others, ESPECIALLY when speakers are designed for a Price Point.

Thank you for doing this. It was getting a little out there.
 
Since this speaker came to market, I'm aware of three occasions JBL cut the price in half. This makes me think the speaker is intended to sell for a thousand dollars a pair. It also seems JBL manufactures this speaker with materials, and techniques commonly used by other manufactures for speakers in the $1000 dollar a pair price range. At any rate, I've been enjoying my JBL L100t3's since 1986 for my main listening area; yet, I may get the 530's,590's or Stage A170's for my dining room, based on Z and Steve Guttenberg reviews. Both alluding to effortless volume for life-like sound. That's what I get in spades from my L100t3's. It is indeed like being there.

I think I can maybe offer up some useful information for you. I owned JBL L100t’s and swapped in the t3 xovers. Those were great speakers and were perfect for me as I was beginning a three year ascent through different and better speakers including Polk SDA-1c, Klipsch KG5.5, DCM TF600, DCM TW3, Paradigm 9 and 11se, EV Interface C II, ADS 1290/2, Magnepan MMG, Vandersteen 2ci, Infinity QLS-1, Magnepan MG-IIIa, Altec 19, Acoustat Spectra 22, JBL L250, Kef LS50, Energy Veritas 2.2, Klipsch Forte, Klipsch Chorus II as well as a dozen or so not so noteworthy bookshelf speakers (the usual East coast and Danish darlings). All were used in a medium sized and acoustically treated listening space dedicated to my hifi endeavors and with what most in the hobby would consider better than mid-fi electronics. The high bar was set by the Altec 19’s, and after stepping away from the hobby a few years ago became the standard for comparison as I searched for a pair of speakers to use in my (large) living room when I returned to the hobby last year and found myself unable to use the dedicated listening space, and also unable to accomodate the 19’s in the area I needed to locate the speakers in the living room. I’ll go on record now to say that the Altec 19’s are several orders of magnitude more capable at creating a compelling and emotional listening experience compared to the the JBL L100t(3)’s, so whatever I settled on for my living room speakers would be a noteworthy improvement over the sonic capabilities of the L100t(3). I first started with the Klipsch Chorus II as my gut told me the speaker would need have horn loading for the mids and highs and a big woofer...like the 19’s. Chorus II’s provided a 15” woofer and the horn loading but in a cabinet that was narrow enough to fit where I needed the speakers to fit. They weren’t Altec 19’s, but they pushed a lot of the same buttons and served me well for months. A set of Studio 590’s showed up for sale on FB marketplace earlier this year and I decided to try them out purely out of curiosity as they’d been creating a bit of a buzz on the interwebs. To cut to the chase, they displaced the highly capable Chorus II’s and check off an impressive number of boxes for my somewhat jaded ears. They’re not ideal, and perhaps not even likeable for some, but that’s like 99% of the speakers out there, right? I appreciate what they can do, and would consider them a marked improvement over L100t(3)’s if set up properly, in an appropriate sized room (they need space...bigger the better) and with above average electronics because they are quite revealing.

If you haven’t yet gone through this thread...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...s-is-really-sort-of-about-studio-590s.889421/

...you’ll likely find some very good information to help you with your decision.

Michael
 
Last edited:
I said there is no loudspeaker that is accurate - the word accurate in math means 2+2=4 if your answer ain't that, it's wrong.

I said speakers are not accurate - and then I said Harmon speakers are not accurate - where is the contradiction?

Turn your speakers around and have them face the wall - play your music - let's see how omni-directional they are - a live piano may not be uniform in all directions but it is a lot more uniform than a direct radiating loudspeaker. And smaller instruments like Violins and Oboes certainly are more uniform.

During Munich Hi-End 2018, and again in 2019- I was working in the VAC/Von Schweikert room, with the Ultra 11 (2018) and Ultra 9 (2019) speakers. Both have the "Ambient Array" (rear mounted dome and ribbon tweeter array, made to restore proper omnidirectional power balance).

The room was very long and narrow- and we had the speakers about 6 feet out from the rear wall, to avoid a sound anomaly that was happening due to a ceiling beam that was just over the speakers (if the speakers were behind the beam, they sounded unbalanced and the imaging was off- but when they were brought outward in front of the beam, the anomalies seemed to disappear).

During setup, I noted that the sound was ALMOST IDENTICAL, directly behind the speakers, as it was in front. I mean, I was getting IMAGING and SOUNDSTAGING back there, standing next to the rear wall.

I started demonstrating this to visitors to the room- after they had listened in the normal listening area in front of the speakers, I took them BEHIND the speakers- and mentioned to them that they may notice how similar the tonal balance and sound was to being directly in front.

There were many wide eyes, as many people almost couldn't believe their own ears- at how similar the sound was in the rear as in the front...

So- it IS at least fundamentally possible, to get a very close match in tonal balance, in almost all directions- if it's done right... we demonstrated it!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Since this speaker came to market, I'm aware of three occasions JBL cut the price in half. This makes me think the speaker is intended to sell for a thousand dollars a pair. It also seems JBL manufactures this speaker with materials, and techniques commonly used by other manufactures for speakers in the $1000 dollar a pair price range. At any rate, I've been enjoying my JBL L100t3's since 1986 for my main listening area; yet, I may get the 530's,590's or Stage A170's for my dining room, based on Z and Steve Guttenberg reviews. Both alluding to effortless volume for life-like sound. That's what I get in spades from my L100t3's. It is indeed like being there.

The Studio 5 series is being discontinued. That is why there are occasional sales. The 2 series is also going away. The 580s, 570s and most of the 2 series are gone. I also own the 230 speakers bought for $300 a pair on sale. Pretty descent for the money.
 
During Munich Hi-End 2018, and again in 2019- I was working in the VAC/Von Schweikert room, with the Ultra 11 (2018) and Ultra 9 (2019) speakers. Both have the "Ambient Array" (rear mounted dome and ribbon tweeter array, made to restore proper omnidirectional power balance).

The room was very long and narrow- and we had the speakers about 6 feet out from the rear wall, to avoid a sound anomaly that was happening due to a ceiling beam that was just over the speakers (if the speakers were behind the beam, they sounded unbalanced and the imaging was off- but when they were brought outward in front of the beam, the anomalies seemed to disappear).

During setup, I noted that the sound was ALMOST IDENTICAL, directly behind the speakers, as it was in front. I mean, I was getting IMAGING and SOUNDSTAGING back there, standing next to the rear wall.

I started demonstrating this to visitors to the room- after they had listened in the normal listening area in front of the speakers, I took them BEHIND the speakers- and mentioned to them that they may notice how similar the tonal balance and sound was to being directly in front.

There were many wide eyes, as many people almost couldn't believe their own ears- at how similar the sound was in the rear as in the front...

So- it IS at least fundamentally possible, to get a very close match in tonal balance, in almost all directions- if it's done right... we demonstrated it!

Regards,
Gordon.


at my other place, I had my maggies just under halfway out in the room for this very reason. Unfortunately, layout precludes this from happening here.

awesome and precise soundstage in front of and behind the speakers filling the room. If any of y'all have a room large enough, try it, you might never put your maggies back near the 'back' wall again.
 
The Studio 5 series is being discontinued. That is why there are occasional sales. The 2 series is also going away. The 580s, 570s and most of the 2 series are gone. I also own the 230 speakers bought for $300 a pair on sale. Pretty descent for the money.
Is being discontinued? In the past two years there have been at least 3 occasions where the 590's were on sale and sold out. This means more were produced, not discontinued. Maybe they have been discontinued, if so, I will likely get a pair of the new JBL Stage A170's.
 
FWIW, the boxes for my new 590’s say they were manufactured in Nov. 2018, pretty close serial numbers. Maybe if they have too many sitting in the warehouse for a year, they try to clear them out for new products? I was kind of hoping they would have too many 530’s sitting around.
 
Wow....a $1000 a side? For that kind of money, I could build a new pair of cabinets and cover them in walnut before I'd strip them and re-veneer. Well, maybe. I'm assuming they are vinyl veneer? Their website doesn't really say. It's too bad they don't still offer the real wood veneer finish here in the states like they did overseas. I really want a pair of these; I think I could be quite content with a pair of them from what I've read. They could potentially end up replacing the Belle clones I built....who knows.

I was going to modify mine this way with off-the-shelf 4" and 3/8" veneer on the front area only. After receiving them in the mail, I decided to keep them all black. The all black ones look pretty bad-ass in person.

JBL Project.png
 
I was going to modify mine this way with off-the-shelf 4" and 3/8" veneer on the front area only. After receiving them in the mail, I decided to keep them all black. The all black ones look pretty bad-ass in person.

View attachment 1671429
Oooh! I really like the trim panels! Maybe in ten years I'll do that to mine, as I'm not a fan of black speakers.
Mine were also manufactured in dec 2018, and are 10 serial numbers apart
 
Well, to keep this long and winding thread sort of alive, I have ordered a pair of the JBL at 439 each.. they are backordered until Dec 25. When I get them I can compare them with Ohm Walsh 2, BA -A150s, Martin Gamma SSS, and AR TSW-910s. The only issue with the AR is that they lost WAF and have to remain in the garage (until my neighbor helps me bring them upstairs).

I will keep you posted!

A
 
Well, to keep this long and winding thread sort of alive, I have ordered a pair of the JBL at 439 each.. they are backordered until Dec 25. When I get them I can compare them with Ohm Walsh 2, BA -A150s, Martin Gamma SSS, and AR TSW-910s. The only issue with the AR is that they lost WAF and have to remain in the garage (until my neighbor helps me bring them upstairs).

I will keep you posted!

A

Yes and I have a pair on order :D


Well? How do you guys like them so far? You never came back and updated! Or are there threads elsewhere....
 
Sorry for missing this! So, it turns out my order was suspended by my boss due to WAF, yet again. I do have some nice ESS headphones now though so there is that.

A
 
Back
Top Bottom