• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

dual 1219

Register to hide this ad
Sorry I can't help with a comparison...I have the TD 166 MKII and really like it. I've never had a Dual.

That said, and not knowing what's 'CHEAP'. I will say that if I found a Dual 1219 and thought it cheap I would take it home and see for myself how they compare. There are so many variables that I 'control' having both tables...my ears being most important.

I'm sure that someone with experience with both will be along and give you their thoughts. Preston
 
I have a Dual 701 and 1019 used daily and love them both. If it hasn't been refurbished by someone who knows their way around a Dual it might be more trouble then it's worth though. The 701 is direct drive and the 1019 like the 1219 is an idler wheel drive. My 1019 runs just as quite as a direct drive but it was rebuilt by a Dual guru. If the 1219 is in really good shape and cheap I'd get it.
 
If it's in good shape and the price is right, get it. The 1219 is probably the most popular Dual model, so if you don't like it you should have no trouble selling it.

Servicing a Dual is fun. They're pretty easy to take apart, clean, and lube. When you're finished, as long as it doesn't need any parts (like the infamous steuerpimpel) it'll run like it was brand new. If you're handy and have a good workspace, it's possible to do this in an evening.

I took apart the underside of a 1218 last night. The only moving parts I noticed that aren't metal are the big gear in the middle and the steuerpimpel, in addition to the idler wheel, of course. I can always make a new steuerpimpel, and I can always get an idler rebuilt (the idler wheel from this TT is with Terry right now, actually). Therefore a Dual can conceivably run forever.
 
Having done a lot of reading about Dual's lately, the 1219 seems to be highly regarded. If you pick it up cheap and don't like it, these things can easily be resold. So, why not give it a shot?
 
Back
Top Bottom