• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ess 12" woofers refoam done by Pro.......Not happy!

mfell

Active Member
So I take my woofers and passives from my pride and joys mint black cabinet version of my ESS Monitors in for a refoam job. The Professionals told me they were the best ( VanL Speakerworks in Norridge IL) so I figured I would let the experts do the job for me since I have never did a refoam job before..Well a MONTH later they are done.I wasn't happy When I noticed there is a glued joint on my foam. The owner(Who did the work)wasn't in but the repair guy was. He told me when the foam doesn't fit they have to cut the foam to size. Despite the fact they charged me double than what their prices are on their website along with having to wait an hour in front of their shop because they opened an hour later than what is stated on their website. What I don't understand is why the guy didn't use the correct foam for my speakers? I mean its right here: http://www.simplyspeakers.com/ess-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-12f.html#tab-2 The guys advertised price is 35 to 40 dollars more than some of the top online speaker repair guys yet he charged DOUBLE what it says on his website!!!!!! I raised Hell in the place because he never told me the cost. He says my ESS speakers were very difficult so they cost more to refoam. It states on his website the prices. The repair guy said if I refund you 60.00 right now will that make you happy?(Still$150.00 more than what it says on their website) I said it won't make me happy but I will take it. I mean I am going in there for two 12" woofers and two passives and expecting to pay $210.00 per their online price list and I get a bill for $420.00!!!!!!! He knocked off $60.00 but I am still getting screwed! How do I handle this situation without going to jail? I keep hearing how great of a guy he is and he will do anything to make the customer happy. Would having him redo the refoam with the correct ESS foams be asking too much along with charging me the amount stated on the website? Is it my job to tell the "EXPERT" to use the CORRECT foam for my speakers?To put it mildly I wasn't happy when I got the bill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
You have paid now, something I would not of done once the seam was noticed.

See if you were to purchase the correct ones if they would install them for the what has been paid already.

Also music gear stores will have a contact who will repair speakers normally.

Barney
 
Once you pay you basically except the job as done. You could go to small claims but I would see if the speakers work fine and if they do I would chalk it up to experience. I definitely would not give him anymore business. That price is ridiculous. :no:
 
I wouldn't go back. If he can't even order the right size, he might actually damage them the second time around. File with the BBB and post review on Yelp and any other place you can get the word out. You can also consider taking him to small claims court, particularly I'd you didn't agree to more than what was posted on the Internet. Take a look at any kind of receipt for the wording. Honestly, for that kind of money, you could have gotten new ESS replacement drivers. Chalk it up to a lessons learned but make any kind of stink you can.
 
I think you may be better getting a re-fome kit and ma be having a go your self. There's a lot of guys on here that have done a superb job on there first speaker project. And you've got the pride in saying I did that and they sound mint. :thumbsup:
 
I would be more pissed that they were done with the wrong surrounds. Its better to have it done right and pay too much. In this case it was done wrong and he was overcharged.

I would go tell the guy you are going to slam him via social media (or just start doing it). Take some pics and put them out there. That might get enough attention for him to offer you a better refund or fix the speakers.

If that doesnt work I would take the above advice and redo them yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere. My first refoam was a set of Boston Acoustics A40
 
Was this paid with something other than cash? If so, call up the financial institution. That'll knock the legs out from under him if the source of money pulls out.
 
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Would I be breaking any rules here if I let the cat out of the bag who this hack is?
 
I would talk to the owner, not just the repair guy, before going any further. Inform him of your concerns about the quality of work, the overcharge and what you expected. Let him have a chance to make it right.

Accepting the discount might have sealed your fate. That could be seen as coming to a agreement.
 
If you paid with a check stopping payment is illegal at this point and he may actually take you to court, then you have court costs adding insult to injury. Not exactly sure how it would come down if trying to stop payment of a credit card transaction, most likely your bank or credit institution won't be of any help unless you say the card was stolen or the charge was fraudulent, since neither is the case I think you would be wasting your time.

So if the owner is unwilling to work something out its either small claims, which I feel won't be in your favor, or slamming him here, and anywhere else you can think of. You could have magnetic signs made, and put them on your car then park in front of his establishment for instance.
 
Sorry to know of your misfortune here....people like that give the craft a bad name, hopefully more people learn about "them" and question doing business with them. It would have been proper to call and discuss having to seam the woofers with you, it was out of the normal to have done this I am sure.
Hope things like this in the future works out much better for you.
DC
 
If you paid with a check stopping payment is illegal at this point and he may actually take you to court, then you have court costs adding insult to injury. Not exactly sure how it would come down if trying to stop payment of a credit card transaction, most likely your bank or credit institution won't be of any help unless you say the card was stolen or the charge was fraudulent, since neither is the case I think you would be wasting your time.

So if the owner is unwilling to work something out its either small claims, which I feel won't be in your favor, or slamming him here, and anywhere else you can think of. You could have magnetic signs made, and put them on your car then park in front of his establishment for instance.
I am not stopping payment on anything. Unfortunately I put my trust in this expert and he got the best of me. I guess he thought I would not see he used generic surrounds and cut them to fit. I became a pretty good backyard auto mechanic because I was tired of getting burned by mechanics. Looks like I will be doing my own reforming as I have several more to do. I am going to call him tomorrow and see what he says. Thanks for the help!
 
Sorry to hear about your misfortune but do learn to refoam yourself, it is a lot of fun !!!!

Mark
Trust me I will be doing the work myself from now on. I have some AR 92s to refoam. I should have practiced on the ARs then did the speakers I just had done.
 
I would speak with the owner and at a minimum demand he honor the advertised price and at a maximum provide a full refund for using the incorrect foams. If the job required an additional charge he should have contacted you before proceeding with the work and honestly no reason why your ESS woofers would be more difficult than any others. Sounds like crooks to me.

Do your own reforms for now on...not that hard and lots of tips, vids, tutorials online.
 
Back
Top Bottom