• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ess 12" woofers refoam done by Pro.......Not happy!

How did the guy tell you the price without cringing..............ALOT?
New replacement woofers would cost less!
 
Apologies if I missed this somewhere, but if you did happen to pay with a credit card...you can most certainly dispute the charge, especially if you've already tried to resolve the issue with the owner first. You just have to open a case and describe what the exact issue is and they may even have you take photographs, etc. Worst thing that would happen is that they side with the owner, but I figure it would be worth a shot. No business likes to have credit disputes, as too many of them can cause the business to lose their ability to accept credit...it would certainly motivate them to work with you some on the issue.
 
$420!!!??? That will buy a lot of 420 for the "professional" that did the refoam job. The reason they don't look right is that he probably used generic foams you can get for around $1.50 each in large quantities. Post some pics, PLEASE! We should be able to shame this guy into a refund. Is there a website? Yelp his ass! $30/driver is pretty much standard, so $120 isn't out of line.
 
That is a lot of money. I taught myself to refoam several years ago and I always do my own. I purchase many local speakers that need refoamed so I get practice. I've also taught myself to be able to remove dust caps, shim the coil and get the cap back on with no one knowing. I always shim now as I know it's dead center. It's a great skill to have and I glad to see you're willing to take it on in the future.

$420, that's crazy!
Dan
 
do you have the model number of the 12" driver and the particular model of the ESS Monitor you have?

For comparison, Orange County Speaker here in SoCal sells the foams for $30/pr and that's on the high side of many suppliers. And yes, they have specific foams for specific ESS woofers. They would charge $45 to do the refoaming, foam included, but you would have to ship them.

This is what some of their ESS 12" driver repairs look like:
AMT1
ess-amt1-after.jpg
ess-amt1-side.jpg

ESS 680-2058 680-1058 12"
ess-680-2058-after.jpg
ess-680-2058-side.jpg

ESS 680-0023 11 175 12"
ess-680-after.jpg
ess-680-side.jpg





Thanks for all the great advice guys. Would I be breaking any rules here if I let the cat out of the bag who this hack is?

heck no, the AK community needs to know who does good work and who does bad work, and equally, does bad work and overcharges too.
 
I would start another thread and post photos, the name and location of the business, and the cost of the refoam. Be very matter of fact, without any of the negative spin.

There is no reason at all to harass the business, for anyone who is not a client.

Get the word out, and the business will learn their prices, work quality, and deceptive advertising are the very reason for their decline in business.
 
I think you may be better getting a re-fome kit and ma be having a go your self. There's a lot of guys on here that have done a superb job on there first speaker project. And you've got the pride in saying I did that and they sound mint. :thumbsup:

+1... Its not hard to do, Rick Cobb is a go to guy here for foam kits,,, if you want to do it yourself...
Good luck...
 
They ripped you a new one that's for sure.If they state one price on their website and then charge you double!!! Did you point that out? That's just bad business. 400 and change to refoam a few speakers,thats just obscene.
You should try it yourself,it's a very simple operation.I'm sorry for your bad experience. I would not deal with them in the future.
 
I have a related story, just not audio related. Last year I purchased a ruby bracelet for my girlfriend for Valentines day from Zales jewelers. The bracelet was too big so we asked Zales to have it resized.

As a surprise for Renee I asked them to make a pair of earrings from two of the extra links. I was contacted a few days later by the custom jeweler they contract for such work and quoted $178, I gave them the go ahead, and paid for them with my credit card.

A few weeks later I was called to pick them up, below is a picture of them. They turned out great, but as all they did was attach a couple of sterling posts needless to say I wasn't very happy with the price.

My sales lady at Zales kept trying to explain about the high level of expertise required to do such work. I've had custom jewelry made before, this kind of tactic wasn't going to wash with me.

It was almost a year later, just last month to be exact before I was able to nail down the store manager about the issue. When I explained the problem she also attempted another typical tactic, "didn't they call you with the price, and you agreed?"

My response? Yes, but I'm not a jeweler and I had no idea what they were going to do to make earrings from them. I didn't have a problem with the price, only what they did for the price.

I explained to the manager how I've been a Zales customer since a teen in 1973, and in the past yr I've purchased three very expensive watches, a brand they carry but not purchased from Zales ( I was wearing one at the time and showed her). I also explained if we were unable to come to some sort of resolution they would lose my business.

She asked me what I wanted. I told her I felt the work warranted about $50 but would be satisfied with a store credit of $100 (with their mark up maybe $30). She agreed to my terms and gave me the credit.

20160110_212404.jpg
 
do you have the model number of the 12" driver and the particular model of the ESS Monitor you have?

For comparison, Orange County Speaker here in SoCal sells the foams for $30/pr and that's on the high side of many suppliers. And yes, they have specific foams for specific ESS woofers. They would charge $45 to do the refoaming, foam included, but you would have to ship them.

This is what some of their ESS 12" driver repairs look like:
AMT1
ess-amt1-after.jpg
ess-amt1-side.jpg

ESS 680-2058 680-1058 12"
ess-680-2058-after.jpg
ess-680-2058-side.jpg

ESS 680-0023 11 175 12"
ess-680-after.jpg
ess-680-side.jpg







heck no, the AK community needs to know who does good work and who does bad work, and equally, does bad work and overcharges too.

These are my woofers. He gave me some money back (Although it was still higher than what was listed on his web site) as we had a 20 minute discussion on the phone. Once I see the refund in my bank account I will tell you who it is. Also, he extended his warranty on the work to 10 years. What a guy......not!
 
He should have included in the refund correcting the sub par workmanship.

Agree, with properly fitting surrounds too. As noted, there are plenty of suppliers with correct fitting surrounds available, eminently found with a simple google search of known suppliers. These guys are asshats, IMHO.
 
Hell, that doesn't look all that terrible. I see a little excess glue on the second pic but no big deal.You were overcharged I'll say that much,but I was expecting some really sloppy work.Am I missing something?
 
Back
Top Bottom