• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getz/Gilberto Comparison

JP

7480 74111110101115
With at least a couple new pressings of this out in the last year or so, I thought it'd be interesting to do a small comparison.

Here's a sample of four different pressings from my library. Stack rank, comment, critique, try to guess which pressings they are, what have you. When activity dies down I'll reveal what they are, but not a hint until then.

Sample A
Sample B
Sample C
Sample D

Enjoy!
 
Register to hide this ad
This should be fun! This is one of my favorite albums, and it had a large part in driving me to learn Portuguese and become interested in Brazil and its culture. I have both the 33 and 45 Analogue Productions pressings, as well as what I believe to be an original pressing which was sealed when I got it (not to mention a 60's Canadian pressing that sounds absolutely dreadful in every way possible).
 
Ok, so we're hearing two different mixes here. A and D are the same mix (Astrud Gilberto's vocals on the left), B and C are a different mix (Astrud Gilberto's vocals centered; no tape dropout). C is much too bright for me. It's quite unpleaseant.

A and D sound very similar with D being a tad brighter. I like their tonality. B really stands out because it lacks hiss. It has more upper mids than A and D. I prefer the tonality of the latter, but technically B is superior I guess.

Now that I've noticed the annoying hum under Astrud Gilberto's vocals I can't unhear it :D
 
This should be fun! This is one of my favorite albums, and it had a large part in driving me to learn Portuguese and become interested in Brazil and its culture. I have both the 33 and 45 Analogue Productions pressings, as well as what I believe to be an original pressing which was sealed when I got it (not to mention a 60's Canadian pressing that sounds absolutely dreadful in every way possible).
Huh. My 60s Canadian pressing sounds about like "C" from the list on my system. Not dreadful at all.
 
I don't have this album but here's my ranking:

B- Cleanest, more open and balanced IMO, no thickness or reverb like D & A. Sounds more like a live intimate performance, they're right in my room.
D- Similar to A below but possibly less thickness.
A- Similar to D as mentioned above. Both seem to have an artificially wide soundstage (phase trick?)
C- This one reminds me of a remaster that is too loud.

:lurk:
 
Last edited:
For me, D has the most pleasant overall sound. :) Though the shifting of Astrud's voice to the left is a bit odd. FWIW, my Japanese pressed Verve (UCJU 9068) has all vocals and Stan Getz's woodwind dead centered. So that is what I'm used to. :idea:

Thanks, for this post! Listening to different mastering and pressings is a very helpful tool. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
B sounds the smoothest while retaining a nice openness. That's the keeper for me.

Granted, I'm listening through a computer with Apple earbuds. Fun nonetheless. Thanks!
 
I'll take an original Verve copy any day! :music:

Yeah, the original Verve is really nice, but finding one that's quiet could be a challenge for some. My old copy is visually NM, but after cleaning is still noisy. When Stan comes in with his solo, it's like he's standing right in front of you. The only other copy I have is a MFSL Anadisc 200. It's got a mid bass boost, but lots of detail and is quiet with no groove noise.

For me the samples are A,D,B,C best to worst.

A: Obviously a nice old tape transfer with dropouts and all. Sounds very close to the original copy I have (except for the dropouts.

B: A little boosted treble and Joao's vocals are quite sibilant.

C: Sounds like a digital transfer. :(

D: Another tape transfer, but this time Astrid's vocals are panned hard left. Otherwise not bad.

And why are Astrid's vocals on the left channel? Both my vinyl copies have her in the right channel.

jeff
 
And why are Astrid's vocals on the left channel? Both my vinyl copies have her in the right channel.

“The correct placement (on the master tape) is for Astrud to be on the left and the drums on the right. When Ami Hadani cut the ORIGINAL stereo LP master at Radio Recorders in 1963, the channels got reversed somehow and that's how engineers have been mostly doing it ever since for some reason. The East Coast Rudy Van Gelder copy master cut follows Ami's lead.”

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=140228&postcount=2
 
Yeah, the original Verve is really nice, but finding one that's quiet could be a challenge for some. My old copy is visually NM, but after cleaning is still noisy. When Stan comes in with his solo, it's like he's standing right in front of you. The only other copy I have is a MFSL Anadisc 200. It's got a mid bass boost, but lots of detail and is quiet with no groove noise.

For me the samples are A,D,B,C best to worst.

A: Obviously a nice old tape transfer with dropouts and all. Sounds very close to the original copy I have (except for the dropouts.

B: A little boosted treble and Joao's vocals are quite sibilant.

C: Sounds like a digital transfer. :(

D: Another tape transfer, but this time Astrid's vocals are panned hard left. Otherwise not bad.

And why are Astrid's vocals on the left channel? Both my vinyl copies have her in the right channel.

jeff

Most of my thrift store Jazz albums are in very good condition, no scratches! Jazz fans took better care of their albums seems like.
 
Yeah, the original Verve is really nice, but finding one that's quiet could be a challenge for some. My old copy is visually NM, but after cleaning is still noisy. When Stan comes in with his solo, it's like he's standing right in front of you. The only other copy I have is a MFSL Anadisc 200. It's got a mid bass boost, but lots of detail and is quiet with no groove noise.

For me the samples are A,D,B,C best to worst.

A: Obviously a nice old tape transfer with dropouts and all. Sounds very close to the original copy I have (except for the dropouts.

B: A little boosted treble and Joao's vocals are quite sibilant.

C: Sounds like a digital transfer. :(

D: Another tape transfer, but this time Astrid's vocals are panned hard left. Otherwise not bad.

And why are Astrid's vocals on the left channel? Both my vinyl copies have her in the right channel.

jeff

I have that Japanese pressing. Will try to get around to uploading it. Maybe later tonight. Still looking for my "Maiden Voyage." Someone must have "borrowed" it. :D

Getz gilberto (2) small.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom