• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Get a load of this Barzilay Fisher/EV Console in Tucson

Those Fisher integrateds are notorious for blowing power transformers. It's their first point of failure. X-101-B, from the same era, have the same problem.

Clean looking integrated though so I wouldn't sweat the details if the off-chassis transformer is a match and works fine.
 
Those Fisher integrateds are notorious for blowing power transformers. It's their first point of failure.

So are some of the standalone amps. Avery's PTs seem to get a bit stressed. Even the working PT on my 70A (pulled from the 70AZ) likes to run at a temperature best described as "blazingly hot." You don't want to touch it for more than a few seconds when the amp has been on for a while.
 
So are some of the standalone amps. Avery's PTs seem to get a bit stressed. Even the working PT on my 70A (pulled from the 70AZ) likes to run at a temperature best described as "blazingly hot." You don't want to touch it for more than a few seconds when the amp has been on for a while.


The one on my 800C is the same way, it gets to be as hot as the outputs. Its even got a little buzz going on. I need to get it on the market before it goes poof :D
 
Sorry guys.. If I knew it was MDF under all that black paint I could agree, but knowing what the wood looks like that Barzilay used, all I can do is reject it... The amount of work to get the wood right would take a fortune of time.. Hopefully it didn't stain the veneer all the way through
 
i fall in the department of the cabinet and speakers look great with the black finish.:yes:as far as the gear goes the ev speakers are botl and the amp and tuner come close to being that also.wit that being said i wouldnt mind having the gutted console and speaker cabinets to throw my own speakers and gear into.
 
Thanks Simi, I was wondering if Barzilay would ever put out a matte black cabinet, and was thinking no. :thumbsdn:

You'd be wrong. Barzilay usually had both light and dark wood, piano black (very expensive) and unfinished available in their kits (I made a living selling them) The black "Piano" was the most expensive option.
 
DAMN IT!!!! I want a Barzi cab tooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy am I green! That's beautiful Orion....

What can you tell us about the table? That's a really sweet piece.

There are no markings on the table anywhere. Picked it up at a thrift store for $5. When I saw it I had a place already in mind. Haven't even touched it with sandpaper yet. A little feed and wax applied.
 
You'd be wrong. Barzilay usually had both light and dark wood, piano black (very expensive) and unfinished available in their kits (I made a living selling them) The black "Piano" was the most expensive option.

This isn't piano black though.. this is shake and spray black.. easy to tell that if you look at the pictures close.. It also looks like it hasn't been painted all that long either since there are only a few places the black is scratched off and white is showing through..
 
Barzilay was a "custom made to order" company as well as a standard off the shelf manufacturer as well. The Barzilay cabinets I have were custom made the way the original owner ordered them with the tambour doors and designed to hold his Tanberg equipment along with his LP collection. He also had custom cabinets made for the JBL drivers that flanked each end of the lower 6 foot cabinet and were covered in the same veneer.

I personally like the black just as much as a natural wood finish...it all depends on what that original owner wanted. So you think the grills on the speakers were taken completely apart to paint the fret work? I don't. I believe this was a custom order piece. There's no signs of runs or bad paint workmanship that I can see.

Here's a couple of pics of mine...
B5.jpg


B6.jpg


B4.jpg


Had to make a new frame for the bottom of the lower cabinet to keep it from being directly on the floor.
B3.jpg


And the cabinets that Barzilay made for his JBL drivers.
JBL1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I personally like the black just as much as a natural wood finish...it all depends on what that original owner wanted. So you think the grills on the speakers were taken completely apart to paint the fret work? I don't. I believe this was a custom order piece. There's no signs of runs or bad paint workmanship that I can see.

I'm with you on this one. :yes:
I just mentioned the grills in a nice conversation I had with Sharon ( the owner / seller ). That to me was what sealed it.You would have to have removed the grill cloth completely to "paint" inside the slots.
Back to the phone conversation....sorry James...completely original.And as I figured the photo's don't look as good as the unit in real life.And it looks great in the pics IMO.
If only I lived a little closer .....:scratch2:
 
It's no big deal to paint the grills... 12 screws hold in the front baffle then the grill comes right out... I've got the same speakers.. With a drill and a screw bit I can have the grill out of mine in less than 10 minutes.

I'm sorry guys.. I just ain't gonna buy it's original paint unless I can see it in person... Too many places around the edges and on the side of the speaker where you can see the black has been scraped off and there is a white primer under it. I can't believe that Barzilay would have put black paint over white primer... I never believe an owner unless I see the item in question in person.. too much "mint" stuff out there for sale..

Someone needs to go look at this in person and talk them into a realistic price..
 
Look at the picture of this panel... It really appears to be a not so great sanding job.. A factory job from Barzilay I would imagine to look glass smooth..

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • cab9a.jpg
    cab9a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 189
Whatever. The fact that the seller's throwing in the "listening stool" is what clinches the deal for me. :stupid:
 
Go check it out Stephen and let us kmow... If it was near me I'd be going just to satisy my curiosity... I'm really interested in Barzilay furniture, and it's one of those "Got to Know" deals to me..

I knew they did have piano black, but not in this style that I've ever seen, and I've never seen a flat factory finish..
 
Back
Top Bottom