• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Free JBL monsters

joel27

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up some free speakers today. They have a set of Altec 802d drivers for the highs, JBL 075 drivers for the mids, and JBL D130 drivers for the lows. Well one of the D130's was replaced with a pyle speaker. They sound fantastic and look good inspite of the change.

Better pics to follow this weekend.
 

Attachments

  • 814.jpeg
    814.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Now just for scale... your not a midget right? j/k :D . VERY nice score, between these and your other set of JBL's you have a hit the mother load.
 
By other set, you are referng to the Paragon? If so that is unfortunately not mine. The couple changed their mind and only gave me these.
 
IMHO, here's what I'd do:

Step 1: Remove and sell the 802Ds, D130 and Pyle woofer. Keep everything else.

Step 2: Get a pair of either Selenium D2500Ti-ND-OMF or B&C DE250 horn drivers, and mount onto the Altec horns there.

Step 3: Get a pair of good matched 15" woofers that area capable of low bass in that box... JBL 2234/2235/2231/136A, Altec 416, or such.

Step 4: Build or buy (from someone who can build them for you), a set of Z19 crossovers. As described in this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328530


Do that, and you'll have a pair of world-class speakers...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
:yikes::jawdrop: Nice !
Picked up some free speakers today. They have a set of Altec 802d drivers for the highs, JBL 075 drivers for the mids, and JBL D130 drivers for the lows. Well one of the D130's was replaced with a pyle speaker. They sound fantastic and look good inspite of the change.

Better pics to follow this weekend.
 
IMHO, here's what I'd do:

Step 1: Remove and sell the 802Ds, D130 and Pyle woofer. Keep everything else.

Step 2: Get a pair of either Selenium D2500Ti-ND-OMF or B&C DE250 horn drivers, and mount onto the Altec horns there.

Step 3: Get a pair of good matched 15" woofers that area capable of low bass in that box... JBL 2234/2235/2231/136A, Altec 416, or such.

Step 4: Build or buy (from someone who can build them for you), a set of Z19 crossovers. As described in this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328530

Do that, and you'll have a pair of world-class speakers...

Regards,
Gordon.

+1!:thmbsp:
I'd go with the B&C DE250, and I'd sell the 075's too. You won't really need them with the DE250, and they don't sound as good as other tweeters IMO. If the DE250 doesn't have enough air for you, (it does for me) a dedicated super tweeter will fill it in. 075 does not go high enough to qualify as a super-tweet...
 
IMHO, here's what I'd do:

Step 1: Remove and sell the 802Ds, D130 and Pyle woofer. Keep everything else.

Step 2: Get a pair of either Selenium D2500Ti-ND-OMF or B&C DE250 horn drivers, and mount onto the Altec horns there.

Step 3: Get a pair of good matched 15" woofers that area capable of low bass in that box... JBL 2234/2235/2231/136A, Altec 416, or such.

Step 4: Build or buy (from someone who can build them for you), a set of Z19 crossovers. As described in this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328530

Do that, and you'll have a pair of world-class speakers...

Regards,
Gordon.

JBL 2220s would work as well. That's what I have in the FrankenZilch horn-loaded cabs along with Selenium D2500s on QSC waveguides with econowave crossovers that Zilch modified for me.

Those are going to be sweet! Congrats!
 
Thanks all. I had a friend help me carry them. The aren't bad for 2 ppl. I definitely want to get them sounding their best with or without the original components.
 
+1!:thmbsp:
I'd go with the B&C DE250, and I'd sell the 075's too. You won't really need them with the DE250, and they don't sound as good as other tweeters IMO. If the DE250 doesn't have enough air for you, (it does for me) a dedicated super tweeter will fill it in. 075 does not go high enough to qualify as a super-tweet...

Oh crap, I didn't notice that there were 075s in there. Duh. Yeah, definitely sell them too. That will finance a LOT MORE of what I suggested!!

Basically, what I suggested, would result in you having the equivalent of an "Altec 19 on steroids". Hard to imagine that NOT being spectacular!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
JBL 2220s would work as well. That's what I have in the FrankenZilch horn-loaded cabs along with Selenium D2500s on QSC waveguides with econowave crossovers that Zilch modified for me.

Those are going to be sweet! Congrats!

2220s don't really have enough excursion capacity, or enough bass extension, to work in a front-loaded reflex cabinet. They're fine in a horn (the horn limits the amount of necessary cone excursion, and also extends the low end reach), but that's not what I'd put in a vented cabinet.

It'd be hard for a 2220 to get below 50 Hz... same for the D130. Great midbass or horn-load drivers, but not for this box. The woofers I suggested will all get into at least the low 30s, if not the high-mid 20s, in that big box...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Picked up some free speakers today. They have a set of Altec 802d drivers for the highs, JBL 075 drivers for the mids, and JBL D130 drivers for the lows. Well one of the D130's was replaced with a pyle speaker. They sound fantastic and look good inspite of the change.

Better pics to follow this weekend.
I don't even know where to begin if I showed up with something like that, even free. Too bloody cool. Should give them names of your fave linebackers.
 
Things are starting change. :( After listening for a bit tonight one of the 802d's quit working. I checked for continuity and found none. I pulled it apart and the diaphragm has a crack. So now I'm down to one fully functioning speaker and one with no horn. Any one think I should replace the diaphragm or should I just replace the pair and sell these?
 
Back
Top Bottom