• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco Mark III Restoration (2023)

I asked Roy of Tubeshifi if they had any test data for the octal board mod for 6SN7's and this was the response I got.


no I don't, sorry.
The board is identical to our classic board except for the tubes used.
I did measured the freq response 30 years ago, flat from 7Hz to 70KHz but no other tests done other than listening.
I haven't heard any better board in an ST70 amplifier.
Roy www.tubes4hifi.com/ST70.htm
 
I asked Roy of Tubeshifi if they had any test data for the octal board mod for 6SN7's and this was the response I got.


no I don't, sorry.
The board is identical to our classic board except for the tubes used.
I did measured the freq response 30 years ago, flat from 7Hz to 70KHz but no other tests done other than listening.
I haven't heard any better board in an ST70 amplifier.
Roy www.tubes4hifi.com/ST70.htm
That is reassuring... there is a whole lot more than frequency response when measuring amplifiers.

Thanks for reaching out though.
 
That's nearly the same response I got a few years ago. He also doesn't know how much feedback either. I measured it at only about 6 db, as I recall he said much higher than that. I've done a couple of these using the basic diytube schematic, attached.

I hang the compensation resistor and cap under the board. Everything else fits fine. I've used both the 12AX7 and 5751 as input tubes. I've measured feedback at about 18 db and it sounds much better than building it with all 12au7's and so very little feedback. I highly recommend taking a $30 Roy board and diytube-ing it. You should be able to do the same thing using a 6SL7 as the input tube and 6SL7's for the phase splitters if you wanna use his octal board.

AFAIK the diytube board is no longer available but I like the Roy board better as it has the 4 bias controls right on the board.
 

Attachments

That's nearly the same response I got a few years ago. He also doesn't know how much feedback either. I measured it at only about 6 db, as I recall he said much higher than that. I've done a couple of these using the basic diytube schematic, attached.

I hang the compensation resistor and cap under the board. Everything else fits fine. I've used both the 12AX7 and 5751 as input tubes. I've measured feedback at about 18 db and it sounds much better than building it with all 12au7's and so very little feedback. I highly recommend taking a $30 Roy board and diytube-ing it. You should be able to do the same thing using a 6SL7 as the input tube and 6SL7's for the phase splitters if you wanna use his octal board.

AFAIK the diytube board is no longer available but I like the Roy board better as it has the 4 bias controls right on the board.
From the schematic in the manual you uploaded, it really is not an "ST70" afterward is it? It has been transmogrified.
 
My plan here is to paint them a metallic (anodized) blue, specifically Dupli-Color's MC201 Blue Metalcast. I have a 3-year-old ... I've let him pick out the color.
pe
To get good results with Dupli-Color's metalcast paints, you need either a shiny or chrome finished surface. I opted for the latter and spray painted these end bells with Rust-Oleum's Metallic Silver finish (#340648):

And then re-applied the Rust-Oleum Metallic Silver:

Next up on the to-do list for these is to apply the Dupli-Color metalcast paint. Stay tuned.

Finally got around to applying the Dupli-Color Blue Metalcast. Can't say I love the color (at least right now) but my son does.

I ended up going with tubes4HiFi for the driver board. While not a perfect match, they certainly complement one another.

 
I'm just starting a rebuild on my MK III's and I decided to go with the tubes 4 hifi 6SN7 based board, as I like the 6SN7 sound. I've also spent some time researching the choke and the consensus seems to be that it's not very good. Here's a link to a recommended, and less expensive, replacement:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/553-C24X

Thanks for linking to the C24X. Ended up going with this option after reading a few reviews. The price difference between Mouser's choke and those offered by Triode and DynakitParts made it all the more appealing.

Look forward to seeing your rebuild.
 
From the schematic in the manual you uploaded, it really is not an "ST70" afterward is it? It has been transmogrified.
Right, it's a Mullard variant.
I have two of the R&R builds, one T4HF with increased FB, and the DIY tube T4HF version. Both lovely amps, the DIY has somewhat more gain. Otherwise, I'd be hard pressed to say one is significantly better sounding than the other.
 
Last edited:
Right, it's a Mullard variant.
I have two of the R&R builds, one T4HF with increased FB, and the DIY tube T4HF version. Both lovely amps, the DIY has somewhat more gain. Otherwise, I'd be hard pressed to say one is significantly better sounding than the other.
That's good to know. I did not realize it was a Mullard variant.
 
That's good to know. I did not realize it was a Mullard variant.
There's a progression of simplification from the Williamson thru the Mullard to the Dyna/Laurent reductive elegance. The sensitivity of the newer power tubes needing less drive had everything to do with that. Fewer phase shifting components of course greatly simplified stabilization, along with experience mass producing better OPTs.
The 6BQ5/EL84 with single envelope drivers put good sound into more listening spaces than anything else before silicon ruled.
This is for observers, you know these things.
 
Quick update:

I got the two chassis back from the replating service. Really pleased with how they came out.

Before:


After:

 
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the finished product along with an assessment of how they sound.

Will they be getting new tubes?

The pair came without tubes so I will for sure be getting new [to me] tubes.

Considering trying out some Linlai or Psvane options but may ultimately just go with some old U.S.-made stock.

Related to tubes, I purchased bottom-mount Belton tube sockets but they're a hair too large and won't mount. Considering I just had it replated, I may opt to go with some smaller ceramic sockets rather than take out the Dremel to grind out a slightly larger diameter.
 
Thanks for linking to the C24X. Ended up going with this option after reading a few reviews. The price difference between Mouser's choke and those offered by Triode and DynakitParts made it all the more appealing.

Look forward to seeing your rebuild.

I should have checked but the C24X is smaller in size than the C-354 choke, so some mounting adjustments will need to be made. Sharing in case anyone isn't aware.
 
The chassis look great!!!! Fwiw your son has a good eye, I'm liking those Blue bell caps.

Thanks for updates, looking forward to the finished product
 
I've installed several C-24X chokes where the mounting holes were for the C-354. Should fit fine.

FWIW, Bob Latino also used the C-24X in the amps he sold.
 
I've installed several C-24X chokes where the mounting holes were for the C-354. Should fit fine.

FWIW, Bob Latino also used the C-24X in the amps he sold.

Thank you for the correction!

I just checked the choke that had been installed on the unit I received. While it doesn’t indicate a model number, it’s rated at 2 Henries, 200ma, 50 ohms. The C-354 on DynakitParts is 1.75 Henries, 200ma, 62 ohms.

So definitely a different choke.
 
Apologies for being slow to update this thread. New baby arrived in February. She's been healthy and we've all been adjusting to the larger family.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the finished product along with an assessment of how they sound.

Will they be getting new tubes?

My plan was to go with new Chinese tubes from Psvane.

For the KT88s, I went with their newer KT88, i-T series:

I went with the UK series 6SN7 tubes:

Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to measure the spacing on the new driver board. The shouldered glass means they can't sit side-by-side on the PCB. Oops! I ultimately ended up buying a lot of well maintained Sylvania. Nothing fancy, but at least functional.


For the rectifier tube, I have some new JJ 5AR4s but will ultimately go with some RCA-branded UK-made 5AR4s (Mullards?).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom