• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC have motor hum issues?

And that's the point, had you not had a bunch of fanboys making bias claims and got the whole story, you could have made an educated decision in the first place.

Your comment seems to imply someone having a good experience with the table he suddenly becomes a 'fanboy making bias claims' - that is just as aggressive stance as would be calling people with bad experience with it clueless zealots who don't know how to setup a turntable or something just as silly. But the 'whole story' really includes both the good and the bad. I know there's been several persons here on the forum who've been disappointed, but I've also seen a lot of happy owners.

Judging from needledrops it really is a rather nice table in it's price point, though shame about the QC issues and I can only hope they've fixed that since there's a shortage of good new TTs for affordable prices, though it seems the situation is perhaps improving a bit.

I don't think this hateful atmosphere around certain tables/brands like the Pro-Ject does Audiokarma any favors. The same thing usually happens when Rega is mentioned, suddenly you have bunch of people yelling how bad Rega tables are. Yet I don't know a single unhappy Planar owner and many have chosen one over more desirable and better (according to Audiokarma) TTs. Of course the unhappy ones are no longer Planar owners since they've moved on :D

Anyway I haven't owned a Pro-Ject or Rega myself and likely won't (though I've gotten a perverse curiosity about a Rega lately), but I still enjoy reading civil discussion about them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and forming one with as little or much knowledge as they have, but can we at least all be civil about them, makes for a lot more fun forum. If I was a Pro-Ject or Rega owner I think I'd choose other forums to take my discussion-business to :)
 
Your comment seems to imply someone having a good experience with the table he suddenly becomes a 'fanboy making bias claims' - that is just as aggressive stance as would be calling people with bad experience with it clueless zealots who don't know how to setup a turntable or something just as silly. But the 'whole story' really includes both the good and the bad. I know there's been several persons here on the forum who've been disappointed, but I've also seen a lot of happy owners.

Judging from needledrops it really is a rather nice table in it's price point, though shame about the QC issues and I can only hope they've fixed that since there's a shortage of good new TTs for affordable prices, though it seems the situation is perhaps improving a bit.

I don't think this hateful atmosphere around certain tables/brands like the Pro-Ject does Audiokarma any favors. The same thing usually happens when Rega is mentioned, suddenly you have bunch of people yelling how bad Rega tables are. Yet I don't know a single unhappy Planar owner and many have chosen one over more desirable and better (according to Audiokarma) TTs. Of course the unhappy ones are no longer Planar owners since they've moved on :D

Anyway I haven't owned a Pro-Ject or Rega myself and likely won't (though I've gotten a perverse curiosity about a Rega lately), but I still enjoy reading civil discussion about them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and forming one with as little or much knowledge as they have, but can we at least all be civil about them, makes for a lot more fun forum. If I was a Pro-Ject or Rega owner I think I'd choose other forums to take my discussion-business to :)

I personally love when people get whatever they like and want. Price point is irrelevant, but if it's new it should work as intended. I'm happy for the ones that got good tables to enjoy, but also feel the ones that didn't and got burnt, put though undo trouble. However, when you have an open thread asking for information and people give it. Then you have two people trying to suppress what others say, claiming all sorts of thing is ridiculous. The table has a bad rep for a reason and there is tons of information stating such.

The point is to give the information all of it.

I have personally gone into threads here that were to bash the crossly to defend it, as I feel nobody should bash anyones gear. there is some people on this site that own that table. But if I make a comment"I will never buy a table that has a 50/50 chance of not working" that is my view and opinion for me.
 
Last edited:
Interesting how is easy to find ''tons of information'', when one wants to! It also depends how some watch at the glass - full of water or half empty. Or is it fifty/fifty? :rolleyes:

Average Customer Review (just another source)

If I was a Pro-Ject or Rega owner I think I'd choose other forums to take my discussion-business to :)

Maybe. That way some of us ''fanboys'' (over 50) will be spared from spitting and insults!
 
Just saw your post, and I see 22 customer reviews, only 4 and 5 star reviews. So I checked Amazon for the Carbon and Carbon DC models. An average of 4.5 stars for both models. For the DC, the topic of this thread, most reviews are 4 and 5 stars. One 2 star and 2 two star reviews and not one one star review. So it's obvious that this table is a solid option for anyone looking to get into vinyl. It comes partly disassembled, and when I set up mine I found good instruction videos at youtube.
 
The Pro-Ject hum is all a conspiracy by Rega spies deep in the heart of Pro-Ject!

No but really this bickering is quite ridiculous. I used to believe only the negatives about Pro-Jects and Regas, and I ignored all the positives I heard about them. Well I ended up getting a Pro-Ject 1.2 for free and I think it's great. No hum.

That being said, it's wise to learn about any possible faults with an audio purchase that interests you. And the positives. Keep an open mind.
 
Well this thread had allot of info in it except how to actually fix the problem of the hum, Unless I missed it. :confused: Anyway I got a deal on a brand new in the box PDC for $100 that I couldn't pass on. I set it up and it had the humm, not horrible but noticeable. I found a thread that said to remove the 2 rubber grommets and to remove the two Motor Mount screws from the silver armature holding the motor drive.
I did that and the TT is absolutley silent now. I am happy........:bigok:
 
Alrighty then. That was a lot of "mine's bigger" discussion to get to the point.
I OWN a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC and can sadly indeed say that mine does have a very faint motor hum/rumble. One thing that reduced it DRAMATICALLY was simply removing the motor screws to allow it to "float" on the rubber spacers. Barely noticeable now except at high volume and during silent spaces.
My experience however is going to be amplified anyway due to my choice of speakers; Polk SDA-2B's. With the Interconnect cable, it brings forward a lot of what would normally be barely audible sound.
All that said, it is a great deck overall and sounds very clear with great frequency range for the price.
I bought mine from a great independent audio shop who is willing to work with me on a new one if I think it's a bad deck (which it could be).
I do not think there is a 50% failure rate; I just think that the properties of the deck lead to the possibility of this issue coming to light and that most people would not notice it unless they have golden ears and a REALLY sensitive speaker/amp combo.
Hope this helps :-).
 
Back
Top Bottom