• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Frank Zappa

Zappa can be enjoyed on many levels. Some listeners may not realize his shenanigans are a tool to draw you in. Swoop!! Gotcha!!

That's what happened to me! He got me with "Uncle Meat". Then I backtracked to Absolutely Free, and then jumped to Weasels Ripped My Flesh. I've been hooked ever since.

I keep missing the Bogus Pomp concerts, darn it! Somebody kick me in the ass if I miss another!

Rick
 
Here in Cucamonga I'm proud to live near the site of the former Pal Recording Studio that FZ owned and lived in for a brief time in the early 1960s, renamed studio Z after Zappa owned it. This is where the Surfari's original "Wipeout" was recorded and the multi-track recording equipment designed by former owner Paul Buff was popular with many surf bands.
According to Zappa's autobiography one of the former owners was planning to make a science fiction movie and left his sets behind. The locals apparently mistrusted the strange people living there enough that the vice squad investigated (the location is practically across the street from an elementary school). An attempt was made by undercover officers to talk Zappa and his cohorts into making a stag film.They explained that they didn't even make movies, they were strictly a music studio, so they were then asked about making a pornographic audio recording. This they agreed to do, and as a result Zappa was in jail in San Bernardino as the deadline neared for street widening, and the studio was unceremoniously torn down before he got out.
My favorite Zappa album was Chunga's Revenge- got to get another copy sometime.
 
Back
Top Bottom