• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Everyone thinks they own a VPI...

MannyE

Exterminate!
on Craigslist lately.

Dusty scratched up semi autos from the early 80s all asking 150 to 250 bucks. Seems like too much ... or is it me? I regularly find things like Technics BD60 and that kind of thing for peanuts to about 20 bucks at local thrifts. Working with good carts.

Maybe it's the internet premium? Dunno. All I DO know is I'm getting out to the thrifts before the good ones are all gone!
 
Register to hide this ad
on Craigslist lately.

Dusty scratched up semi autos from the early 80s all asking 150 to 250 bucks. Seems like too much ... or is it me? I regularly find things like Technics BD60 and that kind of thing for peanuts to about 20 bucks at local thrifts. Working with good carts.

Maybe it's the internet premium? Dunno. All I DO know is I'm getting out to the thrifts before the good ones are all gone!

Well, not everyone...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=664279
 
That's CL for you.

I pick up good tables when they pop up at yard sales for $25, or less.

My last score was a Marantz 2270 with wood case and a Technics SL-1600 with a Shure V-15 III for $30. (in excellent condition)

(yeah, I couldn't pay fast enough and get them in the trunk).

I ignore the posers.
 
Not sure what VPi has to do with this, but....

Prices are going up with the revival of home HIFi/record playback, so supply and demand kicks in.
I'm just glad i got my table before the demand.
 
It's all a matter of what it's worth to you. Almost without fail no matter what you paid someone will report paying less.

So true--ANYTHING is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I like to hunt for a "score", but I have also gladly "overpaid" for something that I really specifically wanted--especially if it is something that doesn't turn up too often.

Yeah, I'm sure someone has found stuff that I wanted for half of what I paid for it, but that is luck of the draw. I got what I wanted, paid the price, and am happy--because I wanted it.
 
... [W]hy buy mediocre, damaged goods at double or triple the original selling price? Why not just buy a current turntable?

Why not just buy a current turntable? With a bit of luck and/or persistence, a savvy buyer can pick up a vintage turntable in the low three figures (or less) that will outplay most current turntables with price tags up to the low four figures. For some buyers, the thrill of the hunt is another reason to shop vintage rather than new.
 
Why not just buy a current turntable? With a bit of luck and/or persistence, a savvy buyer can pick up a vintage turntable in the low three figures (or less) that will outplay most current turntables with price tags up to the low four figures. For some buyers, the thrill of the hunt is another reason to shop vintage rather than new.
Just yesterday I heard Kenwood TT wich is routinely sold for $250-300 with $2500 cartridge and $5000 phono preamp. It sounded too darn good for these three bills.
 
I was at Record Exchange in Frederick MD yesterday (weekend getaway with the wife) and picked up a nice batch of $1 used LPs. Anyhoo they had a low-end Technics manual P-mount beater TT with an original Technics cartridge on it (234 or something) for listening to records. Damn if it didn't sound great.
 
If you think your just going to once spend 10 minutes on Craigslist or a single trip to a thrift store or garage sale one day out of the year and find a top notch vintage table your sorely mistaken. If on the other hand you do your homework and your a sharp audio detective with your noise to the ground like Kiko your going to consistently hit the audio jackpot.
 
What he said. And why buy mediocre, damaged goods at double or triple the original selling price? Why not just buy a current turntable?

Why not just continue making logical fallacies? Google "strawman argument" and get back to us. :thmbsp:
 
What he said. And why buy mediocre, damaged goods at double or triple the original selling price? Why not just buy a current turntable?

Because most new turntables are disposable crap? Either that or you pay through the nose for a newer version of old technology. The older equipment for the most part was built better. To get equal quality, expect to pay MANY times what an old vintage piece cost new
 
People can take an odd attitude towards the price of used stereo goods. For instance, one of the first hits on my local CL is a Technics SL-1700 for $280. People cringe at this because it's not $28. Would it have been $28 in 1996? Probably, but that's not relevant now. A couple years ago I paid less then this for a 1200MK2, but does that mean it's a bad price? One certainly couldn't get a table of that quality for probably twice that new.

Just something to think about before calling something "overpriced". More then wants to pay for something isn't overpriced. What one of us was lucky enough to pay at a garage sale doesn't become the market value.
 
So true--ANYTHING is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I like to hunt for a "score", but I have also gladly "overpaid" for something that I really specifically wanted--especially if it is something that doesn't turn up too often.

Yeah, I'm sure someone has found stuff that I wanted for half of what I paid for it, but that is luck of the draw. I got what I wanted, paid the price, and am happy--because I wanted it.

I agree with you. I always wanted an SL1200 but I just didn't feel like buying online unknowing the condition.
This local one turned up and looked in a pretty good condition so I took it.
 
If you think your just going to once spend 10 minutes on Craigslist or a single trip to a thrift store or garage sale one day out of the year and find a top notch vintage table your sorely mistaken. If on the other hand you do your homework and your a sharp audio detective with your noise to the ground like Kiko your going to consistently hit the audio jackpot.

Yeah, I've tried Kico'so approach trudging thru estate sale after estate sale. I've done my due diligence, asking maybe if they might have that hidden gem, only to have the owners return from the basement with some "turntable" that must have retailed for 29.99 when new! I think Kico might be tapped into something "other worldly".

If it sounds like sour grapes, it is!
 
Why not just buy a current turntable? With a bit of luck and/or persistence, a savvy buyer can pick up a vintage turntable in the low three figures (or less) that will outplay most current turntables with price tags up to the low four figures. For some buyers, the thrill of the hunt is another reason to shop vintage rather than new.

Surely you're joking. That has certainly not been my experience. I had a very nice Thorens TD318 which I recently replaced with an $800 Sota, and the improvement running the same cartridge is just staggering. A night-and-day difference. Rega puts a lot of effort into these tonearms, and they completely blow the old TP-21 out of the water. That old clunker just can't hold a candle, from the resonances to the bearings, it just was no where near right by compare.
 
Back
Top Bottom