• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire AE 1000 X/III cartridge

an422

Super Member
This cartridge came with a Dual 1216 I bought a few days ago (for $4 at Goodwill). I can't find any info on the net about it. Does anyone know anything about this cartridge (stylus type, recommended tracking force, etc)?
 
Register to hide this ad
Exact model number is AE 1000 X/III. The stylus is white, and there is a "C" in a circle on the front of it.

empire.jpg
 
The cartridge is the 1000-X/III, the actual meaning of all the nomenclature used back then has been lost, but several of the Empire styli will fit it, best bet is to call one of the decent replacement stylus purveyors and talk to them about a new stylus....

On your old stylus, I'd start at 1.25 grams and go from there, the Quad/Shibata stylus on my 4000 D/III is rated to track at .25 to 1.5 grams and tracks absolutely perfectly at .9g....many of the Empire styli track at low forces...

This may be the replacement styli:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-239-PDE_p_989.html

The body of the text about the stylus says that it may be purple or white if there is no flip down stylus guard, and tracks from .5 to 1.5 g...so, a median value would be 1g...

Hope this helps.....
 
Thanks. 1 gram is definitely not enough, but it seems to track alright at 1.5g. I'm not going risk damaging any record I care about with an unknown stylus, but I did set it up on my Pioneer PL-50 this afternoon to test it with some unimportant 45s. I think I'm going to order a new stylus for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom