• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does your Turntable stack records? Do you use this feature?

Does your Turntable stack records? Do you use this feature?


  • Total voters
    189
Everyone knows that no amount of discussion, argument, or presentation of facts will ever change somebody's preconceived ideas about race, religion, or politics. Well, I think the question about record stacking should be added to this list. :rolleyes:
 
I have some experience creating parts in FreeCAD for 3D printers, and have also struggled to find replacement parts, so have vaguely thought about modeling up some sort of printable replacement headshell/tonearm socket for the Elac Miracord 50H.

At first I thought about this from the angle of replicating the existing headshell and connector for backwards compatibility with existing parts. It seems doable, but you'd need to incorporate part of a standard off the shelf pin header into the design somehow, as well as the grounding plane, and I have no idea how to do that in a way that will always work. It would also have to be a simplified design; I'm not an engineer, so there's no way I'd be able to replicate the lead screw adjustment sled assembly (though arguably if one could just print a new head for every cartridge they own, the inconvenience of mounting them just once isn't that bad.)

The other angle I thought about was if it would be possible to design something that replaces the existing connector with one that makes standard Technics headshells fit instead. Basically just a housing for a run-of-the-mill socket connector you can source on ebay, and then you're just out of the proprietary Elac ecosystem entirely. The problem is that the Technics style headshells are quite a bit longer than the Miracord headshells, so it wouldn't actually be that easy to design while keeping the original tonearm length intact, unless somebody makes Technics headshells which are much shorter than standard.
Yes Thats cool 3D Prt. Since some of these parts are no longer available, from an audio stand point, I would like to know more about this process and Eqt. This would be for the primary reason to print obsolete audio parts. I'm just going through this right now on my Polk RTi9 tweeter housing.

Do you think it would be amiss to start a thread on this and see if anyone is interested?
 
Yes Thats cool 3D Prt. Since some of these parts are no longer available, from an audio stand point, I would like to know more about this process and Eqt. This would be for the primary reason to print obsolete audio parts. I'm just going through this right now on my Polk RTi9 tweeter housing.

Do you think it would be amiss to start a thread on this and see if anyone is interested?
I don't think so it would be amiss, though maybe more fitting in general audio?

I did a quick look and there are more generic headshell designs out on thingiverse, so this has at least been thought of. Nothing for Elac yet unfortunately.
 
Seems to me that stackers actually have more, not less - more records, more parts, more time. I don't stack records, but I understand why some people do, and my experience is that the better changers are as good as many manual and automatic turntables.
 
I don't think so it would be amiss, though maybe more fitting in general audio?

I did a quick look and there are more generic headshell designs out on thingiverse, so this has at least been thought of. Nothing for Elac yet unfortunately.
Yes ok lets put it up there,....
 
Back
Top Bottom