• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going Digital!

I understand you feelings, it's such a great thread, I gave a glowing report on my nano but advised someone to go with Kt77's advice on the higher level iFi offerings. Botrytis decided it was a good time to slam other peoples gear with unsolicited and questionable hearsay, yet again.

To the moderators, please feel free to remove the preceding exchanges.

No biggie.
 
From another Forum

Andre Marc Andre Marc is offline
[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Addicted to Best!
Andre Marc's Avatar Join Date
Mar 2012
Location
San Diego
Posts
3,461
Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Great. Looks like this is going to become a big category of products.

Just judging superficially, I like these guys. The enclosures are nice and metallic. They have great measurements for their supply and at least one spec. As such I don't expect to find electrical faults easily.

Let us know your experience. If there is enough interest, and someone will buy it off my hand, I can also buy one and then resell after testing.
I own the iFi Micro iDSD DAC, iFI USB (previous model of above product), and the iFi Nano iDSD. All really beautifully made and smartly designed.

My only beef with the Micro iDSD DAC is the input is a OTG USB connection which requires the supplied adapter or their own cable, which is not bad.

ON PAPER, I repeat, on paper, the USB 3.0 seems like a more advanced product than the REGEN in several key areas. I believe it ships with iFI's own
iPower supply which they claim is quieter than a battery.

Like others here, I do not like the XPS supplied with the REGEN..kludgey and not greatly thought out.
Andre Marc
www.avrev.com
http://www.tonepublications.com/
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
 
I will say that my one beef with the ifi is the way they put input and outputs on each side of the unit. makes it really awkward to run cables and have it not look like ****. I tend to want to hide it behind something if people come over. looks pretty amateurish. sounds nice though
 
First Review of iUSB3.0

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ston-we-have-lift-iusb3-0-a-25640/index6.html

Well i must be of the first to obtain the object of desire here in this thread.

I received It yesterday and tried It out with my Idsd micro. Initial cnclusions is that the IUSB 3.0 is truly amazing since It unleashed the full potential of the I dsd micro improving this allready super value for money little dac in every possible audio quality aspect.

Before adding the i Usb 3.0 the ifi idsd micro though amazingly good for It's price always sounded a bit more opaque in comparison to my other dac a Mytek 192 dsd dac, lacking in midrange resolution and bass definition. Now the difference between them is simply gone and the sound of the Ifi idsd micro/iusb 3.0/gemini combo is on par with the Mytek!!

The only difference between them now after adding the i USB 3.0 is of taste and very little!! Now the ifi idsd micro sounds a touch more melodic and laid back while the Mytek a touch more punchy and resolving in comparison but I'm telling you that If I had to choose between them I would be In a very complex dillema!

And to conclude If someone is thinking of the question yes the iUSB 3.0 really works and the results are quite obvious.

A short youtube video link of the combo playing follows for the more curious. The ifi combo is sitting next to the turntable if you watch carefully. Please forgive any imperfections I am not a pro..

The sooner I can I'll post some pics as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwUaaf7BBDA
 
I have the La Scala MK II in house for a demo. I wanted for myself to hear what a non DSD high end DAC sounds like. Within the last 6 months i have heard many DAC`s both DSD and non DSD and the DSD DAC`s have won out. Right now all i can say is that the LA Scala has caught my attention in a positive way. More as i have more listening time.
 
...heres another cable for you to research!
http://waycables.com/

10428037_409024189277573_6147344718763852822_n.jpg

Brotha B,

Dude............, you're way late........, as if I hadn't spotted those about 4 months ago. Yes with system tweaking and voicing I generally never leave the research mode, as one never knows what might add to their systems at very little cost, so I seek out said knowledge not only for myself, but the average guy as well.

Those with extremely deep pockets, need not apply as I care less for your arrogances, and more about the well being of the 98.7% whom can't afford $4.000 USB cables and the likes.

:smoke: that.
 
I understand you feelings, it's such a great thread, I gave a glowing report on my nano but advised someone to go with Kt77's advice on the higher level iFi offerings. Botrytis decided it was a good time to slam other peoples gear with unsolicited and questionable hearsay, yet again.

To the moderators, please feel free to remove the preceding exchanges.

And having owned both the Oppo 103 and of late its replacement in said 105, I've to say that while I primarily purchased both to be used in our bedroom, I've listened to both in our stereo system and found them very very musical with great separation of notes and a very naturally balanced too end with great mids to match.

And obviously a great many designers view them as a nice platform, as many continue to mod the hell out of them more so then any other brand I've seen since a few Denon and Sony models over the course of the last 3 - 7 years.

And the newer iDAC 2 should be better, as they learned much like they did with the earlier example of their iUSB to correct the few things they merely overlooked, and have built upon from said mistakes, and the iDAC was recommended to me by my dealer as a device more directed towards home use then portability, I'd then believe it's Class A stage should definitely improve its fidelity and then some.

Wrong post............, but I wish to keep this thread afloat, so shall leave this here in case any of you missed it?:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/...-and-audioquest-jitterbug#WYR61fE6arQ0YL9z.97

My logic is............., the iUSB 3.0 | Jitterbug | Regen | iDSD | iDAC are all built to enlighten our lives as music lover, so looking at things from this point of view..........., it's not about my pecker being larger then anyone else's, as music lovers we are meant to share ways of enhancing what another of like mind whom is willing to listen to said recommendations has..............., I myself am here to help, not hurt one expose the long term relationship of system ownership entails.

Like with my own family, if I can't help............., I'd rather stand alone and stay to myself.

Logic is, I'd much rather see us all grow as one, united for the cause.

:sigh:_o scar
 
Those with extremely deep pockets, need not apply as I care less for your arrogances, and more about the well being of the 98.7% whom can't afford $4.000 USB cables and the likes.

:smoke: that.

This sort of response isn't arrogant? Why care what others spend?
 
This sort of response isn't arrogant? Why care what others spend?

Personally I was joking, but those that know me would know that!, I care less what anyone spends as that's not my concern, yet I do believe in assisted those whom have also come to know my heart as well as my ears in avoiding costly mistakes and know how to buy according to what moves them not someone else whom merely looks down on those whom can't afford the same components they can, much like I've judged you looking at what's listed in your signature............, but once again, I'm not judge, nor jury, in so much as a messenger - but we know how they're treated from world history do we not?.

Know my words, or simply read through them, it's an easy enough task eh?.

:boring:
 
Where are all those who look down on those of less means. I keep hearing about them but not one single poster seems to know one. I don't know any. In 50+ years with this hobby I've never met one.

Who decides when others make "costly" mistakes? Are they just choices you don't agree with?
 
Where are all those who look down on those of less means. I keep hearing about them but not one single poster seems to know one. I don't know any. In 50+ years with this hobby I've never met one.

Who decides when others make "costly" mistakes? Are they just choices you don't agree with?

You might wish to visit sites like *************** or AudioShark or several of the ones off of Asian based countries, and being that I once worked on the audio retail end of this hobby as far back as 1982, and having been exposed to it back during my stay in Japan since 1974, and having travels from Michigan - Seattle - New York - Orlando - Miami just to demo certain gear not along my travels to factories and hifi shows in many countries.

And I've met my share of the humble souls seeking guidance as well as the desire to be set upon the correct path as it should be based upon Synergy and not some fake class rating according to some whom consider their words as cast into stone as I do not............., never have, never shall.

I don't base things as a recommendation based upon what I like - love, in so much as hearing components at various price points for years as a means of assisting those whom have known me over the course of this time and have actually heard my system at one point or another and trust my taste or better yet sense enough to ask for said recommendations based upon ones budget, and I respond accordingly, so if say you were in the market for a nice server along with an integrated amp and floorstanders at around $50K, and asked me what I've heard at this price worthy of your|their attention..........,

I'd say either Lumin server as their|your source linked to an Accuphase Integrated driving a pair of Rockport Speakers tied together with the complete MIT cabling loom ( as its a known fact once someone commits to this brand, they know it works together as far as ICs - AC Cords and Speaker Cable as a tandem ), but that's what I've heard that rocked my boat, as well as say this same source and amp with a pair of Magico S1s that were more then capable of rendering the notes correctly as well.

Yet it's once again, not what I like or dislike in some much as insisting they get out for themselves and listen to said items, the snob ass part about certain groups of retailers or owners is true, maybe it's not seen much in your rather tidy community is all.

And not having seen you around here until now, it's as if you've an agenda or beef with what I've a right to speak on..............., and unless you're the pol-pol?, you might want to pump on your breaks a little, as I can assure you I'm not buying into BS debates based upon someone's freedom to speak whatever the hell I like and be questioned by whom?.............., just as I thought a nobody that I'm concerned about in the least, read on.................., and keep to yourself while doing so, and after 50+ years of this, I'd have thought you'd have something more insightful to add to this topic as opposed to try and pick **** with the wrong guy.

Dude................, Detroit and Pennsylvania don't mix, never shall. Exist to your left while on your way out.
 
Where are all those who look down on those of less means. I keep hearing about them but not one single poster seems to know one. I don't know any. In 50+ years with this hobby I've never met one.

Who decides when others make "costly" mistakes? Are they just choices you don't agree with?

Let me try to go about this in a more calm manner, lest you think me to be one of those boyz from the hood?.

You like what you like as far as ESLs correct?, yet I'd prefer a nice pair of original ESL 57s or Apogee Full Ranges or the original M-L CLS, I love tubes from companies like Valvo - Lorenz - CSF-Thompson - NEC - TEN Kobe - Tungsram - Telam|Polam as opposed to anything from the likes of Amperex - Mullard or Telefunken, I love the sound of turntables from companies like WTL and Kuzma, does that make me biased?, not at all..........., it merely means that I've taken the time to weigh through the BS and know what's what as far as how each rendered music to my ears.

I'd also much prefer vintage tube gear from the likes of companies like Beard - Radford - Leak - Pye - Luxman - Eico - H.H. Scott compared to Macintosh, but once again that's how I hear things, not saying others should, but feel they owe it to themselves to know, as opposed to going through life blind.

And while we're at it..............., I tend to love gear made in Germany as well as Japan, as both have proven mindsets when it comes to pride of workmanship as advanced means of exposing said technology more so then domestically, can you say " Tidal Loidspeakers " have a sound that puts many to shame?, or have you even heard them?.

I've always ventured to shops as a means of knowing, hearing it for myself, as simply reading about components doesn't offer one the same insight as listening, or does it?, and lastly............., of course I like what I like, who doesn't?, but I don't try to push it upon others, but try to make them aware of their options, is this a kinder approach that won't cause me to be banned for being outspoken or just being myself I wonder?, only time shall tell.

:smoke: ( now that's what's up ).
 
Please don't let this thread circle the toilet.

My bad, it's kind of hard to hold that Ex-Marine and little bit of Hulk in me at bay sometimes, so with that being said..........., shall we continue.

Sorry 'bout that Brotha B.
 
Ok fellas!

I've know both you cats, Oscar and Joe for a while now. I dig and have the up most respect for both you cats..and I think both you cats know that. Oscar, you know im all in with you...and Joe knows that im all in with him, so both you cats my dudes! You two, I've had disagreements with, and I've learned from both you cats. So I consider both you cats my dudes! So you guys, for my sake, be cool and lets add to the iFI going digital thread in a positive way....after all, Oscar, Joe and me, we all boys!:yes::D:smoke:
 
I've know both you cats, Oscar and Joe for a while now. I dig and have the up most respect for both you cats..and I think both you cats know that. Oscar, you know im all in with you...and Joe knows that im all in with him, so both you cats my dudes! You two, I've had disagreements with, and I've learned from both you cats. So I consider both you cats my dudes! So you guys, for my sake, be cool and lets add to the iFI going digital thread in a positive way....after all, Oscar, Joe and me, we all boys!:yes::D:smoke:

Little Brotha,

Once again, my heartfelt apology for allowing myself at time to be on the defensive, as I never learned to respond to questioning other then someone outside my parents, and never felt obligated to answer others whom come across as if any of us have the answers for someone, as I view even recommendations as being subjective, and as you do know me............., you know I'm the type that insist that anyone gets out and listens to this stuff on their own as a means of knowing what fits their taste and|or budgetary needs.

Yet like others, I do have opinions on items that might interest others whom haven't taken as much time as I to research them, and feel duty bound to put said options out there as alternatives, in hopes that at least someone might be open-minded enough to at least call me in these matters, yet only speak out loudly in disagreement if they've in fact heard things differently, as somethings are only generalized into this or that based categories, and nothing is written in stone............, either something works?, or it does not?.

No degrees needed to have common sense enough to know how this works, yet it's nice if someone has heard said recommendations made before trying to say this or that person feels as everyone should follow their lead, far from it.........., I'm merely trying to save others money in the long run by trying to offer what I believe to be solid recommendations based upon some items to which I merely feel are more productive then others, yet as I often put it out there.........., the proof is in the listening, and unless said person has............., how else would they know one way or the other if I might just in fact have an enlighten ear towards sound or slightly more pronounced sense of understanding a sense of fidelity that some might miss in certain components.

As I merely spoke on the newer iDAC 2 as offering better features compared to the Nano which it does, as well as expressing myself on both Oppo Blu-Ray Players which I've owned, as opposed to merely bases what they offer based upon their DACs capabilities, whereas I've used mine basically for movies, yet have heard them with CD-Rs and found the sound very similar to what I've heard with red book players appoarching say $2.000 easily, but opinions are just that............, not everyone has to surface out of the woodwork to challenge another's opinion just because they wish to be heard..............., yes..............., I'm wordy, passionate in my beliefs and as you know only speak on matters and|or things as I hear|feel them.

But I'll back off this and attempt to be civil, as you've requested and since we're homeboys, I'll grant you that.

It's behind me now..........., shall we get back on point now!!!!!!!.

We good.
:scratch2:_oh
 
Bro....to get us back on point, lets start with some great news!:banana:

MusicDirect said my iUSB3.0 is shipping today....and seeing im down the road from Chi-Town, 3 miles outside of St. Louis, across the river, I should have it tomorrow if they ship early enough!
 
Back
Top Bottom