• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher X-100 B - restoring story

Register to hide this ad
There were a few 220v power transformers made for some units for export - not sure about the X100B. I have one for a Fisher 400 that I got when I was living in the UK. It's no problem to use a step down transformer, I did it for years.

Nice X100B you have. They're great sounding amps when restored.
 
There were a few 220v power transformers made for some units for export - not sure about the X100B. I have one for a Fisher 400 that I got when I was living in the UK. It's no problem to use a step down transformer, I did it for years.

Nice X100B you have. They're great sounding amps when restored.

Thanks for reply!
I am using a monstrous step down transformer 1.6 kWatt
avtotransformator_shtilj_at_220_100_1_6_50_foto_largest.jpg
 
Please suggest me can caps I'm going to change them.
They are 40uf 450v, 40uf400V, 20uf300.
Direct links to store are appreciated!
 
On can caps, I've stuffed and used new.
Sometimes saving time is worth the price difference, other times not.
Prefab ones save time. Stuffing takes time.
Then again, you need a high power soldering iron to replace twist-loc can caps.
Only once did I wish I bought new. Every time I picked up that amp, my palm would rest against the epoxy seal, snapping it once again. Then I'd have to mix up more sealer and reveal. That wasn't a Fisher though.
 
Hello guys!
As you know I got X-100 B which was in a really amazing condition.
I started restoring from cleaning it all.
Metal chassis was covered with oxides spots so I used Kontakt 60 (german analog of Deoxit). As a result - flawless face surface and chassis. Like new one comes from plant!
IMG_20160131_231612.jpg IMG_20160131_232210_hdr.jpg
 
Than I decided to change rectifiers. As you also know there are 2 of them in X100 so I put in two UF4007 diodes (not 1N4007 as many here recommend).
Sound became more fresh with open stage.

IMG_20160211_000112_hdr.jpg IMG_20160211_000048_hdr.jpg IMG_20160210_233855_hdr.jpg IMG_20160210_214420_hdr.jpg
 
I've got NOS K40Y-9 caps from 60's. They are .047uf and .022uf.
So now I'm in doubt should I replace original caps? They seem to be okey.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160210_214226_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20160210_214226_hdr.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1890928411.jpg
    1890928411.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 76
Very nice X-100B -- one of the cleanest I've ever seen! Your unit still has the Euro caps installed, which most folks elect to keep as they rarely go bad, and many appreciate the sound they produce. As for the remainder of the components, always chose quality. But as for brand, you want it to produce the sound YOU want, so chose /try out accordingly. You'll find folks who say it can change the entire character of the unit, to those who think it makes hardly any difference at all.

Good luck with your amp!

Dave
 
Last edited:
Very nice X-100B -- one of the cleanest I've ever seen! Your unit still has the Euro caps installed, which most folks elect to keep as they rarely go bad, and many appreciate the sound they produce. As for the remainder of the components, always chose quality. But but as for brand, you want it to produce the sound YOU want, so chose /try out accordingly. You'll find folks who say it can change the entire character of the unit, to those who think it makes hardly any difference at all.

Good luck with your amp!

Dave

Thank you Dave)
After rectifiers were replaced I noted that 7868 amplifying tubes became more hot.
Is it right?
Despite this statement preamplifying tubes are fine.
 
Operating properly in the stock design, you will find that the output tubes in this model run very hot, and therefore absolutely require a well matched quad so that they all share the quiescent current equally. It's always a good thing to check their operation in a darkened room to check for any color in the plate -- a sure sign of imbalance that usually allows one tube to get beat to death, while the others have a much easier time of it.

The X-100B is a great sounding unit though that I know you'll enjoy for a long time to come.

Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom