• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Gear rack/stands

Could have sworn I posted up pics of mine here but apparently I didn't...

Anyway, made it myself. Ambrosia Maple legs with Zebrawood shelves. Legs pinned with Walnut dowels. Finished in tung oil.

149381_10200480792371405_1385073469_n.jpg


603047_10200488314399451_395158627_n.jpg


14978_10200580724829654_937788518_n.jpg


16491_10200669290603743_1555535366_n.jpg


425986_10200669288643694_682867717_n.jpg


1009221_10201420091053285_2042455506_o.jpg
Those are cool. Any plans for those you can share?
 
Some of the threaded rods I see being used are overkill. Over tighten them and they'll easily crack the shelf.

With four rods they don't need to be so large. I'd suggest the smallest size that won't flex in your bare hands. Huge price difference as you go up in diameter.

The best method to cut these rods is with a Dremel or bench grinder then use a file to file off any sharpe edges so the nuts screw on easily. You can also buy caps at Lowes/HD to cover the exposed top nuts. I used some chrome acorn nuts for a finished look.
 
^^^ I'll have to disagree with this unless you're doing a short 2 shelf flexi. If you go 4' high with multiple shelves then use at least 1/2 rod and 5/8 would be better to stop the sway. And don't be afraid to tighten those nuts securely. If the shelf somehow cracks then it doesn't belong in there in the first place.
 
^^^ I'll have to disagree with this unless you're doing a short 2 shelf flexi. If you go 4' high with multiple shelves then use at least 1/2 rod and 5/8 would be better to stop the sway. And don't be afraid to tighten those nuts securely. If the shelf somehow cracks then it doesn't belong in there in the first place.

You're not disagreeing. 1/2" or 5/8" is fine but what I'm seeing looks much larger. The original plans called for 18mm but only called for three rods.
 
You're not disagreeing. 1/2" or 5/8" is fine but what I'm seeing looks much larger. The original plans called for 18mm but only called for three rods.

Gotcha:thmbsp: I didn't know you were talking about 3/4 or 7/8'' rod. That would be overkill unless you're using that flexi to store engine blocks on:D.
 
Rods

You're not disagreeing. 1/2" or 5/8" is fine but what I'm seeing looks much larger. The original plans called for 18mm but only called for three rods.

If you are referring to these rods:


they are 5/8. In my opinion they are much better than what you can find at local hardware stores. Cost wise only $30-$40 more if you shop around, and to me it is totally worth it. Hand tighten is all that is needed, and even if you torqued it town with a wrench you will never crack the shelf.
 
I just purchased 3/4" - 10 threaded rod for the unit I'm building. The price difference between 5/8" and 3/4" was small enough to go with the larger size. I didn't want to be wishing I went with the larger size whenever I look at it. I will agree that it is overkill. I plan on keeping for a long time, so some overkill I can justify!
 
Better late than never, I reckon: DIYers grinding or cutting stainless steel should exercise some caution. :yes:
Hexavalent chromium is bad. :no:
 
Homemade Stereo Rack

Made this rack/shelf for my system about a year back. Its made of 4/4 red oak and alone it weighs enough to get the job done.

picture.php


Instead of a shelf, I opted for a frame with sliding bars (tongue and groove) that can be adjusted to fit any component base/foot arangement.
picture.php
 
Last edited:
After getting back into listening more I figured one stand/rack wouldn't do it for me so I have the digital stuff and TV on a hacked Lack TV stand from IKEA. I needed longer legs in order to get the receiver and computer under it. The legs raise it by 4 inch to give more breathing room for both.

attachment.php

Space.jpg

It also shows the room a little bit. The windows in the back are not optimal in regard to reflections but I like the view out to the pool when watching TV.

The tube amp I have since a couple of weeks is sitting on the floor since it does not fit into the TV stand. I raised it off the floor by a little pad I build to give it some air circulation under it. Keeps it a little bit cooler inside since it does not have a back plate.

attachment.php


Amp Stand.jpg

For the turntable and pre amp I built a table on casters. Still don't like the casters much since they are cheap but do the job at the moment keeping it mobile to roll it into place instead of the coffee table which is also on casters.
In the bottom shelf are 9 pavers to give it a little heft. The shelf with the mixer (until get a buffer/pre with volume control) just sits onto of the paver and is holding them in place but anyhow they wouldn't go anywhere :D

attachment.php


Turntable Table.jpg

Still need to stain it but can't decide on the color.
 
Lots of nice racks/stands :thmbsp:

And so many variations on the flexy, so one more won't hurt?

MDF shelving but added bracing as the TV as it is a bit heavy for the MDF. Will also do it for the TT shelf.

20150121_172339.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom