• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good Looking CD units?

I always liked the industrial look of the Studer Revox B225 CD player. Rock solid players too, with incredible tracking.

58172245201211201317088866181464590_001.jpg
 
Gotta love what this guy is doing with the $5 Playstation One which is a nice sounding CDP stock but with the right mods is outstanding.

 
Found a Sanyo AWM-660 at a Goodwill. While it looks okay it's not exactly what I'm looking for. But until I find a CD like the examples in this thread it will have to do. Sounds okay but not great. Build date of 2002 stamped on it. Notice it also has a built in cassette player.

s-l1600.jpg
 
Last edited:
Y'all please don't be seduced by good looks alone. I bought this $$$ tubed top loader a few years back and while it looked terrific and sounded very good it was no better than my plane jane Rotel 855. I sold it but kept the $50 Rotel.

P6030034.jpg
 
These are pretty sweet (From Pirates Of The Caribbean). I know the ship wheel one at least even has digital out, so you can connect it to an external DAC!

$_1.JPG 513TC6gxHSL._AC_UL320_SR312,320_.jpg k2-_d913e87a-3982-4053-b51d-5c1ca.jpg
 
One can also look at some of the Compact Systems that are more than a just a CDP. A lot of them have Digital output so you can just use them for a transport. This one is setup with a Audioengine D2 24bit WiFi DAC using the WiFi only and sent to my McIntosh D100 DAC in my main system. It placed right by my listing seating so I can change disc easily.

It cost me $15.00 and $250.00 for the D2 WiFi

IMG_0838.jpg
 
Last edited:
One thing I am not understanding on this site that builds and mods everything.

How come no one is buying all these cheap CDPs and making stand alone DACs and Transports. Pulling the parts out of them and using the chips.
 
I have a related question: how important is the transport in regards to sound? I sometimes read about folks using old CD players as transports connected to DACs and I wonder if the transport has any effect on the sound.
 
I have a related question: how important is the transport in regards to sound? I sometimes read about folks using old CD players as transports connected to DACs and I wonder if the transport has any effect on the sound.
The transport has no effect on sound. The only effect it has is how well the laser reads - which only effects discs with imperfections or what discs it can/can't read.

The DAC and analog stage are the only things that actually effect the sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom