• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

Have you ever turned over 100,000 miles on a car

  • Yes, and I put all 100,000 miles on myself

    Votes: 374 72.3%
  • Yes, but it was purchased used and already had miles on it

    Votes: 198 38.3%
  • No, never turned a car over 100,000

    Votes: 9 1.7%
  • No, always sell or trade prior to 100,000

    Votes: 8 1.5%

  • Total voters
    517

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
Have you ever turned the odometer over 100,000 miles on car?

I never have. Came close once. Owned a Suzuki Esteem (Better Call Saul car) and traded in at 98,000. The car was purchased new back in 1998. It wasn't the approaching 100,000 miles that made my decision to sell. It was just time to part ways after 13 years.

Esteem was a good car .. it once got me through the New Mexico desert riding on fumes when I forgot to make a stop for gas.

Our work car (Pontiac Vibe) is at 87,000 and still gong strong. Owned for 15 years .. it may be the first car I ever turn over .. or my wife will .. she's the one who drives it now.

It%2527s%2Bjust%2Blittle%2Bold%2Bme%2Bin%2Bmy%2Blittle%2Bold%2BSuzuki%2BEsteem.%2BAnd%2Bthere%2Bhas%2Bnever%2Bbeen%2Bmore%2Bthan%2B50%2Bbucks%2Bin%2Ban%2BEsteem%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bhistory%2Bof%2BEsteems.%2BSo%252C%2Bno%2Bone%2527s%2Bgonna%2Blook%2Bat%2Bme%2Btwice.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
025a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
246k before rust claimed this one (mostly Mrs. H... it was her car) -- 11 years and zero (!) non-routine repairs (and it was a 4WD hybrid).

I put 190k on this one before passing it to our daughter and son-in-law. They had it to about 260k before rust claimed it.

rojitorearthreequarters by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

We put 188k on the first car we bought new (1988 Chevy Corsica). 40 mpg, too. Thirteen years of good service, although most of the paint had fallen off of it by the end :p

Mrs. H's current vehicle (2016 CR-V) has 81k on it so far.

We buy 'em to drive, and we (usually) drive 'em until they're done. :)
 
Only 100K?

I had a '03 Windstar that I purchased used, at 15K. Sold it at 340K. (Still running good). Recently sold a '03 Odyssey with just under 300K (still running good) that was purchased at 130K. My current driver is a '05 Odyssey that was purchased with 97K, and I hope to get at least another 150-200K out of it. I average around 35K per year. On the other hand, my '02 Dodge Dakota only sees about 500 per year (Home Depot and dump runs). It's so ugly that I'm embarrassed to drive it anywhere else. :rflmao:

I did have a late '80's Honda Accord that was purchased new that did pass the 100K mark. I would have kept it longer but it was a 4 cyl. Worked just fine in Texas. Not so much in the Colorado mountains. :rolleyes:
 
I think we average about 5,800 (recently) to 6,500 miles per year ... per car.

It took us 15 years to put 87,000 on our Pontiac Vibe which was purchased new back in 2005. I'm thinking most folks put more miles on cars than we do.

My Brother & Dad both had cars that they put 200,000 + miles on .. but they were not the original owners.
 
Last edited:
Several. I bought a 1987 Ford Ranger and drove it for 11 years and 188,000 miles before it got a bearing knock.
I got my Dad's 1997 Taurus when he passed and the tranny died it it at 199,500 miles.
Years ago I got a 1993 Explorer from mhardy6647 with over 100,000 miles on it and drove for around 6 years and into the 170s or more.
When the Explorer was sold and driven away, I bought a 2003 Focus wagon w/114,00 and drove it until last October when I junked it due to undercarrige frame rust. It had 262495 miles on it at the last fill and got 26.41 mpg and ran like a top. Hated that I had to junk it, but too much of the frame was gone for me to let another drive it.
My current car a 2003 Mazda6 was the wife's we bought 6 years ago with 134,000 miles on it. Last week I filled it at 172,906 and it got 25.41 mgg and has no issues at all. I'd drive it back to WI, KY, TN, or IL to see family w/o hesitation.

This ain't the '60s; 100K is just getting warmed up in a car.
 
Last edited:
My 2002 civic has about 168k on it and had about 27k when I bought it in 2006. I actually just bought a replacement last week after 14 years with the civic. 5 Summers without AC were enough! Got a Subaru Outback, and here's to 14 more years.
 
I've put over 100,000 miles on every vehicle I've ever owned. I tend to buy new and keep up the maintenance so I rarely have problems. I drove my last truck, a Ford F-150, for 150,000. I had all the little leaks fixed and did all the needed repairs then gave it to my nephew who is still driving it. He's had it for six years.
 
Yup, 1995 Volvo 940 4-cyl, decided to sell when the ac condenser went...mechanic maintaining it bought her for his daughter at school...120,000 +/-

2003/4 Dodge Dakota P/U at about 120K as well (last year for 4 cyl), still ran well, didn't burn oil at all.
 
Hiya,

1990 Jeep Cherokee that now has about 150K on it and going strong (These Jeep 4.0 6 Cylinders Are Bullet Proof)

We buy 'em to drive, and we (usually) drive 'em until they're done.

My Grandfather (Who is a New Englander) had a 62 Cadillac Coupé de ville that he literally ran into rust dust.

Funniest thing was driving that thing to Bangor (Maine) to turn it in for his "New" Delta 88. The whole family piled into it. He pulled into a Gas Station on the way and got into a strange conversation with the attendant. When he got back in the car my grandmother asked what the heck was he doing. Dead-panned he responded that him and the attendant were going over how little fuel he needed to get it to Bangor as empty as possible.

Fun times.

Oh yah the Delta 88. He bought it at the giant Mall there. Yep the one that was on display in the Mall.

I learned alot about cars from him. They are meant to be ridden hard and put away only when they die.

Frannie
 
Yes, my dear departed 1996 Nissan Sentra (built in Smyrna, TN) turned 100,000, then 200,000 miles then got hit from the side, and retired. Bought it with 58,900 miles, in 2002. Paid $5000 and the 1993, near death Astro Van and financed it 3 years through a credit union.
 
I don't think I've ever sold a car with less than 100K on the odometer. I've had a couple that went over 200K. An Acura legend (transmission failure at 220000) and an Eagle Premier (hit a deer at 225000) Both were still nice cars other than what finally killed them.
 
Not literally, but nearly. My parents bought a Toyata Tercel 4WD wagon (hell of a ride, btw) new, then gave it to me six months later. I then owned it for 20-ish years, seven or so commuting 30 miles. I sold it for $500 with 148k on it.
 
I drive cheap beaters, and they rarely have less than 100k on them when I buy them. Some have had 200k+.

The most miles I've put on a car while in my possession before they were moved on?

1996 Ford Aspire Drove it 5 years and ~50k
I accidentally broke a rear window, and couldn't find one locally, so I junked it. It needed an exhaust system too. It looked like complete ass, but was an excellent little car and ran like a top. I really shouldn't have given up on it. I would probably still be driving it. Of course not long after I junked it, I came across one in a junkyard with a good window glass in it.:rolleyes: RIP 156k

1987 GMC S15 Jimmy Drove it 4 or 5 years and ~40k
Bought very cheap with a bad synchronizer in 2nd gear. Drove it 15k before I put a used trans and new clutch in it. I just double clutched when going for second.:) Good dependable vehicle that took a lot of abuse. Used the little 2.8 v6 for all it was worth. Towed various vehicles through 3 different states with it. It spun a bearing and the body was body was getting rusty, so it went to the bone yard. RIP 108k

1991 Ford Ranger Drove it about 4 years and ~35k
Bought sight unseen (besides pictures) on ebay. They lied about it's condition. Very poorly maintained and the body wasn't as nice as it appeared. I replaced a **** ton of parts right after I bought it. After that, it was very dependable. The body and frame rust spread like wild fire as I drove it, though. Junked it after it got unsafe/obnoxious to drive. Was glad to see it go. Being a 4x4 with oversized tires, it was painfully show with the four banger.:no: RIP total mileage unknown
 
Last edited:
Done it a few times. Once a truck with 16 miles to start and got rid at 184K twenty some odd years later. Totaled in a accident, other driver on cell phone at fault.

I have a habit of keeping a vehicle one day to long most of the time.
 
Back
Top Bottom