• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does anyone make FLOOR speakers anymore?

Technically, both the L100s and HPM-100s are bookshelf speakers (at least, they were when they were made). Frequently referred to here as "monkey coffins".

There's the modern L100 (i.e. "Classic") and the modern KLH Five. I believe both of those fit your description.
Kinda funny if you think - Bookshelf speakers ? 56 lbs each ...LOL....I have the HPM's and they are a BITCH to lift :-)
 
There are over 300 speakers there, they are not all towers. My point was there are "floor" speakers to buy on just about every site, all you need to do it look, the internet is a wonderful thing when shopping.
Yeah, I am pretty good at research. You must admit, things have moved toward towers (in anything I can afford) . Maybe its me not wanting to change with the times...:-)
 
Yeah, I am pretty good at research. You must admit, things have moved toward towers (in anything I can afford) . Maybe its me not wanting to change with the times...:)
My current towers in my sig bumped My ADS 710s. Nothing wrong with towers if your in it for the sound.
 
JBL in the Synthesis series does, Klipsch still does with the Cornwall, La Scala, Corner horn and Forte models. Tannoy does as does Legacy. I don't know if you would consider Wilson as floor models. Then there are the cheap Magicos. How about a M9 at $750,000 a pair that weigh close to 1000 lbs. I am just kidding. If you are looking for speakers about 32 inch high and say 18 to 24 inch deep, there are very few if any at all out there. Something like this.41944103_10155794011588963_3039826613425405952_o.jpgDNT_8114.jpg [.jpg IMG_2229.jpg
 
Okay, so I just bought a set of JBL Stage A190's (monster sale). I would have preferred the sale on the Studio 590's but they were sold out :-(

I hope I like them ....I was really looking at the SVS Prime Pinnacles but the wallet ...Yikes. I got the JBL pair direct from JBL for $399 plust tax, free shipping. We'll see :-)
 
ProAc
Revel
Monitor Audio
KLH
Klipsch
KEF
focal
Polk
and many more offer good sounding tower speakers at various price points.
 
Okay, so I just bought a set of JBL Stage A190's (monster sale). I would have preferred the sale on the Studio 590's but they were sold out :-(

I hope I like them ....I was really looking at the SVS Prime Pinnacles but the wallet ...Yikes. I got the JBL pair direct from JBL for $399 plust tax, free shipping. We'll see :)
If you no like them, Emotiva has a sale on their Airmotiv T1+ for $499 a pair and the T2+ for $699. Both are nice prices.

https://emotiva.com/collections/airmotiv
 
ProAc
Revel
Monitor Audio
KLH
Klipsch
KEF
focal
Polk
and many more offer good sounding tower speakers at various price points.
Just FYI, YES, I am trying the JBL towers BUT if you note my first post I didnt WANT towers....I said FLOOR speakers (as in like the Wharfdale Linto style) :-)
 
Just FYI, YES, I am trying the JBL towers BUT if you note my first post I didnt WANT towers....I said FLOOR speakers (as in like the Wharfdale Linto style) :)
Oh, since you mentioned wanting the SVS and the jBL towers I didn't catch your intent. Hope you like the new towers.
 
Okay, so I just bought a set of JBL Stage A190's (monster sale). I would have preferred the sale on the Studio 590's but they were sold out :-(

I hope I like them ....I was really looking at the SVS Prime Pinnacles but the wallet ...Yikes. I got the JBL pair direct from JBL for $399 plust tax, free shipping. We'll see :)

$399 for the pair. That's really a bargain. The 590s have always been priced for each. I have the 590s and they provide quite the punch but for high volume and very low bass a sub might serve you well. I've had them bottom out with some movie tracks, kind of rare but it has happened. Dialogue is very easy to understand which includes song lyrics listening to music. I'm interested in what you think of the A190s. You are correct in that these are all towers but rather large and heavy towers that play loud if desired.
 
I dont mean towers. I mean good old fashioned FLOOR speakers like the HPM-100's or HBL L100's.

I was seriously even going vintage and ran across some JBL 4311 Wxa'a AND JBL 4312;'s...but not sure if studio monitors is what I am looking for versons the aforementioned floor speaker types.

Can anyone comment ; Modern floor speakers and studio monitors vs the other types ?

I made mine :

5ZyiOb-P1140010.jpg


Using BEYMA speakers : CP21/F, 8M60N, 12B100R

6ZyiOb-P1140008.jpg


QPGqMb-P1120847.jpg

With optional slanted riser bases :

KADsMb-P1120894.jpg


T
 
To be honest I would like AND COULD get something like a set of Martin Logan Motion 60's ...but let me be completly honest...I dont use that rig enough to warrant it...its more like an itch than a need. I am not even sure if the receiver I am using would sound that great (Marantz SR4023 ) which I can also use as a pre-amp and the Velleman tube amp,,,,which I have put up for sale but no bites. So it would sort of bite me in the butt to get a killer set of speakers, not have the input to do them justice (though my Fluance RT 85 always sounds good)

So maybe the JBL's will balance out what I feel the Polks are missing - they sound great with vinyl but there is something just "off" with streaming...kind of like the mids and highs are crashing which is odd because they dont with vinyl....sigh....Who knows...maybe it will be time for a complete rig revamp or leave well enough alone because like I say, with 7 systems (I kid you not) , this one is the least used even though I sit in front of it every day (my home office as I work remotely). Hard to have music playing there while i am in conference calls all day :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom