• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500B basket case...

Register to hide this ad
Given enough time, money, and dedication -- and it would take a lot of those things, I suppose it could be done. But there would have to be an awfully good reason to do it rather than simply find another one. No doubt purchasing a pristine one would cost less than restoring it when the total cost of the job is taken into consideration.

Dave
 
Initial impressions are not impossible, but probably not worth the effort. Salvage the iron, make a nice power amp with it. That urine will have gotten into every switch, control, transformer, and socket and it will be a LOT of effort to rid it. Its not impossible that the power and output transformers have suffered some damage, but I'd give them a better chance than the IF trafos.

I'll put it this way. I've been known to rebuild worthless junk just for the challenge, and I don't think I'd take this one on.
 
TWO THUMBS DOWN! Not with a 10 meter cattle prod. The bottom is rotted off, among other things that are full of mice pee and other nice biologic Hazards. Take it out back and tie a couple of M-80's to the underside with a 5 ft long slow fuse and RUN! About the only thing to me that might be salvagable would be the wood cabinet and ONLY AFTER A SOAKING in a bleach solution and a Live Steam Rinse!
 
Larry;
AMEN! I looked at the pictures and made a comment there. If the fellow wants to remain friends with the fellow who brought it to him he should avoid this. As some others said, salvage the power and output transformers if possible, maybe the front panel and some associated pieces and let the rest go.
Joe
 
I wouldn't attempt a restore as a "receiver" but it could be turned into a very respectable power amp. Strip out the tuner and preamp, then give it a good bath and start rewiring.
I have a thread here on AK where I converted a 500B to a power amp.

Good luck!
 
I remeber seeing the thread on that one. Compared to the offering in the OP, njcanuck's is a ROCK off one of Liz Taylor's Engagement Rings.
 
Back
Top Bottom