• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DVD players as a CD players

DVjorge

Active Member
Hi guys,
I have to admit that the 2 DVD players I am using as CD players sound better than any of the CD players I have had. Arcam Diva DV-78 and Pioneer Elite DV-05. I got the Arcam for $ 100 in Ebay and the Pioneer for $9.99 at the GoodWill. Both units were around $ 1000 new. I have had CD players from Nad, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, all of them with a price tag of around $ 500.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
My $11.00 (from salvation army) Integra DPS 5.5 has bested every dedicated CD player I have tried. I love it and it will play ANY disc I throw at it, my CD players can't make that claim.
 
I pretty much just use my DVD player and my Blu Ray player as transports and let the DACs in my receiver (some nice 24/192 Burr-Brown units) do the heavy lifting.
 
Dont really know, but my systems high powered with heavy hitting bass, eventually causing some rather high priced CD players to skip badly. My current players a Panasonic DVD-Audio unit, and the best one I've ever owned. I could probably throw this thing against the wall and doubt it would skip. The controls are really set up as a music player for its primary mission though. Not really sure of the circuitry inside, but the front's labeled 192khz/24 bit.
 
My CD and DVD players are both low-priced (Sony 5-disc changer and Toshiba DVD recorder). They sound the same using the digital outputs and the DAC in my receiver. The DVD player sounds fine through the analog outputs. The CD player sounds terrible through the analog outputs.
 
I use a Sony DVPS530D (late-90's DVD) for CD's and it sounds great. One nice thing about it is that it has an optical output so I can use my Yamaha receiver's DAC, and RCA outputs so I can make tapes (Yamaha won't output from digital sources).
 
This subject reappears periodically:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266831
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=274083
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317594
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271725
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=302183
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=354968
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=348101
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116529

My opinion on this, based on my experiences, is that a really good CDP outperforms any cheap or mid-priced DVD or CDP. For example, I've recently upgraded to a Astin Trew 3500+ CDP ( http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=347476 ), which challenges (and maybe, defeats) my vinyl rig (Benz Micro Ace LOMC, Clearaudio Nano phono preamp, Clearaudio Emotion TT), IMHO. No previous digital sources were able to do that. The difference of this CDP with, e.g, my Sony BluRay player is huge. I've described the impressions of my listening experiences of the AT CDP in the above link. FWIW, I'm a classical music lover (no amplification in the musical instruments, huge dynamic range between soft and loud music passages, lots of silences).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom