• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good Looking CD units?

TubesGalore

Active Member
I'd like to add a CD player that had an unusual and/or had good eye appeal. While I love the Shanling scd-1200 (photo) it's way out of my price range. Does sound reproduction quality vary among CD players? I'm sure it does but I'd be interested in reading responses that expand on that.

43318-0-shanling-scd-t-200c-mint.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The most exotic CD player I could find is quite a looker, and has a price tag that reflects that over there on the auction site at a Lincoln less than $170,000. Although it may require a special cable to connect it to most high end amps. However, in its defense, how many other CD players do you know of that run off a V12?

1999_Ferrari_550_31099.jpg


Though with that V12, who's going to be listening to CDs when you've got that sweet sounding musical exhaust note?
 
Micromega Solo H,front sloping model from 1991... It's MRRP was around £2,000.00 back then and it features the built to last Philips swing arm mechanism.
Still,it doesn't come close to my NEC-CD903 in-terms of sound and build.


003.JPG
 
The Sony DVP-9000es is probably the best sounding cd player I've heard.

The onboard DAC in the 9000es easily rivaled the DAC in my old Denon DAP2500 preamp. I could never hear a difference whether I used its DAC or ran it digital direct into the Denon pre.

sony-dvp-9000es_366127.jpg
 
Searched for the Thorens TCD-2000, Oracle CD2000 and the CD2500 on eBay with negative results. And a search of past eBay sales also brought up nothing. I guess hard to find?
 
The Sony DVP-9000es is probably the best sounding cd player I've heard.

The onboard DAC in the 9000es easily rivaled the DAC in my old Denon DAP2500 preamp. I could never hear a difference whether I used its DAC or ran it digital direct into the Denon pre.

View attachment 744863
That thing must be a solid beast to weigh in around 30 lbs! Looks like you can still find them used for a decent price too.
 
Searched for the Thorens TCD-2000, Oracle CD2000 and the CD2500 on eBay with negative results. And a search of past eBay sales also brought up nothing. I guess hard to find?
I searched before I posted the picture. Looks like they are mainly available used in Europe for around 2K.
 
Looks like the Sony DVP-9000es sells for about $160 - $200 on eBay. That Pathos Endorphin looks cool but it may be hard to find? None on eBay, past or present.
 
Back
Top Bottom