• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Frank Zappa

I really like, and admired, FZ, but...
fans of Copeland, Gershwin, Ruggles, Ives, and Bernstein might not agree wholeheartedly :-)

EDIT: Ruggles and Ives were FZ's kind of guys! :-)
 
If you decide to get Hot Rats, go for the vinyl version as the CD has been drastically altered from the original album. It may not be bad, but I have listened to the original version for years and had committed it to memory, so when the CD came out I was shocked. Possibly the best thing to do is get both. I transfered my record to CD and ran it through the Steinberg Wave program which has a very nifty program for removing pops and crackle. It is hard to tell it was transfered from a record.
 
Ive got the entire Zappa Catalog as well as all the "Beat the Boots sets" and the "Original Masters Series" ,the "You cant do that on stage series" as well as close to one hundred bootleg albums of varoius origins,i think that would make me a small time Zappa fan:D

I cant recomend enough to any new Zappa fan who never got the chance to see Frank when he was alive to go see the Zappa plays Zappa show,the band is led by Franks son Dweezil & is a great way to hear & see Franks music.

My top 10 picks.

1 "Zoot Alures",this is my favorite Zappa album for rock & roll,the lyrics are easy to follow & are not overbearingly silly,kinda along the same musical lines as "Overnight Sensation".

2 "Ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch",this would have to be my 2nd fav rock album,Steve Via plays some serious stunt guitar on this album & the rest of the musicians, as well as Frank, blow it out real good.

3 "Jazz from hell" without a doubt this is the best sounding & orchestrated Zappa album of all time,the entire album is played on the synclavier with the exception of one song that is being played by a full band,this is my reference cd for when i go to demo new gear & set up speakers in my home.

4 "Sleep dirt",this is more of a fusion jazz album,some seroius accoustic guitar work by FZ on this album as well as electric fusion .

5 "The grand wazoo"another fusion styled album with some great cuts,a must have IMO.

6 "The Thing Fish",this album is the score to a broadway play & is a knock off of the old time Amos -N- Andy duo,the entire album is done in "black face" type vocals & is another must have,the 2 disc album tells a story from start to finish,the story line is about how the government started Aids testing on prisioners & the resulting mutations from the side effects of the drugs,its not a political album & is more entertainment based over musicianship,Hustler magazine did a lay out based on this album.

7 "The Shut up -N- play yer guitar" series is another must have,the entire album is made up of live guitar solos from various concert tours.

8 "Studio Tan" another great album with a story line,outstanding lyrics on this album including the 21 minute story "The adventures of Gregory Peckory".

9 "Just another band from LA",this album is from the Flo & Eddie era,Flo & Eddie were actually the band "The Turtles" & they suppiled vocals for The Mothers Of Invention,the 25 minute story/song called "Billy the mountain" is on this album,this song as well as The adventures of Gregory Peckory listed above are great examples of Franks lyrical ability to tell a story,no matter how bizzare the story.

10 "Zappa's universe",this album is the after death tribute concert played in Franks honor,obviously Frank is not on this album but all of musicians on the album played with Frank at one time or another,along with "the orchestra of our time".
 
If you decide to get Hot Rats, go for the vinyl version as the CD has been drastically altered from the original album. It may not be bad, but I have listened to the original version for years and had committed it to memory, so when the CD came out I was shocked. Possibly the best thing to do is get both. I transfered my record to CD and ran it through the Steinberg Wave program which has a very nifty program for removing pops and crackle. It is hard to tell it was transfered from a record.

I was unaware of that and curious about the album now. Hot Rats is my favorite Zappa album, but-I have only heard the CD version of it. Makes me wonder what I've been missing now:smoke: I am aware of one other Zappa Album that has lyrics added on the CD release version.
 
I like most all Zappa, but Joe's Garage has got some excellent guitar playing on it......and of course there's always Studebaker Hawk, don't think that came from Joe's Garage though.
 
Hey, it's a great excuse for a party too.....I just remembered, my cousing once threw a "Mother's Day" party FWIW..........
 
If you want to experience his virtuosity as a guitar player -- without the silliness -- there is an album called "Guitar" that features nothing but Frank guitar solos. :thmbsp:
 
If you want to experience his virtuosity as a guitar player -- without the silliness -- there is an album called "Guitar" that features nothing but Frank guitar solos. :thmbsp:

There is also Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar. Though FZ without the silliness is not really FZ :thmbsp: You have to rest inbetween the heavy solos!
 
I love zappa. Saw ZPZ (zappa plays zappa, his son with some of his old band) at MSG, pretty awesome show.

Amen brother!

I saw the ZPZ show both years & hope Dweezil & the Zappa trust will keep supporting the tour so the younger listeners can get a first hand account of the only Real American Modern Composer.

Frank is sorely missed in my home.
 
Frank Zappa was a hero in the former Czechoslovakia. He played an indirect but pivotal role in the "Velvet Revolution" there. Tom Stoppard's "new" play Rock 'n' Roll evokes the era and the influence of music, by all accounts.

Frank was to be an integral part of trade relations with the newly formed government in that country till good ole uncle sam stepped in.

They thought enough of FZ to put him on their nations postal stamps,here's a few pic's of one of the unused sheets i have in my collection.

MVC-002F-1.jpg
[/IMG]
 
I love Joe's Garage, and I saw him in 1981 when I was the ripe age of.......13!! FAR too young to fully appreciate the experience, but I'm glad for it nonetheless.
 
The greatest American composer ever. Not many popular music artists can be called a composer.

I concur.
His actual writing of virtually all the notes for every instrument on album after album goes for the most part unrecognized by most save those who have followed him for the last 38+ years. He passed away on my birthday and this being my 50th upcoming, you can rest assured there will be copious amounts of Zappa in the playlist for the weekend.
:smoke::smoke::smoke:
 
Had to search here for some good Zappa info...

Went to a show last night that really blew me away - all Zappa music performed by A Bogus Pomp from Tampa. Never was a big fan, in fact have only heard "Zappa in New York".

But these guys...WOW!! Fantastic musicians that have now opened me up to really checking his stuff out. Never knew how jazzy/double alternative/layered fusion sounding his work was. The song that really woke me up was "Cosmic Debris" (then another one that I have no idea what it's called). The saxophone player was killer; the xylophone/sounds percussionist was too cool, and the lead guitarist was as good as ANY I've ever heard (reminded me of David Gilmour).

Armed with the info from this thread, I am OFFICIALLY on the hunt for some old Zappa vinyl!
 
I don't know much about Zappa but I came across a Japanese limited edition versions of the "overnight sensation" and "we're only in it for the money" CDs and picked them up to give it a try. While the "overnight sensation" was entertaining with good music and I got a laugh out of it, the other one was not, too much weirdness and not enough music. I'd like to get some more CD by Zappa. Which ones are the "must haves" that have more music and less weirdness if you know what I mean?

We're Only In It For The Money is great. Far superior to Overnight Sensation.
 
I can remember the first time I saw Zappa. He was on the old Steve Allen Show playing a bicycle tire by plucking the spokes. This was about five years before the Hippie movement and the Mothers of Invention. Anyone else remember this?

They have re-ran it many times. I bet it's on UTube.
 
If nobody's mentioned these:

"Roxy and Elsewhere." "One Size Fits All."

I'm a big fan of his. I love his 'You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore' albums.

Rick
 
Back
Top Bottom