• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you guys ever change out the knobs on your equipment?

Michiganamps

Active Member
Hello all, I just wanted to ask anyone if they change out their knobs on older equipment. I'm going to post pictures of my stereo, but basically it came with some of the El chepo looking brown Fisher style knobs and I really didn't like them, so I had a Kenwood that I scavenged for parts and long story short I think the results look more "classy" note there are 2 black knobs just because I didn't have the extra 2 aluminum knobs, but I still think it looks better than before and I still have them set aside just in case! Just as a side note, what do you guys do to replace knobs that have 2, one for one channel and one for the other? Those are a little more tricky for me! First photo is the "new" knobs and second is the original ones!
IMG_20190621_001302829.jpg
IMG_20190612_214028.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I prefer the softer, looser original knobs. Sure, new knobs might perk up appearance, but they may well lose the tactile feel of the original that has become familiar. When it comes to the feel of a knob between my fingers, I'll take them natural, as originally produced.
 
A vote for OEM. When I'm buying vintage gear it's one of the 1st obvious things I look at. If it's janky and I'm not up to fixing it then pass. Sidenote rant while I don't like LED upgrades I fess up, if it's a PITA dial pointer or mode indicator I've gone to the dark side.

But everyone can have their own opinion.
 
Not much of an OCD guy.
I tend to like original matching knobs if possible.
On a home brew , I might consider changing:idea:
 
It's the OP's equipment, like the sound of his system, it only has to please him.

He's done the wise thing and put the original Knobs in storage so that he can restore the Lafayette to it's OEM state should he decide to sell it.

Mark Gosdin
 
Knob swaps are pretty common with McIntosh gear owners because over the years they had a couple styles. They had a vintage looking one and two more modern styles, depending on the look that they want they switch them.

However, this switch is done with knobs that match the size to location and the same styles in all locations. With mac knobs this can cost hundreds of dollars and look factory original, only known to people that really know the equipment.

Randomly grabbing knobs from dead equipment, mismatching size color and styles looks pretty bad. To me it screams the unit hasn't been cared for, been duct taped together on the cheap just to make it work. I would never buy a unit posted for sale that looked like that because of this impression that's being made.
 
I have 2 DB Systems Preamps. One with original black knobs and another with the later metal ones. I do it to tell them apart. Will be interesting when I acquire the 3rd one.
 
Back
Top Bottom