• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you absolutely love your stereo?.......

I'll go with consensus. I'm pleased with what I have. I have no short term upgrade plans, but there are some Ascend floor standing speakers that are calling my name.

I have never been quick to change or upgrade. I kept the same turntable for 30 years. One of my amps dates to 1982 and it's not because I'm a vintage fan.

There are folks who change out their rig more times in a year than I have in 50 years. They used to baffle me, but I've grown to appreciate they just have a different approach to the hobby than I have.
 
I am happy with what I got, and it sounds very nice. I just changed speakers, so I still got some work to do to optimize things. I also want to try a DSP in the system, and see what is possible with that.

With that said, I do have some Wish list pieces, such as a SME IV or V, and the Phase Tech P1A cartridge. When the kids are grown up I will buy a set of dream speakers, which are large form horns of some sort.

I will buy an interesting piece or two to explore things. I have on the way a N.E.W. DAC 33 amp to experiment with. It is a 33 WPC Class A amp with battery power supply. Will be able to run more conventional style speakers than my SET amp can, so it has some utility to me.

But for what its worth, I am content with what I own. It is not the most expensive gear out there, and its kind of a hodgepodge of aesthetics, but I do enjoy the way it sounds.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Very satisfied.

Conrad Johnson pre
Parasound amp
Dual CS5000 TT
CAL cd deck
JBL L112s

I may never change it....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
I absolutely love my stereo, completely happy with it.. it makes me smile and brings me immense joy...

and I absolutely want to completely change every single component.

I wonder what Tubes would do to my speakers?. I wonder what a pair of Cornwalls would sound like with a SET amp etc etc etc.

I wish I lived in a mansion and I could have a different setup in each room.
 
I do, definitely, especially once I got my Tandberg TR2080, but every once in a while I wonder how much better really high-end stuff would sound, then I think about my not having any money for really high-end stuff...

Then I just throw on a record, sit back, and am blissfully happy.

Perhaps someday I'll get that Palmer tt, but I'm not holding my breath...
 
Last edited:
I love my set up. In all honesty, I listen to my system more than I watch tv. Much more enjoyable most of the time. I have plans for a few upgrades, mainly a DAC to run from my computer, but I also plan on putting some solid speakers in my stereo cabinet as well as a computer inside to separate my gaming rig from my sound. As of right now the cabinet is just used as a shelf to display my gear on haha
 
Love my whole system except my speakers.

But my speakers sound fine so ok. Not getting new ones any time soon. Maybe never. But they do need a crossover restoration (caps). Someday. No hurry at all. Sounds fine as is.

But I do 'like' my speakers... a lot. But I don't ' love ' them. Big box with AlNiCos... nice sound. I have no idea why they sound so nice...1970 untouched.

I'd like to get a fine pair of JBLs. Been saying that since 1970. Maybe someday :) . But haven't really even 'looked' yet. Just a thought.
 
Last edited:
Damn straight. I'm absolutely delighted with my systems. I am not changing a thing for a while.

The only thing I'm buying this year (as far as I am aware) is more Vinyl.

same here. FINALLY got everything totally in sync with my classical/jazz/opera listening preferences so all's right in my world. Now time to shop for more vinyl
 
"Yes" and "I don't know yet".

My secondary systems sound far better than they have any right to, especially the living room system: Yamaha C-4/Epicure M1/Vandersteen 2C, Ariston RD11s and other assorted sources. A system one can listen to for countless hours and just keep going. Even sounds convincing from two rooms away (as at the moment).

My "critical listening" set up is in hiatus and transition at the moment. Conrad Johnson PV-12/MV-45, Opera Consonance PM-1 phono pre and Reference 3A De Capos. I'm planning on putting in a ROK B-12H with two or three arms. The space it will be going into isn't ready yet and I haven't heard all of the parts playing together, but I have pretty high hopes it will work out well. This is the one that really counts when you come right down to it. Fingers crossed!
 
A big YES! My setup comprises of:

Audioengine AW1 wireless DAC
Denon DVD-1930CI (BB DAC chip) for CD's
Pioneer SX-1980, recapped and restored
Polk SDA-1C's, also recapped and restored
DIY speaker cables, 14ga high strand OFC wire with gold pin connectors
RCA interconnects, these here: RCA Ultimate Performance PD6A
Or, in the case of the AW1, a Mediabridge 3.5mm to L&R RCA cable.

I love that setup so much it's becoming hard to find stuff that really impresses me. I even went to a high end audio store to hear some of the latest and greatest gear that's out now and I still wasn't impressed. I demoed their McIntosh gear, C2300 preamp with a MCD1100 CD player running through an MC452 amp that powered XR50 speakers. And yet the stuff I use easily matched it. I could only discern noticeable differences in the highs, the presentation of McIntosh gear was more crisp, almost to the point of being very bright, where as my setup is slightly more refined. Imaging, soundstage and overall transparency however was all but indiscernible.

I also demoed some Aerial Model 7T speakers, same results. More crisp and bright up top, but pretty much the same as far as everything else is concerned. The Polk's dig deeper than either speaker, but I'm allowing for the fact that the Aerial's only have two 7" woofers in a sealed cabinet and the McIntosh has one 6" woofer with a ported cabinet, where as the Polks have four 6.5" woofer/midranges with a 12" passive radiator. Both demo rooms were treated as well, bass traps, acoustic panels, the whole nine yards.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to start a debate over vintage vs new, I'm simply stating that based on what I've been able to listen to as far as new audio gear, I will be happy with my vintage stuff for a long time. Having an audiophile friend come over for a demo and after listening to 3 songs says, "I'd use this as my reference system any day," helped as well. :D
 
Yes. I just wish my house was larger so I could have all the consoles upstairs instead of in the basement. It's such a pain in the ass ( BACK, KNEES, etc.) to hump one upstairs and the other downstairs. 150-250# for the cabinets, not including the guts.
 
Hi Everyone,

Just sitting here blasting some old Zep, very, very loud, and I have to admit my current audio gear makes me so happy. I've had competent stuff throughout the years but right now is my personal pinnacle. I have no interest in making any component substitutions right now.

How about you? Are you extremely satisfied with your stereo right now? So satisfied that you don't have any current upgrade plans?

Thanks,
Terry

Very satisfied...for now! :thmbsp:

I'm now acquiring more music as opposed to gear and tweaks.
 
Back
Top Bottom