• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

G22000...Tuner-Preamp very good, Power Stage, damaged...

Thank you guys! :)

What filter caps did you use? Where did you get them?

I have installed Nichicone 10000μF KG Super Through 100V, and I bought them from Percy Audio.

Now someone can ask why I used 10000uF instead original 15000uF?
The answer is:
- 10000μF KG Super Through 100V has dimensions 63mm x 100mm (like old ELNA) and rated ripple 8.3A
- 15000μF KG Gold Tune 100V has dimensions 63mm x 80mm and rated ripple 8.7A

So my choice is 10000μF KG Super Through 100V because it is just like old ELNA.

15000μF KG Super Through I didnt buy because it is much larger than old ELNA (76mm x 100mm)
 
That's really some fantastic restoration work. Looks like a brand new unit.

I'll be following the rest of this thread closely!
 
Seriously amazing restoration! Honestly, I thought it might be lost when I looked at the pictures of the damage. Now it looks better than new!
 
Great post, and great job! Craftsmenship immediately apparent in the job you are doing. I hope the big "G" lives up to your expectations on completion. :yes:

Best,

Paul
 
First off I will repeat what has been said already: the job you do really knocks my socks off. The attention to detail and commitment to 100% restoration is really awe inspiring!

Now I must ask: are there any negative consequences for lowering the capacitance of the unit 33%?

People often talk about increasing capacitance on this site but I think this may be the first case I've read of someone lowering it to this extent.

Keep up the great work!
 
Great job Kale, Are you re-capping the receiver too?

For now, I did only restoration on subcase of Power Part, so I still didnt work on electronics, just only cleaned damaged electronic board board, but I am planing to do complete restoration job, and on tuner-preamp part too. That is lot of work, and maybe it can be finished for long time...

Now I must ask: are there any negative consequences for lowering the capacitance of the unit 33%?

People often talk about increasing capacitance on this site but I think this may be the first case I've read of someone lowering it to this extent.

Keep up the great work!

Hi xoaphexox,
Yes it is strange for someone what I chose lower capacitance that is in original, but capacitance is only one data of good capacitor, what about rated ripple, or Tangent of loss angle (tan δ).

I told you in my post above that I was thinking between 10000μF KG Super Through 100V and 15000μF KG Gold Tune 100V, and I chose 10000μF KG Super Through 100V because
1. it is just with the same dimensions as old ELNA,
2. it has almost the same rated ripple as 50% greater 15000μF KG Gold Tune 100V capacitor
3. and finally it has lower tan δ than 15000μF KG Gold Tune 100V capacitor

So, in my opinion, the power part of G22000 will have better electrical condition than if I chose 15000μF KG Gold Tune 100V capacitor.

It is not always important to use higher and higher capacitance of capacitors in power supply and think that supply will be better. AU2000 has two capacitors of 22000uF each and 12 pcs Sankens TO3 just as the power part of G22000, and it sounds great when it is restored.

Maybe i will thinking on some other way if I will have G33000 (because it has 16 pcs Sankens), but now 10000μF KG Super Through 100V capacitor is great capacitor for that receiver
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Agreed. I, too am enjoying Kale's restoration process. It's great seeing an abused piece of equipment that some would rather throw away, get a second lease on life instead. There's no reason why this G-22000 won't last another 30+ years!
 
Small update :)

Because I was so busy with other things, I didnt have so much time for finishing restoration on that nice vintage unit, but now I can say... DONE!

Because, I already posted some pictures in some other thread, I will repeat post those pictures here, because it will be nice to have all of them in one thread...

So, I know, you dont like when I write so much, you are waiting pictures, so here they are....
 
New veneer...

PICT3287.jpg


PICT3291.jpg


PICT3299.jpg


PICT3297.jpg


PICT3295.jpg


PICT3294.jpg


PICT3302.jpg


PICT3300.jpg
 
As you remember, the right channel of power part G22000 was like this:
PICT2166_.jpg


Prije.jpg


and restored:
Posli.jpg



the left channel restored:
PICT3492.jpg
 
Wow, that is a very impressive restoration Kale, very very thorough work down to the last detail.....
The veneer, is absolutely beautiful work........

What a tribute to Sansui!!

You really did bring that thing back from the dead indeed....
 
Back
Top Bottom