• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EPI T/E 120 speakers

Styx_II

The Grand Illusion
Well, I picked up a pair off CL Saturday. They need refoaming but I very pleased with the overall condition. They'll go quite well with my EPI Magnus CD 55. Gotta Love EPI's.

P1090088.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The gentleman I got them from said the previous owner re-foamed them and instead of doing it the conventional way, He placed the surround under the woofer instead of over it's outer edge. Supposedly, it's gives the woofer "more throw"......any true to this theory?
 
The gentleman I got them from said the previous owner re-foamed them and instead of doing it the conventional way, He placed the surround under the woofer instead of over it's outer edge. Supposedly, it's gives the woofer "more throw"......any true to this theory?

The original surround of the woofer was integrated into a foam coating on the back of the cone. The original position is below the cone, but when you refoam them replace it on the front unless you want to mess with the old foam on the back of the cone (don't do it)
 
The original surround of the woofer was integrated into a foam coating on the back of the cone. The original position is below the cone, but when you refoam them replace it on the front unless you want to mess with the old foam on the back of the cone (don't do it)

I don't plan to.......they sound real good now but I can't stand the way it looks....real sloppy. I don't use grills so I want them to look as clean as possible.
 
The original surround of the woofer was integrated into a foam coating on the back of the cone. The original position is below the cone, but when you refoam them replace it on the front unless you want to mess with the old foam on the back of the cone (don't do it)

true enough, I just repaired my te-70's and the foam on the back is just terrible. If it was any more than just re-gluing the surround, I would have swapped it. That is really the only problem I have with epi speakers, the foam on the back (though I love the polypropelyine (?) plastic on the front).

I only have one set of true speakers (the aforementioned te-70s) And i'm already dedicated to epi, fantastic sound in a small space. I don't think you can go wrong with (true) bookshelf speakers that weigh around 15 pounds each. the tweeter in these epis is very well liked as well, I know I like mine alot.

What are you running them on? I would think they sound great on just about anything. Either way, you can't go wrong with nice speakers, good buy :thmbsp:
 
true enough, I just repaired my te-70's and the foam on the back is just terrible. If it was any more than just re-gluing the surround, I would have swapped it. That is really the only problem I have with epi speakers, the foam on the back (though I love the polypropelyine (?) plastic on the front).

I only have one set of true speakers (the aforementioned te-70s) And i'm already dedicated to epi, fantastic sound in a small space. I don't think you can go wrong with (true) bookshelf speakers that weigh around 15 pounds each. the tweeter in these epis is very well liked as well, I know I like mine alot.

What are you running them on? I would think they sound great on just about anything. Either way, you can't go wrong with nice speakers, good buy :thmbsp:

Right now they're in my listening room running off a Technics SA-5370. Once re-foamed, they'll go in the master bedroom which is powered by a Kenwood KR-5030.

They've got nice full bass which surprised me for an acoustic suspension speakers.
 
I recently got a pair of T/E Monitor 1s froma thrift and I am impressed by this series of speaker. I've previously only owned older EPI and there is a truly nice sound all the way around.
 
I have been thinking about getting some EPI's for a while now. I like the way they look and I hear a lot of good things about them on here.

What I want is a pair of 2 way with 8" woofers and acoustic suspension design. which model should I get?
 
I have been thinking about getting some EPI's for a while now. I like the way they look and I hear a lot of good things about them on here.

What I want is a pair of 2 way with 8" woofers and acoustic suspension design. which model should I get?


From my knowledge, that specification is around 80% of the entire epi product lineup. I would go to http://www.humanspeakers.com/ and search around. I belive they have every model listed with full specifications. Off the top of my head, though, I have heard good things about epi 100's, and they are somewhat easy to find, and do not cost alot. the te-100 also had an 8" woofer.

from what i've heard, you really can't go wrong with a nice pair of epi's.
 
I have been thinking about getting some EPI's for a while now. I like the way they look and I hear a lot of good things about them on here.

What I want is a pair of 2 way with 8" woofers and acoustic suspension design. which model should I get?


I would think the Time/Energy series or "A" series are good ones to start with. I can't really comment on early models.....sorry.

Good Luck,
 
Here's what a T/E 100 looks like with the foam on the front of the cone. Much much better looking, and they sound fine this way. Don't mess with the foam on the back!
 

Attachments

  • EPI T-E 100 003.jpg
    EPI T-E 100 003.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 81
From my knowledge, that specification is around 80% of the entire epi product lineup. I would go to http://www.humanspeakers.com/ and search around. I belive they have every model listed with full specifications. Off the top of my head, though, I have heard good things about epi 100's, and they are somewhat easy to find, and do not cost alot. the te-100 also had an 8" woofer.

from what i've heard, you really can't go wrong with a nice pair of epi's.

Agree. A good starting point for an 8" two way would be the EPI 100 V or W (vinyl or wood) or the T/E-100. I own both, though the 100V still needs foam and I've never heard it. FYI the cheap 8" generic (.99 from matelectronics) is a perfect fit, which makes refoaming an inexpensive task. The T/E-100 is a quite good two way and would in no way disappoint.
 
What I want is a pair of 2 way with 8" woofers and acoustic suspension design. which model should I get?

From my knowledge, that specification is around 80% of the entire epi product lineup. ....
....from what i've heard, you really can't go wrong with a nice pair of epi's.


I myself am partial the earlier non T/E speakers as they use the inverted dome tweeter which is just...... well......SUPERB !! :yes: As an alternative you could go with some early Genesis speakers that also use the inverted dome tweeter.

Get a pair. You will NOT be sorry. :thmbsp:
 
I myself am partial the earlier non T/E speakers as they use the inverted dome tweeter which is just...... well......SUPERB !! :yes: As an alternative you could go with some early Genesis speakers that also use the inverted dome tweeter.

Get a pair. You will NOT be sorry. :thmbsp:

I saw some inverted dome tweeters on Ebay this week....very interesting looking.
 
I don't plan to.......they sound real good now but I can't stand the way it looks....real sloppy. I don't use grills so I want them to look as clean as possible.

Here are the two that I did. The black smear is where I discovered the foam comes off the back!
EPITE100seriesIIb.jpg
 
They'll go quite well with my EPI Magnus CD 55. Gotta Love EPI's.

I've never heard any of the EPI Magnus speakers. How do you like those ?

I've got a pair of EPI Stat450s. 10" woofer coupled with an electrostatic panel. I used them for awhile..... they're "ok" but I didn't fall in love with them or anything. Unfortunately need a refoam like a lot of other stuff I have around here...
 
I've never heard any of the EPI Magnus speakers. How do you like those ?

I've got a pair of EPI Stat450s. 10" woofer coupled with an electrostatic panel. I used them for awhile..... they're "ok" but I didn't fall in love with them or anything. Unfortunately need a refoam like a lot of other stuff I have around here...

I love the CD55's. Horn tweeter and midrange......they sound really nice. I got them from a very close friend. I've known him since high school. Infact, I was with him when he bought them in the mid eighties. He gave them to me about three years ago. I'll never part with them that's for sure.

P1060268_1_1.jpg


The Stat450's look very interesting. You didn't fall in love with them....why? What's missing?
 
I love the CD55's. Horn tweeter and midrange......they sound really nice. I got them from a very close friend. I've known him since high school. Infact, I was with him when he bought them in the mid eighties. He gave them to me about three years ago. I'll never part with them that's for sure.

P1060268_1_1.jpg


The Stat450's look very interesting. You didn't fall in love with them....why? What's missing?

Those will need to be refoamed too,
I just did a similar pair :D
EPIMagnusA11drivers.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom