• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DISCO anyone?

I confess to owning a Pink Lady LP but other than that, Disco gets no play in my house.

My father was 31 when Disco Demolition Night occurred and I remember as a child, well into the 90s, his vocal hatred of disco. Still to this day he hates it. He calls it music for people who wanted nothing more than to do drugs and get STDs. He was quite happy when Country music took over the airwaves in the late 70s, early 80s.

As someone born after Disco, I really don't get the hate. The only thing that comes close to the hatred of disco is the modern day hatred of Justin Beiber.

So what was the hatred for? I don't like the music but then, I don't care much for rap, synthpop or modern country hat acts; I just don't know that I would go to all the trouble of wearing a T-shirt that expresses my dismissal of that music as a legitimate artform (e.g. Disco Sucks) If someone wants to clue me in on what the big deal was, I'd be much obliged.
Maybe it was just "cool" to hate disco?
Or maybe many people that hated disco just plain had no rhythm?
 
I was in junior high during the disco heydays. Loved going to "Teen Night" at the local bar/disco on sunday nights in the summer. Girls, music and dancing, what's not to like? Still have plenty of fondness for those funky disco tunes. Think I'll spin some Commodores today . . . She's a brick hoooouse!
Good times, y'all!
 
I was too young to really experience the hay day of disco first hand unfortunately, but if there ever was a guilty pleasure for me, disco is it. having grown up within different punk scenes, disco surely was quite the unaccepted music for the tolerant punks.
it could be that it was just the irreconcilable musical differences, I mean metal was hated in an equal fashion including by me. I have since grown up, fortunately.
I saw a documentary on BBC4 a while back where the link between homophobia and the general disliking of the disco scene was made. also, the introduction of aids/HIV during that era played a significant role.
not sure if that was the only and absolute reason for the disco sucks sentiments back then. it was an interesting take on that era nonetheless.

pretty girls (who for sure weren't there in the punk scene), lots of drugs and friendly people where in the disco scene. what's not to like? ;)
 
Used to shun it, but growing up and coming to appreciate R&B, Funk and Soul made me love disco which was indeed the most commercially successful incarnation of those genres... prior to hip-hop.
 
Hopefully, just you.

:lmao:

Seriously, I like the Bee Gees since they actually put some effort into making good music and had some sort of lyrical content as opposed to K.C. & Sunshine "That's the way uh huh, uh huh..." Otherwise, I was glad to see disco depart. Unfortunately, club music came along later which is even worse IMO.:no:
 
What disco went out of style?!? I guess I'll have to give my big brother, JT4me1, his "His" jeans and velour shirt back now.

I still will pull out a little Saturday Night Fever when it's family dance night. Kiss' "I Was Made for Loving You" gets ample play time on the Wii "Just Dance".

Dave
 
I like some of the Bee Gees' and Donna Summer tunes. They took their music seriously, unlike most. Then again, I liked the Bee Gees before disco. Remember their folk/rock tunes anyone?

I definitely do! I was 30 in 76 so you can figure out how old I am now.
I still like Disco.....and yes I have some ABBA also.
 
Time for another admission, I mean, we are all friends here.
I can remember doing the YMCA hand motions along with the music blaring and the lights flashing.
There was another dance-along done to a Bachman Turner Overdrive song....I can't think of it right now...keep thinking the Gator. That sound familiar to anyone?
Found it.
Ok, some things may be better NOT remebered....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKE-8lxHpY

Oh yes YMCA......just did those hand motions at a wedding reception last summer.
 
What disco went out of style?!? I guess I'll have to give my big brother, JT4me1, his "His" jeans and velour shirt back now.

Dave

Yes, please, give them back! Might be a bit "snug-fitting" today, but that's cool. Once, twice, three times a lady . . .

I'll stop wearing those sweet 70's clothes, if you give up your racing speedos!:no:
 
Yes, please, give them back! Might be a bit "snug-fitting" today, but that's cool. Once, twice, three times a lady . . .

I'll stop wearing those sweet 70's clothes, if you give up your racing speedos!:no:

Ha! I'll never stop wearing the Speedo! I had forgotten about the Commodores. We sure had fun at those dances! Could you show me how to roll up my sleeves one more time John?

And I believe the closing song was always either KC "Please Don't Go" or "Stairway to Heaven". It's a toss up as to which one has stood the test of time better.

Dave
 
Last edited:
Been listening to a 3 cd set called "Forever Disco".
"New stereo recordings by the original artists".
Packaged in a metal (tin?) box with a cardboard tr-ifold cd holder.
upload_2020-3-7_11-37-1.jpeg

My best guess is that it is performances from some PBS shows.
Back up band is good, performances are quite close to the original recordings, most of the artists sound like they did back in the day.
Recording quality is good in my opinion.
Except for one thing...the BASS is OVERWHELMING.
Now I like bass, but the bass on this set is ridiculous.
I have to turn the bass knob way down from centered to make it listenable.
But if you like disco and huge bass this set might be worth looking for.
 
Back
Top Bottom