• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CD Player vs CD/DVD Player

slovell

Well-Known Member
Is it true that a standalone CD player will sound better than a CD/DVD combo player?
Thanks, Sam :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
It's a pretty broad brush comment. There are several superb multi-format players on the market that easily best most CD-only players.
If you're talking about $ for $ comparisons in budget players, your comment might have some truth. Once you top $1K the story is nowhere near as clear cut.
 
Is it true that a standalone CD player will sound better than a CD/DVD combo player?
No, it is not true that a standalone CD player will inherantly sound better than a CD/DVD combo player. Which sounds better will depend on the quality of engineerring that goes into each player. A given CD player may sound better than a given DVD/CD player or it may sound worse. However the DVD player will be able to play high resolution DVD discs that the ordinary CD will not be able to play.
 
Well the question has been answered pretty clearly now, and I agree with what everyone has said. It comes down to what you're looking for. For convenience it's tough to beat the many excellent universal players currently available. But at the same time hi-fi CD players are generally better than ever, and you might be surprised at the level of performance you can get out of CDs. Personally I think anyone with a massive CD collection, a preference for high-quality reproduction of the recording, and of course the money to do so should seriously consider buying a newish standalone CD player. Which one? That's a tough question as there are many, many good choices, and it's been answered all over AK so I won't comment on it here.
 
To muddy the waters a little further, it's also possible to get high-quality sound from a low-cost CD or CD/DVD player driving a standalone DAC. That's what I use for most of my CD listening.
 
To muddy the waters a little further, it's also possible to get high-quality sound from a low-cost CD or CD/DVD player driving a standalone DAC. That's what I use for most of my CD listening.

I like having a computer or server feeding a DAC over using the actual CD. But, we can save that discussion for another thread.:D

I agree with the answer that it depends on the players in the comparison.:thmbsp:
 
I have a modest collection of CD & DVD players and what follows is solely my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I would go with a DVD player because on the higher end models they come with two lasers. One for CD and the other for DVD's. You can turn off the video circuitry and display if you like for CD playback. Another advantage is if you like to watch music videos with decent sound you have the machine.

If you have a system that is up in the diminishing returns realm then maybe a dedicated CD player would be best. I have listened to a 10K CD player at the last two fests and it still totally underwhelms me for the price.

I have players from the beginning of it such as a Yamaha CD-1 up to a Denon 3800bdci. One thing that becomes apparent is the mastering job on the CD is way more important than having a SOTA DAC. I have a Sony 707ESD that gives up very little to a MCD-205. Maybe the 205 has better bass but you tend to hear what you want to hear on comparisons I feel.
 
Best CD players ever made have no video circuitry in them. Therefore, get a high end CD player.

I agree with you if the person's needs do not require compatibility with other formats and/or convenience. Yes you can get good sound even from "cheapo" DVD players, but IME there's no comparison to the hi-fi CD players available today. And keep in mind that with such CD players the differences are usually not "smack you in the face" obvious, they're subtle, but significant and ultimately (IMO) extremely important to overall musicality.
 
It's a pretty broad brush comment. There are several superb multi-format players on the market that easily best most CD-only players.
If you're talking about $ for $ comparisons in budget players, your comment might have some truth. Once you top $1K the story is nowhere near as clear cut.
I just purchased a Sony DVP-S7000 CD/DVD Player which is an early version of a CD \ DVD player. It was not expensive. I'm wondering is it considered good quality or is it trash?!
 
I just purchased a Sony DVP-S7000 CD/DVD Player which is an early version of a CD \ DVD player. It was not expensive. I'm wondering is it considered good quality or is it trash?!
I think it was Sony's first DVD player made about 30 years ago. If you do a search on it, you'll find different opinions on it's CD sound quality. Hopefully you don't have problems with the drop down panel or tray issues. If you plan on using it as a DVD player, one of it's downsides is that it can't decode DTS.
 
I just purchased a Sony DVP-S7000 CD/DVD Player which is an early version of a CD \ DVD player. It was not expensive. I'm wondering is it considered good quality or is it trash?!
Definitely not trash. Mine sounds good on the analog outputs, and I think it makes a fine transport if you have a DAC.
 
OPPO UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player I'm sorry. I just can't fathom this price for a cd/dvd/blu-ray player. I love my physical media but that price just seems crazy to me.
OPPO hasn't made players for a number of years, and that listing is for a new player, so... A better idea of value on OPPOs is sold prices on e-bay.

Agree with sentiments on OPPO players. My OPPO BDP-103 plays everything I need, and they are very reasonably priced for a good used one. It's even easy to convert one to a region free player so you are not limited to disks from your region. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom