• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you guys ever change out the knobs on your equipment?

The knobs have to match. I'm slightly less concerned about them being original as being all the same and of some reasonable cosmetic match to the rest of it. The originals on that wouldn't bother me, but they aren't exactly anything special either.
 
Consistent, ideally factory, knobbage is crucial. Nothing says "I don't give a **** about aesthetics" like mismatched, unoriginal knobs.

If you must change them, at least find a set of consistently-styled replacements for all the knobs, not just some of them.

Dave,you should add the term ''factory knobbage'' to the AK Glossary:)

Oh cripes,maybe not! It'll just turn into another stupid buzz-phrase used by gear flippers; ''Minty,and with factory knobbage!!!!''

Over to you mate:smoke:
 
Dave,you should add the term ''factory knobbage'' to the AK Glossary:)

Oh cripes,maybe not! It'll just turn into another stupid buzz-phrase used by gear flippers; ''Minty,and with factory knobbage!!!!''

Over to you mate:smoke:

I believe we all know

Mint condition rare mid century modern vintage factory knobbage

immediately quadruples the price and is followed by the first pic showing a gouge somewhere, probably where 11 should be. Which is fine as long as there's a cat in the picture as well.

Matching them for OCD and saving the factory knobbage for resale does show merit.
 
Updated knobs on a couple Macs to newer style McIntosh knobs - mainly to match the MPI4 scope on top. DSC04641.JPG DSC05029.JPG
 
Once.

I purchased a used Audio Research SP-9MKIII in natural finish and wanted to switch to anodized black to match other gear. Bought a replacement faceplate and knobs directly from ARC. Sold the original parts on Audiogon for someone wanting to do the exact opposite! Used two more for gain controls in a DIY attenuator box I built as well.

Kinda pricey at $30/knob. :)

se2_front.jpg
 
Last edited:
Once.

I purchased a used Audio Research SP-9MKIII in natural finish and wanted to switch to anodized black to match other gear. Bought a replacement faceplate and knobs directly from ARC. Sold the original parts on Audiogon for someone wanting to do the exact opposite! Used two more for gain controls in a DIY attenuator box I built as well.

Kinda pricey at $30/knob. :)

se2_front.jpg
Those look very nice!
 
I believe we all know

Mint condition rare mid century modern vintage factory knobbage

immediately quadruples the price and is followed by the first pic showing a gouge somewhere, probably where 11 should be. Which is fine as long as there's a cat in the picture as well.

Matching them for OCD and saving the factory knobbage for resale does show merit.
The scratch marks were already there BTW that's why in the second pic with the original knobs I have the yellowed plastic knob behind it the original stepped knob was gone so I improvised and made that one myself because I couldn't stand looking at the scratches
 
15611888450398850797924252085360.jpg
And I know there's scratches on the shelf, my dumb self didn't put feet on the receiver when I first bought it so as a result the screws from the bottom plate scratched the wood.. it didn't have feet because it was a console pull, so that's why the face plate is bent outwards at the edges as well! I tried my best to straighten it out when I removed the faceplate to clean the dial, but I wasn't successful In bending it completely back to how it was.
 
And **** it thanks for all the help from you guys with my equipment! Dont worry you wont see me around here anymore I'm just a dumb 20 year old! And I'm autistic so I'm so sorry for my OCD I just thought it would look "cool" or "different" and BTW it's so easy to degrade someone on the internet without actually knowing someone, so thanks again!
 
Last edited:
At the end of the day, we are just a bunch of OCD HiFi buffs. Don't take any notice of us and enjoy the gear. We are just stirring you up about the knobs.

:)
 
And I'm autistic so I'm so sorry for my OCD I just thought it would look "cool" or "different"

Seriously, everyone who has a slightly perfectionistic trait or bunch of traits supposedly 'has autistic tendencies' or is 'on the spectrum' these days. If lining up or matching knobs on your HiFi is OCD, we've all got it.

Cheers.
 
And **** it thanks for all the help from you guys with my equipment! Dont worry you wont see me around here anymore I'm just a dumb 20 year old! And I'm autistic so I'm so sorry for my OCD I just thought it would look "cool" or "different" and BTW it's so easy to degrade someone on the internet without actually knowing someone, so thanks again!
I don't think anyone meant any harm. The folks who commented in a fashion you took exception to are pretty ok people, really. Just having some fun, and just voicing an opinion.

Stick around.
 
I, too, am of the opinion that all knobs should match and be as close to the original look as possible.

But that's just me.
 
Back
Top Bottom