• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500C Funeral!

What an absolute nightmare scenario!
Fed-Ex will never get any business from me from this day forward. :nono:
 
Professional packers suck!

Perhaps there should be an AK sticky with a title like "Friends Don't Let Friends Use Professional Packers". I ship antique glassware for a living and realized long ago that I'm the only one I trust.

What happened to the 500C is a crime! It breaks my heart. Sold two 500s. Packed them well and both survived a trip to Calif from NY. Padded the h*** out of them and two boxes. Sorry for your loss.

Eric:tears:
 
No funeral yet, that piece is still capable of being brought back from the almost dead.

Well worth saving, as you will see.

Cheers
 
But that's a story for another thread... I'll provide a link when I kick it off.

That shall be epic,

Coming to your keyboards in the spring of 2011....

"The risk taking 500c living a life of excess space in a brown box world. No matter what his parents told him at that Fedex Kinko's in New England, 500c was going to have a big party inside that brown box. It wasn't until the man inside the white truck brought his life CRASHING down......Will 500c go to rehab and stay clean, or is 500c destined for a lifetime of regrets, judgment, and sorrow?" :D
 
Holy Tamoley!

Don, Holy Tamoley man, what bumblers! I have had similar luck, even with box speakers. My sister-in-law sent me a pair of Dyna A25's "professionally packed", and the packers put them face to face with a giant wadd of bubble wrap inserted between them. Both grill cloths were destroyed by the internal pressure. That's why we will now only pack ourselves! Such a shame!


Bought gigabyt's nice looking Fisher 500C a few weeks ago.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4019753&postcount=7

Since he does not link a bank account to paypal I've been waiting anxiously for the check from paypal to arrive to him to ship. He wasn't entirely comfortable packing this safely himself, so I said I'll pay the extra $$ to have it professionally packed. My local UPS store packed my Fisher 800B to go to Craig at NOS valves bombproof. So it was "professionally packaged" and insured at a local FedEx store near John. Welp package arrived today....

Some pics of what I found...

DSCF0899.jpg


DSCF0900.jpg


DSCF0901.jpg


DSCF0902.jpg


DSCF0903.jpg


DSCF0904.jpg


DSCF0910.jpg


DSCF0906.jpg


DSCF0905.jpg


The Packing Pro's just wrapped this in bubble-wrap and put on foam piece on the bottom and top!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would love to get my hands on the moron who thought this was adequate packing!!! Anyways took it right back to FedEx that second after the pics and had them inspect the damage and the boxes are now back in their possession until claims process is taken care of! (I was not going to hang onto them for any length of time and be accused of the damage myself!) They were already giving me the "bought this on ebay didn't you?", "we have to determine if we packed this or not" yada yada. I'm not worried about them covering it, just know it takes forever! Lesson learned. Do not allow anyone else to pack your goods unless you trust them! My local UPS lady always jokes I keep her on her A-Game with the stuff I bring in for her to pack at times and she does a great job unlike whatever pencil-neck stoner packed this! :tears:
 
For a Fisher 500 C don't use anything smaller than a 20x20x16 box with extra protection on the front panel, extra packing over the chassis (tubes), and padding out the output tubes (or wrapping and shipping them apart from the chassis) will work. The electrical cord is best attached to the outside of the packing material, and it gets covered in bubble. Styrofoam holds the whole thing in place...

Double boxing may help, but the only one I've ever shipped that was damaged by Fed-Ex Ground was double boxed w shredded paper packed tightly between the boxes. It looked like it fell from a plane.

The only one I've ever received that was damaged (just the case, which was reglued) was packed to survive a nuclear blast, two extra thick cardboard boxes, so go figure...
 
Why not just make a plywood box and mount the whole thing inside of your new plywood box just like installing your receiver in the factory wood case and then place this plywood box holding your unit inside of a cardboard box with sheet foam or other padding to cushion some of the shock when dropped. The chassis stays well protected inside of your plywood box and it' won't shift around when dropped and can't be scratched or dented.
3/8 plywood would be plenty thick to hold most anything if put together with some care. The tubes of course could be taken out and placed in padding and put in the plywood holder as well.
Plain cardboard and foam just allows for so much force to be placed on corners and other pieces that stick out from the chassis.
 
Back
Top Bottom