• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Astin Trew At 3500+ CDP: any opinions?

guiller

Toscaninichus Australis
Does anybody own or at least auditioned a Astin Trew At 3500+ CDP ? I've read many nice comments on it, and discovered that there is a local dealer for the AT gear.
 
Register to hide this ad
Decision time: I have to make up my mind between the Astin Trew AT 3500+ and the Cambridge Audio 840 C. Unfortunately, I can´t listen to the former. The second sounds great, probably the best CDP I´ve heard to date. However, all the reviews seem inclined towards the Astin Trew, which is also more expensive. Does anybody here ever auditioned a Astin Trew CDP?

PS: there are very positive reviews here:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/at3500_e.html
http://www.astintrew.co.uk/reviews/AstinTrew_Hi-Fi_World_Nov07_conclusion.pdf
http://www.astintrew.co.uk/reviews/Astin_Trew_Hi-Fi_News_Feb_08.pdf
 
Last edited:
Guiller - is either of those in pdf format the same as the one on 6 Moons? There's one there too, and it is also positive.

I have to tell you man, for me this would be an easy decision: I would pick the AT over the 840. I know there are personal tastes involved, and the fact that you've heard and like the 840 (you can't audition the AT?). I've read all those reviews too.

But I wait with bated breath to learn what you'll do, since I think you're going to be in a glorious state with your particular CD collection once you have one of these machines. Really, it's probably a no-lose situation.

EDIT: Just re-read your second post where you noted you can't audition the AT, but I stand by my opinion above.

EDIT 2: What's the return policy for the AT?
 
Last edited:
Hi Dave,

Guiller - is either of those in pdf format the same as the one on 6 Moons? There's one there too, and it is also positive.

Thanks for the link!

I have to tell you man, for me this would be an easy decision: I would pick the AT over the 840. I know there are personal tastes involved, and the fact that you've heard and like the 840 (you can't audition the AT?). I've read all those reviews too.

But I wait with bated breath to learn what you'll do, since I think you're going to be in a glorious state with your particular CD collection once you have one of these machines. Really, it's probably a no-lose situation.

Thanks for your opinion. I´m also leaning towards the AT, basically after reading all those reviews.

EDIT: Just re-read your second post where you noted you can't audition the AT, but I stand by my opinion above.

EDIT 2: What's the return policy for the AT?

The dealer would allow one week of testing, but unless something is really odd I am pretty sure I won´t return it. My doubt comes on the time scales of about a few months. I hope not to discover some unpleasent feature by then. The 840 that I´ve auditioned is 2 years old and it is well positioned in its standard working regime already. The main reason for my post was regarding these middle time scale features, but I guess I would have to risk on this. Anyway, I still have to get in touch with the dealer, as he was planning to bring in about 10 AT CDPs and 9 of them are reserved already! :sigh:
 
Well, I know this is a tough decision considering the money involved, for one thing. One week is a kind of short audition period, but I guess you'd know if it's just not worth the money within that amount of time.

I like that the upsampling is defeatable on the AT (although, that's probably a feature on the 840 too), but the reviews say it doesn't make a huge difference, as you've seen. Although I'm starting to lean more towards solid state in general as time goes on, the AT uses tubes early in the chain, rather than as a buffer (like my Jolida), plus it uses the 6922, which is a great tube IMO. This leaves open the option for tube rolling as well, with a huge list of choices available out there.
 
I've spoken to the dealer and decided to get the Astin Trew. He said it will take two weeks from Monday to get here. I hope to have made the best decision, as this is the most expensive piece of gear I've ever bought new.
 
Last edited:
I've spoken to the dealer and decided to get the Astin Trew. He said it will take two weeks from Monday to get here. I hope to have made the best decision, as this is the most expensive piece of gear I've ever bought new.

Awesome! Based on all those reviews, it seems highly unlikely that you won't like it, unless for some reason it just doesn't jive with your system. Since you do have the option of returning it, I think you made the right choice all around.

Thanks! I'll report back once the CDP arrives.

I can't wait to hear about this one. And not another "professional" review, but from a real live AK member! :D
 
Just some news from the local AT dealer: Michael Osborn himself took care of upgrading the bunch of AT 3500+'s that is being shipped to Buenos Aires, and this will happen this week. This delay means that at least I need two more weeks of waiting time, but feel happy that the mind who created this CDP took care of the upgrade (basically, better tube and measuring the individual specs and perhaps some other minor details like better isolation feet, etc).
 
Last edited:
Just some news from the local AT dealer: Michael Osborn himself took care of upgrading the bunch of AT 3500+'s that is being shipped to Buenos Aires, and this will happen this week. This delay means that at least I need two more weeks of waiting time, but feel happy that the mind who created this CDP took care of the upgrade (basically, better tube and measuring the individual specs and perhaps some other minor details like better isolation feet, etc).

Arrgh! But, ultimately that's good. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom