• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500C Funeral!

kpaxfaq

Tube Rectified
Bought gigabyt's nice looking Fisher 500C a few weeks ago.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4019753&postcount=7

Since he does not link a bank account to paypal I've been waiting anxiously for the check from paypal to arrive to him to ship. He wasn't entirely comfortable packing this safely himself, so I said I'll pay the extra $$ to have it professionally packed. My local UPS store packed my Fisher 800B to go to Craig at NOS valves bombproof. So it was "professionally packaged" and insured at a local FedEx store near John. Welp package arrived today....

Some pics of what I found...

DSCF0899.jpg


DSCF0900.jpg


DSCF0901.jpg


DSCF0902.jpg


DSCF0903.jpg


DSCF0904.jpg


DSCF0910.jpg


DSCF0906.jpg


DSCF0905.jpg


The Packing Pro's just wrapped this in bubble-wrap and put on foam piece on the bottom and top!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would love to get my hands on the moron who thought this was adequate packing!!! Anyways took it right back to FedEx that second after the pics and had them inspect the damage and the boxes are now back in their possession until claims process is taken care of! (I was not going to hang onto them for any length of time and be accused of the damage myself!) They were already giving me the "bought this on ebay didn't you?", "we have to determine if we packed this or not" yada yada. I'm not worried about them covering it, just know it takes forever! Lesson learned. Do not allow anyone else to pack your goods unless you trust them! My local UPS lady always jokes I keep her on her A-Game with the stuff I bring in for her to pack at times and she does a great job unlike whatever pencil-neck stoner packed this! :tears:
 
Register to hide this ad
That is just a shame! You should have seen how my 400 was shipped. It was placed in a plastic bag and dumped in a box of foam ghost turds. All the tubes were loose and rolling around in the box. It's a miracle that the only damage was a bent bracket for the faceplate along with a couple of dings on the chassis where a tube shield was rubbing.

Good luck with the claim. Hope it turns out well!
 
Well, that was a nice 500C. Those switches are hard to find. Somewhere in this forum is a thread on a 400 resurrection, it had taken damage in shipping.
 
This is why I pretty much gave up on Shipping anything 40lb's or over. You just know it will get damaged. These ups/fedex stores are a joke for packing anything for you, the minimum wage works don't care, its bubble then peanuts. If I were you I would have pulled all the Fisher tubes, before I filed the claim :D
 
That's a shame....:tears:...looks like it was dropped right on that corner.
I know packing is a hassle,but I never let anyone else pack my items.
I have shipped some nice stuff,Fisher items,Mc amp and tuner,numerous speakers.Hell I shipped a pair of Yamaha speaks to Argentina.So far,no problems.
Sorry for your loss ! ( Taps playing in the background )
 
This is why I pretty much gave up on Shipping anything 40lb's or over. You just know it will get damaged. These ups/fedex stores are a joke for packing anything for you, the minimum wage works don't care, its bubble then peanuts. If I were you I would have pulled all the Fisher tubes, before I filed the claim :D

I don't think The Fisher 500c weighs 40 lbs.....:scratch2:
 
Well if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. That is such a shame, and I hope that you get compensated to your satisfaction. There are very few people in today's world that I trust with any kind of job. Call me a cynic, but a lot of people today are either clueless, not paying attention, or just don't give a damn.

Good Luck.
 
Sorry to hear, I have shipped some big Sansui's...........sweat n bullets the first time. Relaximus Has packed and shipped these receivers for me.......never damaged........always bomb proof. Hope ya get your coin quick.-Dave-
 
Well the mistake I made was assuming that these places that "professionally" package things are all like the place a block away from my house. (A UPS store) I've shipped 20+ big heavy things with this same store and every single buyer has commented on how fantastic the packing was. Yes it is more expensive but I've never been a cheap person. I'm willing to pay more for quality. John wasn't quite sure on his packing skills just like myself so I suggested he go to one of these places because they've been great for me. Turns out my luck at that one store seems to be the exception not the rule!

I talked with John and he told me the guy who packed this explained his packing strategy for it which sounded very good but then obviously didn't carry it out what so ever, or left it for the hungover 19 year old college kid :tears:

This is the first thing I've EVER had damaged shipping and I've bought a ton of tube stuff, ham radio stuff, etc! Some of it was even packed like crap and came from California in one piece somehow! I guess my luck had to run out at some point, but I've learned an important lession...

-Kory
 
Last edited:
wow! what a turd! what a stinking TURD!!! the guy that packed this precious tresure should be stripped naked, bound and gagged, a chain tied around his neck , and dragged by the back of a truck down a gravel road at 60 mph untill his head pops off!!!

a fisher 500c is a priceless find! to damage a crummy one is awful, but to damage a nice one like yours.....just plain EVIL!!!
:( :(
 
A moderator I conferred with about this sad story reminded me of something that I want to mention to everyone who ships a Fisher tuner or receiver:
Remove the tuning flywheel weight before shipping one of these. I believe it's held on with a set screw or allen screw. Removing the weight won't affect the dial string and if the thing takes a jolt, the tuning arm shaft or the support bracket won't get bent.
 
these old fishers are truly special, they should be loved and cared for like ones own child! the fact that some stupid little punk could be so careless... well, its not even mine and my blood is boiling!!! when i saw this post, it made me so upset i had to run to the bathroom to deficate!! i really hope your 500c has hope kpax! let us know if she can be saved. and i hope avery himself comes out of his grave and drags this punk to hell for the horriffic display of discust!!
 
Hello,
just found this thread after talking to audiodon.

i am sick to my stomach after seeing what these idiots have done to what was an excellent example of a 500-c.

the claims process has been started and i hope all goes well without any hiccups.

At least the case and output tubes that i packed myself and shipped in a seperate box arrived safely.

So Sorry this has happened KPAXFAQ, But i am confident it will get resolved
properly.

Now the waiting......................
 
You have my deepest sympathy for you and your Fisher. This would literally make me sick without even thinking about dicking around with FedEx trying to get satisfaction.

The way that was packaged I'm sure the employee that dropped it knew he/she effed up. But if he/she kept their mouth shut, hey, who's going to know. All the powers that be know is it got here and it left here.

Professional packaging? Money back for that? Anybody for some Karma?

That packaging reminds me of the IPod I bought for my wife from Amazon last year, the IPod and one air pillow rattling around in a large cardboard box. I was surprised it worked and stayed that way.
 
Last edited:
My condolences on your loss.

I have shipped approximately 25 pieces of tube audio equipment from sales on E*** - receivers, amplifiers, tuners, preamplifiers, etc. and have never had a problem. My suggestion for anyone shipping items like this is YOU MUST DOUBLE BOX! This has included 10 pound tuners to 40 pound receivers. Anytime you have a glass dial, tubes, etc. YOU MUST DOUBLE BOX. I do charge the buyer a few dollars extra but the results speak for themselves.

Period.

PS - The above does not even include the approximately 20 turntables I've shipped - but shipping turntables is a different matter and a real pain in the A**!
 
Back
Top Bottom