• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Gladding Receiver?

dread31

Addicted Member
Saw one of these in the thrift today.

I believe it said Gladding Mark 200a on the faceplate,
appeared to be solid state. It's actually been there for about a month.

Anyone heard of it?

Brother Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
Just found an old thread here with a tiny bit of info.

Might go back tomorrow and score this rare jewel.

Thanks for all the speedy replies!:D

Brother Dave:smoke:
 
Just found an old thread here with a tiny bit of info.

Might go back tomorrow and score this rare jewel.

Thanks for all the speedy replies!:D

Brother Dave:smoke:

Either it is an amazing coincidence or we were in the same thrift shop. I saw one in a thrift yesterday as well. Can't tell by your profile but did you come across this in a VB thrift shop?

It looked real interesting and based on what I could find was a fairly expensive unit in its day. Whether that translates to performance who knows.

Let me know how it goes with your find.
 
Either it is an amazing coincidence or we were in the same thrift shop. I saw one in a thrift yesterday as well. Can't tell by your profile but did you come across this in a VB thrift shop?

It looked real interesting and based on what I could find was a fairly expensive unit in its day. Whether that translates to performance who knows.

Let me know how it goes with your find.


Why, Yes. T'was in Virginia Beach. What a small world.
 
Why, Yes. T'was in Virginia Beach. What a small world.

Either it is an amazing coincidence or we were in the same thrift shop. I saw one in a thrift yesterday as well. Can't tell by your profile but did you come across this in a VB thrift shop?

It looked real interesting and based on what I could find was a fairly expensive unit in its day. Whether that translates to performance who knows.

Let me know how it goes with your find.

Passed on this one, picked up a nice Sansui instead.

So, if anyone in the Tidewater area is interested, it's still there.

Dave
 
Gladding 200 Update

Well I am hi-jacking Dread's original post while he is playing with his new Sansui find. I went back to the thrift store where we both saw it and picked it up today. They wanted $20 but with the "holiday" sale I got it for $10. It is an interesting piece with things on the back such as fuses etc. that I just have not seen on other amps. I am pretty much a newbie so that so does not mean anything. I have taken some photos in hope that someone out there can provide some info. It cleaned up pretty well and seems to work pretty well just based on my brief trial. The dial lights up well except for a little dead spot down towards the end. It is not dark just dimmer than the rest of the display. It maybe a diamond in the rough or just a poser hopefully you all can help. Thanks!!
 
Enjoy!
Happy to see it's in good hands!
Still working on the Sansui. Cleaned the pots. Found that it had never been
set up for 110 volt, and that's why the lights were dim. Corrected that. But now it has fried a 100 ohm resistor in the left channel. Have to fix that, and figure out why it happenend.

Anyhow, Congrats!

Dave
 
The belly of the beast......

Took the top off to see what was inside. I am a complete noob when it comes to this type of stuff so I have no idea what this stuff is or if it gives any kind of indication about the quality of this unit. It definitely needs a good cleaning and other than a wire that came unglued (which I glued back) I have no idea what would I could do to help restore this unit.

The amp for on the left side where it says 4-ch was blown and when I replaced it the new one blew as well. Not a big deal since I was only looking to use it for 2-channel but anything causing a fuse to blow is probably not a good thing.
 
Nice find - I was hoping one of you would go back and save what sounded like a substantial receiver.

Thanks for the pics - I always enjoy seeing new stuff. From the pics I'd say it is in some way related to the Lafayette quad receiver family, specifically the LR-5000 (notice in the attached pic how they both share unusual features like a 'tuner mode' switch, 'master' and 'f/r balance' control identifications, and similar pushbutton/switch functions as well as general layout?). Some claim that many of the Lafayettes were built by Pioneer or Standard (of Marantz fame) for them. Its pretty impressive that it has so many 4 ch inputs!

A word of caution: I noticed that there is a 'BTL' switch on the back (BTL = Balanced TranformerLess), and it looks like its set to 4ch. If you are seeing the 'rear' channel fuse blow, make sure that you don't change that switch position! BTL was a way of strapping together the front and rear output stages to approximately double the power output. In the case of a back rear channel, switching it to '2ch' might cause damage to your good front channel as well.

Let us know your overall thoughts on the sound and performance!
 

Attachments

  • LafayetteLR5000CatalogPg.jpg
    LafayetteLR5000CatalogPg.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 87
That is a pretty receiver and I wish you well with it. I think that is the first receiver that i like the looks of more than my Realistic STA-85.
 
Thanks for the replies so far. Any ideas what is causing the fuse to blow.
Is it worth taking in to a repair shop and having re-con it? Any idea how much that would cost??
 
That looks like a fairly decent receiver, I would definitely have brought it home too! I like the looks of it, thanks for sharing the pictures. Sorry I can't help with the fuse-blowing issue.
 
A quick update I went in and used some dust/corrosion cleaner and replaced all four fuses. Powered back up and the fuse that was blowing seems to be holding so maybe the loose wire I connected in the area of that fuse solved the problem. I am getting ready to hook it back up and we will see what happens. A big thank you to all who have replied so far. I do think it is probably a close cousin to the Lafeyette units CU mentions.
 
A quick update I found a site dedicated to Quads that is already yielding some great info on this unit;

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69538&posted=1#post69538

Seems this unit may go back to 73-74 but still not clear if I will ever find out who manufactured it but I think I may have found a diamond in the rough. I am addicted now to vintage gear and am going to pick a pair of Fisher speakers from mid-late 70's era, a reel to reel player from early 60's and even a turn table/stereo console from 61-62 vintage. (All free from relatives who volunteered to see what was in their attics) Don't know the models/makes yet but I have convinced my wife that it would be cool to have vintage area of the living room. :yes:
 
Post a shot of the big grey capacitor near the big transformer. It looks like it could be bad or going bad. It might just be paint flaking off.
 
Post a shot of the big grey capacitor near the big transformer. It looks like it could be bad or going bad. It might just be paint flaking off.

Actually those first pics were pre-clean up so a lot of what you see in that picture had a good amount of dust and dirt which cleaned up wonderfully when I sprayed some air and electronic cleaner in there.

Ths unit is probably due for a recon/rehab job of some type but I don't know enough to try it and not sure who in this area would be qualified to do or what the cost would be. The unit seems to be working just great and right now I am only using it as a tuner until it is broken in a bit so to speak. Not sure how long/where it had been sitting prior to ending up in the thrift shop.
 
Looks like you got the better deal Wolverine. The Sansui I bought has a problem. It was configured for 220 volt. When I switched to 110, (A simple jumper change.), it fried the amplifier driver board, left channel. Don't know why. So now I'm looking for a good local repair shop to take a look at it.
Determine whether it's worth the cost of repair. A shame, this unit looks like it was hardly ever used, very clean. And, for the short while it did work, it sounded fantastic, far better than I thought a 37 year old receiver would.

Dave
 
Looks like you got the better deal Wolverine. The Sansui I bought has a problem. It was configured for 220 volt. When I switched to 110, (A simple jumper change.), it fried the amplifier driver board, left channel. Don't know why. So now I'm looking for a good local repair shop to take a look at it.
Determine whether it's worth the cost of repair. A shame, this unit looks like it was hardly ever used, very clean. And, for the short while it did work, it sounded fantastic, far better than I thought a 37 year old receiver would.

Dave

Sorry to hear about the Sansui. I bought a Sansui R-5 at a HS flea market a couple of weeks ago and it had the same problem. Your unit is obviously much nicer than an R-5 so I hope things work out. If you find someone locally that does a good job on the Sansui let me know. I might need some help somewhere down the line on Gladding since it is also in the 30+ range.

So far it-so good with the Gladding though. I am going to nurse it for awhile but hopefully it can split duty with the Kenwood in my vintage set up.
 
Forgot to mention the QuadraphonicQuad forum - glad(ding) you found it!

A couple of meter and tuner dial bulbs from dwojo or ebay and that baby should be pretty. 25w/ch x 4 and 1.6uV FM sensitivity are pretty good specs for that era.
 
Back
Top Bottom