Oops, I didn't see that question. It's not ready. My mic interface started acting up, and I took the opportunity to upgrade (slightly) to a Tascam US-600, which just arrived. I'll let you know when it's tested.What is the new crossover schematic?
One day I'll switch to mini-DSP...
In the end, it is clear that this combo is a problem from the start. The acoustic offset of the drivers causes a never ending wrestling match in crossover design, and the 15" driver doesn't really want to run high enough to meet the waveguide either. The latter is not a huge problem, but I think it's a problem for a project with the parts cost involved here. I think I'm beginning to side with Geddes' take on this type of 2-way.
FWIW, I've had good luck using multiple smaller drivers in place of (for example) a 15" woofer. The smaller drivers work well to higher frequencies without cone breakup etc. The shallower acoustic offset of small drivers might also be easier to work with for Econowave purposes.
I remember from another thread you are running 4x Peerless 830869, right? I'd like to see a pic of that speaker sometimes!
az
I think Wayne's waveguide is not quite as deep, which would make things a little easier. He stopped using the TD12 (it was S) after finding some defective ones, though.Also interesting to note that Wayne Parham used the JBL 2226 in the 4pi and and the AE TD12(M?) in the 3pi. I suspect he encountered similar problems making the TD15M behave.
If you boosted the bass 3-4dB from 150Hz down, that one should fairly similar to what I've been doing with the DSP. IIRC, you've got them on the floor and in a built-in shelf, so you may have different results in that bass/midbass range. I think I also have the treble from 5kHz up 1-2dB lower (average) on mine, I'd have to check on a different computer.Still running the fancy passive crossover with no complaints.
In this case the woofer is already 10cm forward of the waveguide.The shallower acoustic offset of small drivers might also be easier to work with for Econowave purposes.
The room is 10'x23' (x9'H) with the speakers on the short side, but there is dividing arch in the middle of the long side, and all the furniture has to go in one 10x11.5 half with the speakers, so it's cramped. The front centers are about 2.5' from the side walls and 3.5' from the back. I designed the target filter for the bass in a space that was 26x18x9.5 or something around that and very open. It still seems to work okay where I have them now though.How big of a room do you have these in right now? My room is 13'x10'. The speakers are on the 10' wall, not especially close to the back or side wall, maybe ~2' each way or so. I initially listened with no BSC and it's generally good on high-quality recordings. I now have 2dB at 200Hz, which gives a better balance on a wider variety of recordings IMO.
Honestly, I've had no bass problems since raising the tuning a bit and figuring out how I wanted the filter shaped. Not subwoofer deep, but certainly not light. I'll post the woofer EQ curve in a bit.I might also call the sound "sterile". I think part of it may just be how low distortion actually is on that woofer. I think most smaller woofers will create lots of overtones and sound bassier as a result. Despite how light bass feels on the TD15M, I think it is very accurate and it does not miss a step tracking complicated music with good dynamic performance to boot. Or maybe I'm just trying to rationalize how a 700$ pair of drivers can't possibly sound bad?![]()
Anybody ever wonder what happened to this project? It never went in the bin or anything. In fact, I've been using these most of the time since posting ceased, but using an active crossover with some passive parts for EQ on both drivers, as mentioned earlier. That sounds complicated, but it's actually no more difficult than fully passive when you're already using your own measurements and simulating crossovers.
Anyway, I learned a whole lot on this project, which was the point in the first place. Since starting it, I've successfully designed several small speakers and redesigned some retail speakers with what I learned, all with much more ease than this project.
In the end, it is clear that this combo is a problem from the start. The acoustic offset of the drivers causes a never ending wrestling match in crossover design, and the 15" driver doesn't really want to run high enough to meet the waveguide either. The latter is not a huge problem, but I think it's a problem for a project with the parts cost involved here. I think I'm beginning to side with Geddes' take on this type of 2-way.
Pushing through those issues means choosing between an absurdly high crossover part count and poor phase tracking. To make matters worse, unless running flanking subwoofers into the midbass range (or perhaps shoving them in corners), the woofer response needs to be pulled down pretty hard. A normal efficient 15" running this high has a rising response that needs to be pulled down already, and this setup needed some extra shelving across the baffle step range too. In other words, I find myself taking an ultra-low-inductance woofer and piling a TON of inductance and resistance on top of it. Yuck!
So, my conclusion was that if you insist on passive for this speaker, it might as well stay relatively simple and sacrifice some phase tracking (still being in phase at crossover, just not good tracking on either side). Like this sort of thing:
![]()
Still a pretty nasty load, right? Not so easy on the HF either, but probably the worst problem is that the filter impedance starts to interact with the bass, which is why I ended up with this sort of circuit instead of the even-worse 5th order topologies that had better phase tracking and incorporated baffle compensation more elegantly. This problem could have been avoided with narrow cabinets. Lesson learned.
So, I moved on to DSP. Used custom filters from the measurements to equalize the drivers to flat(ish) to a bit beyond a 1350Hz xover range (including some midbass compensation) and then applied a 4th order filter, which results in phase alignment without any additional delay. Could probably use some more fine tuning, but sounds good, measures good. Possibly really good. I'm not really done with the measuring.
Now my problem is that I moved to a pretty tiny space (or tiny rooms, rather). So much for all the stable imaging magic I had in the old place, BUT really very consistent sound all over the room, so that's nice. It's even fairly pleasant to sit right next to one of the speakers at high volume, because you mostly only hear the far speaker, which is a neat trick.
I don't want to get too much into subjective descriptions, but I'll say the sound is what I think people often call "sterile", overall. Hopefully that only means accurate, but I'm still not making any final judgements. Three Blind Mice jazz recordings at high volume sound pretty excellent.
Just whatever, I'm not really a fancy amp kinda guy. A Rotel and a Sony ES at the moment, both a little over 100W.It might have been mentioned before, but what amps are you using in your bi-amp scheme?