• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Frank Zappa

I recently found a cd title The Persuasions Sing Zappa in my public library. The guy who sings bass is incredible. A few good tunes.
 
He was a big hero in the former Czecheslovakia (did I spell that anywhere near correctly?). Read his autobiography sometime if you get a chance. There is an biography that's interesting as well.
 
"The Illionois Enema Bandit"," Dinamo Hum" "Stink Foot"
Wonder what would have ever happened if Frank would have gotten serious with his music ?
As it is, he has a very limited fan bass. I always considered him to be " way out there". Now that I'm a bit older and sanity has arrived, I keep asking myself, " how can I still like this stuff, whats wrong with me" which I has to reply,.................. what was the question again?
 
Billo said:
"The Illionois Enema Bandit"," Dinamo Hum" "Stink Foot"
Wonder what would have ever happened if Frank would have gotten serious with his music ?
As it is, he has a very limited fan bass. I always considered him to be " way out there". Now that I'm a bit older and sanity has arrived, I keep asking myself, " how can I still like this stuff, whats wrong with me" which I has to reply,.................. what was the question again?

Everyone seems to think Zappa was just a lunatic or something. Not true. Listen to some of the older stuff, like what I mentioned in an above post for instance.
He has a lot of stuff that sounds more like it is based upon classical music. He has classical style orchestral stuff too. I have even heard some that bordered upon country-western sounding(One Shot Deal)

Also, I feel his fan base could be more of a "huge cult following", if you will.

I believe Zappa was the most educated man in music, (or considered to be) wasnt he?
I always wonder how many of the so called musicians out there could even pick up a sheet of music and play it.

A little quote from the beginning of Baby Snakes:

Tonight though I, I tell you one thing ...'bout these New York crowds ...some of 'em ...they, they get too carried away, you know, because they think Frank Zappa is such a ...a mad man, you know, they come here to ...to see him go crazy or something, you know ...they don't realize that it's ...there's notes involved, you know ...
 
Shut up and play yer guitar some more, I think is one of the best musical productions of Zappa. There are 3 Lps or CDs with high quality music, almost 100% of pure music. Some kind of jazz-rock fussion.
 
I can remember the first time I saw Zappa. He was on the old Steve Allen Show playing a bicycle tire by plucking the spokes. This was about five years before the Hippie movement and the Mothers of Invention. Anyone else remember this?
 
my fondest frank zappa was the song with bertha butts queen of the butt sisters.. we always sang that song and laughed heartily...
 
Wonderful Wino

one of my favorites :banana:

L.A. in the summer of '69
I went downtown and bought me some wine
Oh, I drank it down under the table
I said: "Watch me now, I'm gonna eat the label!"
Well I'm a wino man
Don't you know I am?

36, 24, hips about 30
I seen a fine lady and I started talkin' dirty
Boy, she looked over at me and she raised the thumb
She said: "Jam down the road, you fun-ba-bum-bum"
I'm a wino man
Don't you know I am?

I went to the country
And while I was gone
I lost control of my body functions
On a roller-headed lady's front lawn
I'm so ashamed, but I'm a wino man
I can't help myself

I've been drinkin' all night till my eyes got red
Stumbled on the gutter and busted my head
Bugs in my zoot suit, been scratchin' like a dog
I can't stand no water, and I stink like a hog
Give me a five dollar bill
And an overcoat too
Give me a five dollar bill
And an overcoat too
A five dollar bill and an overcoat too
A five dollar bill and a Florsheim shoe
 
jonman said:
I can remember the first time I saw Zappa. He was on the old Steve Allen Show playing a bicycle tire by plucking the spokes. This was about five years before the Hippie movement and the Mothers of Invention. Anyone else remember this?

Before my time, but it is on youtube. just search the 2 names. Hope you are on hispeed. Dated 1963.
 
budm said:
Everyone seems to think Zappa was just a lunatic or something. Not true. Listen to some of the older stuff, like what I mentioned in an above post for instance.
He has a lot of stuff that sounds more like it is based upon classical music. He has classical style orchestral stuff too. I have even heard some that bordered upon country-western sounding(One Shot Deal)

Also, I feel his fan base could be more of a "huge cult following", if you will.

I believe Zappa was the most educated man in music, (or considered to be) wasnt he?
I always wonder how many of the so called musicians out there could even pick up a sheet of music and play it.

A little quote from the beginning of Baby Snakes:

Tonight though I, I tell you one thing ...'bout these New York crowds ...some of 'em ...they, they get too carried away, you know, because they think Frank Zappa is such a ...a mad man, you know, they come here to ...to see him go crazy or something, you know ...they don't realize that it's ...there's notes involved, you know ...

He was a lunatic !! Thats what made him ..He was unsane, not insane.
He was brilliant , but instead of produccing music with a serious tone, he choose to lash out at society with his music.( later years) we all still bought his works, laughed at his lyrics, but it lacked of his earlier music.When he should of been produccing his greatest music, he had become sour to the point of "unsanity" lashing out at everything he found enferior to himself.
Yes he was probably one of the greatest but, he left me anyway, with a big question mark, .He climbed out on a limb because he could and nobody could follow.Yet he never came back .
He may very well be the most educated man in Rock, but in music all together
I'm not educated enough to make that claim.
He did blaze his own path, thats for sure.
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've bought the following albums so far: Garage 1,2&3, Apostrophe, Sheik Yerbouti, Hot Rats in addition to the ones I already mentioned. All Japanese limited edition mini-lp version CD's. Very nice! I liked them all.:yes:
 
PHC1 said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've bought the following albums so far: Garage 1,2&3, Apostrophe, Sheik Yerbouti, Hot Rats in addition to the ones I already mentioned. All Japanese limited edition mini-lp version CD's. Very nice! I liked them all.:yes:


Sounds like your off to a good start. I have found that I find something I like on every Zappa album I have ever heard. I buy them whenever I can get a good deal I will pick them up. I currently have about 25 of his albums, and I always find something interesting and different on his albums,
 
If you can find an early vinyl pressing of Apostrophe, get it because it sounds fantastic.

Also you might give Zoot Allures a try, it's pretty tasty.

Then if you can find The London Symphony Orchestra - Zappa Vol. 1 on vinyl it's a digital recording and sounds killer. :tresbon:
 
The "Joe's Garage" series (Acts I, II and III) has the reputation of having been hastily thrown together, but there is some amazing music in this series. I am particularly fond of a song titled "Watermelon in Easter Hay", an instrumental effort if I remember correctly, and one with some outstanding guitar work.

For just fun & laughs, you can't do better than Zappa & The Mothers "Fillmore East Live" of 1971...it's the one with Kaylan & Volman (aka Flo & Eddie) all over it.

Zappa is something of a local legend in the communities surrounding our town of Claremont, in fact the town is still inhabited by one Ray Collins, original vocalist in the Mothers and also vocalist with a pre-Mothers group w/ Zappa, The Soul Giants. Ray doesn't like talking about the Mothers experience, too much bad blood or something, but he's still very entertaining.
 
MitsuMan said:
If you can find an early vinyl pressing of Apostrophe, get it because it sounds fantastic.

Also you might give Zoot Allures a try, it's pretty tasty.

Then if you can find The London Symphony Orchestra - Zappa Vol. 1 on vinyl it's a digital recording and sounds killer. :tresbon:



I'll second that, "Black Napkins" is awesome. :yes:
 
Thought I'd revive this old thread, as I sit here listening to a Zappa album of various live performances-Cheap Thrills. The guitar solo in Hot Plate Heaven at the Green Hotel is worth the price of admission on this. This particular cd goes cheap on the bay- 4 or 5 bucks and is a good one to hear some live Zappa.
 
Back
Top Bottom