• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Finished 800c Pics...whew!

Looks a lot better than mine does. I've got some rust pitting on the chassis. One of these days I'll get the gumption to pull the transformers and stuff off the top, paint the trans, and go over the chassis with metal polish. I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about it, but it's scary enough that I really don't want to pull them and then rewire it wrong.

Gotta go. Hurri-Cane a comin. Gotta Rig the house for Dive.

I'll surface afterward.

Larry
 
Looks a lot better than mine does. I've got some rust pitting on the chassis. One of these days I'll get the gumption to pull the transformers and stuff off the top, paint the trans, and go over the chassis with metal polish. I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about it, but it's scary enough that I really don't want to pull them and then rewire it wrong.

Gotta go. Hurri-Cane a comin. Gotta Rig the house for Dive.

I'll surface afterward.

Larry

Larry,
A lot of times you can unbolt them and move (spin) around just enough to polish under them. I usually put painters tap on transformer mounting faces so they do not scratch chassis surface.
As far as removing the rewiring issue really is not one. The issue I normally have is with the length of the leads. I find it less intrusive to cut them out opposed to trying to unsolder.
 
Thanks...
JT-3, epifanatic,visman and perchdog.
It's been a very rewarding experience.
perchdog...I agree. The gentle wipe down before pictures did reveal some residue.
Are we talking car wax?

martin
Thinking of one of these pics for a new avatar.

Hi Martin,
It is a car wax but where I first started using it was for my boat. It is carnuba / ptfe based, real easy to work with and smells good.

http://www.diamondlusterwax.com/catalog/item/2935818/2440358.htm
 
Wow guys!
Thanks for all the kind words...especially Kory, Larry, Bruce, Don and Clay.
You guys hung with me to the end. It's been great!
Fortunatly, I had a pretty clean 800c to begin with. Finding that unit like I did was really a once in a lifetime happen stance. I haven't had so much as a sniff of fisher gear since finding this unit.
Right place...right time.

Martin
 
BROACHING. ECM Mast shows Rain and 20 mph winds. No Targets in sight. Going over the 800 with Maas. and a toothbrush. Not much change unless multiple runs required. Some areas shine up right nice and others not so nice.

D'OH!!! Broke one of my EH's when the wife walked up behind me and startled me. I jumped and knocked the tube out of the bowl(I caught the other 3 as the bowk was going over) and it flew about 5 ft on to the floor. Broke right around the base. DAMN! DAMN!! DAMN!!! DAMN!!!! At least i have another quad of old stock that are 1/2 way decent until I can get the EH replaced.

Oh well. Happens to all of us I guess.

Perch. I have to paint the trannies too. Prefer to have them hanging and spray that way. Guess I can take a picture and mark which go where, then mark each one as to location.

Gotta get some decalmania and make some topside decals for the tubes and the info panel (Model, Serial etc.).

Down Scope, Lower the ECM. Make your depth 400Ft.

Larry
 
Martin,

You inspired me. I finally got the materials together to replace the entire power supply in my 800B and build an individual bias adjustment board to install underneath.

I just finished it and everything is up and running smoothly as we speak. All 4 Brand new EH7591's that came in with the parts are nicely biased at 32ma....I don't know what the hell I was waiting for! :thmbsp: :music:

Sometimes it takes a good thread like yours to kick your butt into gear. Thanks again. Now mine is good to go for another 20+ years hopefully :yes:

Kory
 
Kory. Is the Individual board the same as the one for the 400? If so I I can build one as I have Drew's drawing for the 400. I imagine it would probably be the same except for maybe a different resistor.

Do you have a drawing for it?

Larry
 
Kory
Very cool!
Like Larry, I'd like a little more info on your approach or changes you made.
Mine aren't the only pictures allowed here.
I would like to see your IBAM!

Thanks again Drew....where ever you are.

martin

P.s. Larry...sorry to here about your dead EH soldier. I dropped a tellie 12AX7 on my basement floor. It survived!
Now I have carpet under foot.
 
Last edited:
Kory. Is the Individual board the same as the one for the 400? If so I I can build one as I have Drew's drawing for the 400. I imagine it would probably be the same except for maybe a different resistor.

Do you have a drawing for it?

Larry

Larry,

It exactly the same for the 400. Basically just build the board per the schematic, tap into negative supply right off the negative leg or the bias supply caps, hook the + end to any ground spot on the chassis then run a line from each 200k resistor to the joint with the 1k resistors and you're in business!

Obviously you remove the old grid resistors which at the same time will disconnect the old bias supply line.

Kory
 
Thanks. I've got Drew's Drawing for that one. Another project AFTER I Dewater the basment and get everything back in order.

Looks like I lost a pair of NOVA 8B's (Cabinets...No great loss on them) but the guts are OK. I did lose a Grundig Console cabinet. It was lying on it's side, and soaked up a lot of water.

Plus a Sansui SP-200 and a SP-2500. Bastards used luan veneer over pressboard to make the stuff look like plywood. Now I have to get cabinets made......DAMN! Maybe a winter DIY learning project.

No Receivers, amps, or Turntables were injured or killed during the passing of this storm. This according to the ASPCAG (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Audio Gear).

Larry
 
Hiya Larry,

Good to have you back amongst the virtual community. I tried calling you back but got fast busy. Give me a call tomorrow if you need any help or just someone standing around saying I am sorry like I was when you were helping me with that executive. :)

Frannie
 
LOL!!!! Luckily It's just moving stuff from one side to the other as I "deconstruct the basement". Mainly an old Sofa has to go. And a bunch of old stuff I've been wanting the "old lady" to go thru and sort. No it doesn't get sorted.....IT ALL GOES!! HOT DAMN, MORE ROOM!!

Larry
 
Back
Top Bottom