• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DISCO anyone?

I like some of the Bee Gees' and Donna Summer tunes. They took their music seriously, unlike most. Then again, I liked the Bee Gees before disco. Remember their folk/rock tunes anyone?
 
Time for another admission, I mean, we are all friends here.
I can remember doing the YMCA hand motions along with the music blaring and the lights flashing.
There was another dance-along done to a Bachman Turner Overdrive song....I can't think of it right now...keep thinking the Gator. That sound familiar to anyone?
Found it.
Ok, some things may be better NOT remebered....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKE-8lxHpY
 
Last edited:
Ah yes, memories.
The drinks were cheap, the women easy, the sex was safe.
Flashing light dance floor with 1000 watts (or more) pounding out "Push push in the bush" and "Born to be Alive".
 
I confess to owning a Pink Lady LP but other than that, Disco gets no play in my house.

My father was 31 when Disco Demolition Night occurred and I remember as a child, well into the 90s, his vocal hatred of disco. Still to this day he hates it. He calls it music for people who wanted nothing more than to do drugs and get STDs. He was quite happy when Country music took over the airwaves in the late 70s, early 80s.

As someone born after Disco, I really don't get the hate. The only thing that comes close to the hatred of disco is the modern day hatred of Justin Beiber.

So what was the hatred for? I don't like the music but then, I don't care much for rap, synthpop or modern country hat acts; I just don't know that I would go to all the trouble of wearing a T-shirt that expresses my dismissal of that music as a legitimate artform (e.g. Disco Sucks) If someone wants to clue me in on what the big deal was, I'd be much obliged.
 
In it's day, I despised the disco trend because as a bandmate and studio player based in Miami, it was difficult to land paying jobs where one's musical aesthetic(s) weren't juked by the seemingly mindless and endless beat of the big D. And oh the "wah" demands. Ugh! Fast forward 20-something years, I could at last enjoy several of the classic Disco sides, though i still tend toward Sesame Disco by the Sesame Street gang. Gloria Gaynor rocked! (er, discoed)
 
Last edited:
In it's day, I despised the disco trend because as a bandmate and studio player based in Miami, it was difficult to land paying jobs where one's musical aesthetic(s) weren't juked by the seemingly mindless and endless beat of the big D. And oh the "wah" demands. Ugh! Fast forward 20-something years, I could at last enjoy several of the classic Disco sides, though i still tend toward Disco Fever by the Sesame Street gang. Gloria Gaynor rocked! (er, discoed)

I think Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco is the only Disco song I like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKW7TIjqZAA
 
OK, I thought I was the only one left in the country with a copy of Sesame Street Fever:
DSCF9101.jpg


I like the genre, but I grew up in the 70's listening to it on FM radio. I thought that's what black music was. The thing that killed disco was that it was a fad that got too popular. EVERYBODY cut a disco record: Stones, Herb Alpert, Dolly Parton & even Ethel Mermon. There's an Arthur Fiedler Boston Pops disco LP called "Saturday Night Fiedler". MFSB's "TSOP" set the mold and everybody set their latest compositions to that beat. Once that happened, there was no escape from the "Philadelphia Sound".

I love Donna Summer but Bee Gees & KC get respectbale spin time on my TT's. Other standout Disco singles in my collection:

Crown Heights Affair - "Dreaming A Dream"
Rick Dees - "Disco Duck"
Rhythm Heritage - "SWAT Theme"
Lipps, Inc. - "Funkytown"
Van McCoy - "The Hustle"
Lou Rawls - "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine"

I mentioned this in another thread, but I did a term paper on Disco in college and submitted it with a beat-mixed cassette of all songs referenced in the report. Prof. gave me an A- & kept the tape! :scratch2:

Also - dumb coincidence - this is post #77 for me. How appropriate!
 
Last edited:
I was referring to this one:

l.jpg


...but I quite enjoyed the Saturday Night fever parody, too. (guess I should edit my original post, remove the word "fever" for sake of accuracy)
 
Oh man, the Ethel Merman disco album is so classically awesome bad down to the kaftan on the cover...
 

Attachments

  • EthelMermanDiscoAlbum.jpg
    EthelMermanDiscoAlbum.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 7
Oh man, the Ethel Merman disco album is so classically awesome bad down to the kaftan on the cover...

Frightening. For this she is (was) deserving of every ounce (um, whiff?) of suffering she endured in the, um, company, of one Ernie Borgnine. (I willl not elaborate; let the internet be your informant on this topic)
 
Frightening. For this she is (was) deserving of every ounce (um, whiff?) of suffering she endured in the, um, company, of one Ernie Borgnine. (I willl not elaborate; let the internet be your informant on this topic)

I don't have my copy of this LP at hand, but I do recall the liner notes saying something to the effect of the arranger was reluctant to take on this project initially, than was pleasantly surprized how it turned out. Gee, textbook definition of "Damning with faint praise"...?

I never knew there was a 2nd Sesame Disco LP. "Fever" came out in '78 & must have sold enough to justify a follow-up. Joe Raposo's work is timeless!
 
Back
Top Bottom