• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electro voice aristocrat subwoofer

PROJECT 2501

Active Member
Hi, I saw a single aristocrat cabinet down at the local thrift shop and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the cabinet would make for a decent subwoofer enclosure. If so then I'll go back and pick it up..
Thanks
.
 
Register to hide this ad
The aristocrat was designed as a folded corner-horn enclosure. Probably not ideal for super deep bass as in a subwoofer (note that the description says the bass starts at the "second audible octave" (presumably 40 hz), but if you can find a driver that's designed for this sort of cabinet, it might work out OK as a bass speaker for a pair of small satellites.


117-6.jpg
 
The aristocrat was designed as a folded corner-horn enclosure. Probably not ideal for super deep bass as in a subwoofer (note that the description says the bass starts at the "second audible octave" (presumably 40 hz), but if you can find a driver that's designed for this sort of cabinet, it might work out OK as a bass speaker for a pair of small satellites.


117-6.jpg

Well, its a done deal now.. Went back and picked it up. Now i have to drop in a sub and see what happens
 
Keep in mind that this speaker is designed to be used in a corner of the room, as the room's walls make up a portion of the horn. If you're not going to go with a vintage driver, Parts Express carries some woofers that are probably pretty similar to those designed to be used in this cabinet.
 
Hi, I saw a single aristocrat cabinet down at the local thrift shop and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the cabinet would make for a decent subwoofer enclosure. If so then I'll go back and pick it up..
Thanks
.
Well, its a done deal now.. Went back and picked it up. Now i have to drop in a sub and see what happens
Cool show pics when you get a subwoofer in it !!hurray
Wish I could build a horn subwoofer box
 
So what happened, I was anxiously witing to see SUB results, I have three of these speakers and was wondering about doing the same.
 
Probably lousy cabinets for subs. I had JBL 130As in a similar pair (but a bit different porting) and the L200 cabinets easily out did them for bass response.
 
Probably lousy cabinets for subs. I had JBL 130As in a similar pair (but a bit different porting) and the L200 cabinets easily out did them for bass response.
Did you have them corner loaded? This design requires corner loading.
 
Back
Top Bottom