• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Does anyone make FLOOR speakers anymore?

arcorob

Addicted Member
I dont mean towers. I mean good old fashioned FLOOR speakers like the HPM-100's or HBL L100's.

I was seriously even going vintage and ran across some JBL 4311 Wxa'a AND JBL 4312;'s...but not sure if studio monitors is what I am looking for versons the aforementioned floor speaker types.

Can anyone comment ; Modern floor speakers and studio monitors vs the other types ?
 
Register to hide this ad
Technically, both the L100s and HPM-100s are bookshelf speakers (at least, they were when they were made). Frequently referred to here as "monkey coffins".

There's the modern L100 (i.e. "Classic") and the modern KLH Five. I believe both of those fit your description.
 
I dont mean towers. I mean good old fashioned FLOOR speakers like the HPM-100's or HBL L100's.

I was seriously even going vintage and ran across some JBL 4311 Wxa'a AND JBL 4312;'s...but not sure if studio monitors is what I am looking for versons the aforementioned floor speaker types.

Can anyone comment ; Modern floor speakers and studio monitors vs the other types ?
The speakers you reference can be played on the floor but most times would benefit from some type of stand to 1) get tweeters at ear level and 2) prevent boomy sounding bass. To answer your Q, yes. Check out KLH Heritage line. There are others as well.
 
Standard practice suggests your ears be at the same level as the tweeters as high frequencies are highly directional.
Floor speakers would present a problem in this regard unless they are tilted, the tweeters are angled up within the speaker or the speakers are on stands.
I'm not familiar w all the speakers mentioned. Maybe some have tweeters that are angled.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
 
I dont mean towers. I mean good old fashioned FLOOR speakers like the HPM-100's or HBL L100's.

I was seriously even going vintage and ran across some JBL 4311 Wxa'a AND JBL 4312;'s...but not sure if studio monitors is what I am looking for versons the aforementioned floor speaker types.

Can anyone comment ; Modern floor speakers and studio monitors vs the other types ?
..
Human Speakers: Direct Acoustics Silent Speaker II. They are a Winslow Burhoe design and built by Huw Powell at Human speakers. Worth a look.
..
 
Technically, both the L100s and HPM-100s are bookshelf speakers (at least, they were when they were made).
QFT

They are called bookshelf speakers because back in the day speakers like the Bozak Concert Grands, Urbans and others from many (most) companies were floor speakers until the introduction of the Acoustic Suspension design that brought Acoustic Research speakers to the masses. Speakers of the size of the AR-3 at 2 feet tall by about 1 foot by 1 foot were considered bookshelf speakers. Still are today even though some of the owner's literature said they were floor speakers. Reasons to get them off the floor are detailed above. Doesn't matter if they are acoustic suspension or ported in some way the size is the key.
 
What's wrong with towers?
I have towers. Now my polks I am sure dont stand up to high end but towers in general dont have the same PUNCH...(unless you spend a fortune) every tower I review ($2000 or less) always had the same reviews if they are honest "Tight bass and definately sounds better with a sub". Yup ...thats why I dont want towers.
 
Back
Top Bottom