• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does anybody else match their interior decor/furniture to their gear? Pics.

If you want wood-veneer baffles and flat response, find a pair of Marantz Imperial 8 or 9 speakers....and get ready to re-arrange the loft. :lmao:

Not sure I could deal with the blue woofers, though! My dad has Imperial 6 or 7s, they sound pretty nice. I had DQ-10s in here, those were pretty big, but I didn't think they sounded good enough for the amount of floor space they took up. There was just no place to put them where I wasn't tripping over them, as they had to be pretty far out from the walls to sound their best. I also have a pair of Epicure 400s stacked on top of each other in the closet...not sure what I'll ever do with those, either. But they're mid century modern! They're just tall, black and wood rectangles. About as minimal as you can get (and also about 100 lbs).
 
Same here. Looks like they found the right home though.

Funny, isn't it, that swearing off gear usually coincides with finding a whole bunch of stuff you can't pass up?

You're not kidding. Since you were over here (getting rid of the Vandies was part of my 'no more gear' declaration) I've replaced almost everything that actually gets played, except for the poweramp and speakers in the main system. But it was all stuff I'd been wanting...I'm finally at a place where I've (mostly) figured out the sound I want, and can begin filling in the gaps, and start getting rid of all the stuff I tried out/owned to get to this point, that doesn't have the sound I landed on.
 
You guys have got to check this out:

http://www.midcenturymodernist.com/2008/11/late-1950s-mid.html

It's some sort of promo reel, circa 1958, with scenes of home and office jam-packed with coolsville modernist stuff.

That was fantastic! Thanks for sharing that. If you watch long enough..they go to a bowling alley. What's funny to me about that is that bowling alleys are just about the only place I ever see any of the '60s modern look anymore, outside of people's homes and fancy hotels or restaurants. It's not because they're trying..it just seems they haven't had the money to upgrade the place since then. You can always tell when an area of a city 'peaked' by the decor of its bowling alley.
 
Great point about the bowling alleys. They're kind of a time capsule that registers the highwater mark and then never gets updated again.

Here is another one I just found at the same site (www.midcenturymodernist.com, posted by eThink earlier). It's a film ad for a Kodak camera. Looks like mid 60s to me. The framing of the shots, the editing, control of depth of field and that kind of thing is really beautiful -- as you would expect since it was done by the Eames. They make the camera look as alluring as an iPhone. You want to reach into the film and touch it.

http://www.midcenturymodernist.com/2008/09/polaroid-sx-70.html
 
Not sure I could deal with the blue woofers, though! My dad has Imperial 6 or 7s, they sound pretty nice. I had DQ-10s in here, those were pretty big, but I didn't think they sounded good enough for the amount of floor space they took up. There was just no place to put them where I wasn't tripping over them, as they had to be pretty far out from the walls to sound their best. I also have a pair of Epicure 400s stacked on top of each other in the closet...not sure what I'll ever do with those, either. But they're mid century modern! They're just tall, black and wood rectangles. About as minimal as you can get (and also about 100 lbs).

I made Dyanaco-ish linen grilles for my 8s, though they're very easy to pop off. They're probably my most mid-century styled furniture right now - simple, proportional walnut-veneered boxes with matching short pedestals. They may have been made in the late 70s, but no one would notice them in a house full of 50s-modern furniture.
 
I made Dyanaco-ish linen grilles for my 8s, though they're very easy to pop off. They're probably my most mid-century styled furniture right now - simple, proportional walnut-veneered boxes with matching short pedestals. They may have been made in the late 70s, but no one would notice them in a house full of 50s-modern furniture.

Good design is timeless. I think my Sony SS-m7 are really nice looking, though the trapezoid design is completely functional to avoid reflections and to let the upper drivers almost behave like a separate stand mounted monitor, as far as imaging. They're from the late '80s or early '90s but in this room, nobody would ever guess that.

It's funny..I just looked around my place...and almost everything in here is older than I am.
 
It's funny..I just looked around my place...and almost everything in here is older than I am.

As it should be John. Our landfills would be emptier if that idea were more prevalent.

Congrats on the vintage B&Ws. BTW, I picked up the B&W DM-3000s but have to wait for son to get home before I unpack them and put them in a system.
 
It's funny..I just looked around my place...and almost everything in here is older than I am.

Outside of some crappy furniture, my house is the same way. Even one of my cars is older than I am! (as is a truck waiting for a rebuild at my parents' house...)
 
I couldn't wait to post this - hopefully I can attach an iPhone pic. Mid-century Lane rolling record cabinet in great shape except a bit of veneer damage on the back. Even has the key stapled to the lid, never removed. Paid $80 - the seller had $95 firm on in, but it's been sitting in the flea market for ages.

Damn - can't figure out how to attach a pic from here.
 
Can't wait to see it! If I ran across a mid-century record cabinet, I'd definitely find a place for it.

I just got a web-enabled phone myself, similar to the iPhone, and within a week have used it about 5 times to research things I've found while out and about. The scroungers secret weapon.
 
Last edited:
As it should be John. Our landfills would be emptier if that idea were more prevalent.

Congrats on the vintage B&Ws. BTW, I picked up the B&W DM-3000s but have to wait for son to get home before I unpack them and put them in a system.

Those look like great speakers, Bob. Are they black or wood? My search pulled up both. Either one looks cool, and I bet they sound fantastic. They look like they might be quite a bit bigger than the Regas. I listened to the DM-2s until 2am last night and had to drag myself away from them to get some sleep. Are they better than my Sonys? No, but they're very different in a way that I really like. Killer midrange. I've only heard a couple pairs of B&Ws, but I've liked each of them.
 
Can't wait to see it! If I ran across a mid-century record cabinet, I'd definitely find a place for it.

I just got a web-enabled phone myself, similar to the iPhone, and within a week have used it about 5 times to research things I've found while out and about. The scroungers secret weapon.

Same here. Great for thrift stores.

Here's the cabinet (the latch button is even marked "Lane" on the face - nice touch)! I ended up passing on a very cool walnut Admiral mid-century tube table radio as the cord was dangerous, the FM tuner wouldn't do anything, and they wouldn't go below $7. I did get a nice 50s Vornado fan for $20, though, along with a two deck box of Mobil playing cards (I collect Mobil Pegasus stuff, long story) and a fascinating bit of vinyl that will be posted in the "music score" thread shortly.
 

Attachments

  • cabinet1.jpg
    cabinet1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 76
  • cabinet2.jpg
    cabinet2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That's a cool looking record cabinet. I like that it opens from the top...except that you can't stack gear on it!

Somewhere, probably storage, I have a pair of speaker stands that are a pretty close match to that cabinet. They're actually more like speaker-coasters. They're square, have 4 gold caster wheels and what looks like a small teak pallet that the speaker sits on. And then you can roll it around. Terrible for sound quality but kind of neat looking. My KLH 6s used to sit on them where the B&Ws are now.

Lane made good, solid furniture. At least my couch is solid. They made all kinds, it wasn't all mid-century modern. I think drexel was the same way. A lot of design back then was more main-stream, whereas today it seems to have become the exception and not the norm. But I didn't live back then, so maybe I'm just imagining that it was better.
 
That's a cool looking record cabinet. I like that it opens from the top...except that you can't stack gear on it!

Somewhere, probably storage, I have a pair of speaker stands that are a pretty close match to that cabinet. They're actually more like speaker-coasters. They're square, have 4 gold caster wheels and what looks like a small teak pallet that the speaker sits on. And then you can roll it around. Terrible for sound quality but kind of neat looking. My KLH 6s used to sit on them where the B&Ws are now.

Lane made good, solid furniture. At least my couch is solid. They made all kinds, it wasn't all mid-century modern. I think drexel was the same way. A lot of design back then was more main-stream, whereas today it seems to have become the exception and not the norm. But I didn't live back then, so maybe I'm just imagining that it was better.

The early 50s Vornado is sitting on top of it right now, they harmonize quite well. It's lower than you probably think - about half the height of my Imperial 8s on their stands. Wheels, 1" slab, about 13", another 1" slab, and that's it. I talked to my mother before I bought it, and I think she was right in that it was made to be a bench as well as a record cabinet. Just the right height to sit on, and the wood construction is certainly stout enough. I know that Lane made (and I think still makes) all sorts of furniture, but as far as the vintage stuff goes, they seem to be known for their mid-century designs. I'll get a pic of it tucked into its new spot.
 
Lane really hit their stride with the Acclaim line circa 1963, which superceded HeyWake as the best selling line. They had the striking dovetailed oak bullnose surround. The interesting factoid was the table was birch, with the walnut being a veneer, and the oak dovetails also being veneered. The bullnose was solid oak, and along with the walnut legs, the only pieces that were both solid hardwood and "real".

After '63 Lane was the top dog for about five years, and that was when most of their good designs rolled out. And BTW, here is a shot of a recent get together with an Ampex console and HK tube gear in our rathskeller. Please disregard our six year old - he had a couple beers too many!

DSCN0738-1.jpg


I love the JBL Paragon inspired stereo rack we snagged. Dig the tapered front legs.

DSCN0722.jpg
 
Last edited:
That stereo rack is AWESOME. I have been looking for something like that for ages.

I once turned down a JBL Minigon system, for free, from a flipper-friend because it was broken into it's two separate halves and it just looked like another pair of speakers that I didn't need. Doh! Would have made the perfect side-board. One that makes music! But I found out what it was and he then sold it to Japan for money to buy a van. Not bad...mid century speakers for a van.
 
How did I miss this thread? Some of my favorite things- KLH and Mid Century Modern furnishings.

Nice stuff John. Me like. My house is mostly MidMod as well with several Danish Modern pieces. Goes well with the KLH and even the Pioneer.

I must disagree with the fella who said Danish Modern is just a marketing term. The Danes as well the other Scandinavians were historically great ship builders- think of Viking vessels. This eventually transferred to furniture. After WWII, the Danes, having been occupied, adopted a forward looking outlook in their furniture design. And with thousands of GIs stationed in Europe, they brought tons back to the States. All told, Scandinavian Design would probably be better.

Anyway, love the Eames chair. Must have.
 
Lane Furniture and my vintage audio pieces

Lane really hit their stride with the Acclaim line circa 1963, which superceded HeyWake as the best selling line. They had the striking dovetailed oak bullnose surround. The interesting factoid was the table was birch, with the walnut being a veneer, and the oak dovetails also being veneered. The bullnose was solid oak, and along with the walnut legs, the only pieces that were both solid hardwood and "real".

The Lane "Counterplay" line from the mid- to late 1970s was oiled walnut with oak trim. It is all solid wood and wood veneer. This remains my favorite Lane furniture after 30 years.

I bought this furniture for my bedroom as a "closeout" in 1979 in Stamford, CT. My KLH 200 table radio, walnut wood cabinet and speaker, coordinates nicely with the Lane furniture .

I also have Lane coffee tables and end tables in oiled walnut (a nice match for Large Advents, then my ads L810s and now ads L400s) in my living room.

I see that I also share an appreciation for Luxman 27x TTs with SheltieDave!
 
Back
Top Bottom