• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does anyone make FLOOR speakers anymore?

I like home decor and diy books and have a bunch of them from the '60s-'80s. Speakers the size of KLH Model 17s sideways on shelves are common in photos in these books. I remember seeing them like this in people's houses too.

Speakers any larger were usually on the floor or on tilted stands no taller than about six inches. The most common speaker shape was a rectangle up to about twice as tall as it was wide.

I don't know when speakers taller in relation to width started to be made, but I do know that Radio Shack sold "tower" speakers in the early '80s.

The choice of the word "tower" to describe such speakers has nothing to do with them being on the floor and everything to do with their height/width ratio being reminiscent of buildings called towers.

Most floorstanding speakers for the last twenty-five years have been tower speakers (hence this thread) but not much longer than that.
 
I have never payed any attention to the term "Bookshelf Speaker".......

My personal DIY view of what is a Bookshelf Speaker...

The CUBE : 200x200x200mm, 4" and 1/2" speakers

upload_2023-5-31_13-28-6.png
upload_2023-5-31_13-28-38.png

A bit bigger : the ALPAIR CUBE, 240x275x290mm, based on a 5" wide-band MarkAudio Alpair 10.3M speaker.

upload_2023-5-31_13-30-22.png
upload_2023-5-31_13-31-5.png

The 222L, 250x280x370mm, awaiting the delivery of the crossover parts and miscellanous to finish them, 7" and 1" speakers.

upload_2023-5-31_13-34-43.png
upload_2023-5-31_13-35-18.png

My personal DIY view of what is a Monitor / Floorstanding Speaker (below, during crossover tests in a large room)...

upload_2023-5-31_13-38-39.png

And here's what I consider to be a pertinent example - among many others - of a Column Speaker (Triangle Magellan) :

upload_2023-5-31_13-41-44.png

T
 
The panels (esl, or magneto dynamic) I use are all floor standers. The Magnepan I use for my CC speaker is designed for under or over TV placement and is shaped like many CC speakers. OTOH it has virtually no output below 100Hz. It's a lot like smaller bookshelf speakers in that respect.

I'm not sure how to classify my DIY TL subs. They are 8' tall concrete construction formers with 12" DVC drivers.
 
No. They're 12" ID cardboard tubes. Concrete is poured into them, allowed to harden, then the former is torn off. :)
 
You could buy Great Plains Audio custom Voice Of The Theater, park them in corners. Fill two or three megaplex screens full of audio from one pair, with a 10 watt amplifier and have plenty of headroom. SIze and height of refrigerators, or 6 foot plus tall adult human biped.
 
Floorstanders are everywhere ... people just call them towers now ...

Wide baffle speakers went the way of the dusty death when we discovered imaging ..
Wide baffles rarely if ever image well .. and never better than the same drivers in a narrower baffle ..

Gone the way of the dinosaurs ..
 
Trenner & Friedl. They call this model Pharoah. I bought these about a year ago. They will be the last speakers I buy.
Trenner-Friedl-PHAROAH-2020-Featured-01.jpg

View attachment 2899481
I know this post is 3 yrs old but I’m looking at the new models and checking in to see if you’re still liking them and how they truly work positioned close to back wall?
 
I dont mean towers. I mean good old fashioned FLOOR speakers like the HPM-100's or HBL L100's.

I was seriously even going vintage and ran across some JBL 4311 Wxa'a AND JBL 4312;'s...but not sure if studio monitors is what I am looking for versons the aforementioned floor speaker types.

Can anyone comment ; Modern floor speakers and studio monitors vs the other types ?

Klipsch, JBL, KLH, and a few others still make them
 
Back
Top Bottom