• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Ground up on a 1060!

Congratulations 'Dozer!
This really was alot of excellent work - - thanks for sharing it all with us and helping me with my 1060 refurb. I'm hoping to be where you are after another package from Digikey arrives :tears:

This thread is a keeper!
Best

Thanks!! and Your welcome!Good luck!:thmbsp:
 
I just thought of something, there are new exact replacement case screws and feet available if you have left out that part of the restoration.
 
I just thought of something, there are new exact replacement case screws and feet available if you have left out that part of the restoration.

Where do you find therse parts. I just noticed that I need a bottom cover, and I should get a face plate. I have two of these and only one faceplate. I guess there is still more to do....
 
Where do you find therse parts. I just noticed that I need a bottom cover, and I should get a face plate. I have two of these and only one faceplate. I guess there is still more to do....
Beautiful!
Ask forum member dgwojo about case screws and feet.:yes:

Tom
 
Outstanding work. I just bought a 1200B and am restoring it, not quite as extensively as yours but just taken apart and cleaned since it was working before. Great stuff!
 
Thanks!!! I have some bad news. Right channel has gone to complete distortion:tears:. I am sure the left is soon to follow. Output voltage is all over the place. I am going order some MJ's from Mouser. See if that doesn't clear up my problem. I knew I should have ordered new ones to begin with. Hasty....
 
Very strange, same thing happened to me. I put it back together on the weekend and left channel sounded terrible, distortion voltage all over. Took that side apart again and put back together and a bit better bet still not great, took the heat sink off the chassis and no more noise, only when it touches the chassis, ground somewhere. Fiddled around with it and now no more noise when it's mounted, adjusted the dc offset and bias and it's now great, fantastic sound.
 
Thanks!!! I have some bad news. Right channel has gone to complete distortion:tears:. I am sure the left is soon to follow. Output voltage is all over the place. I am going order some MJ's from Mouser. See if that doesn't clear up my problem. I knew I should have ordered new ones to begin with. Hasty....

Major Bummer!!!:tears:
What are the MJ's yoy need to order (microphone jacks???). any possibility the problem is with the headphone jack - - -mine was totally destroyed when I got my unit. Can you rule out bad transistors or cold solder joints??

Just trying to help - keep us updated!
Best
 
Thanks!!! I have some bad news. Right channel has gone to complete distortion:tears:. I am sure the left is soon to follow. Output voltage is all over the place. I am going order some MJ's from Mouser. See if that doesn't clear up my problem. I knew I should have ordered new ones to begin with. Hasty....

Hi 'dozer!
any update on this - did you figure out the problem (hope so...!!!)
 
Thanks!!! I have some bad news. Right channel has gone to complete distortion:tears:. I am sure the left is soon to follow. Output voltage is all over the place. I am going order some MJ's from Mouser. See if that doesn't clear up my problem. I knew I should have ordered new ones to begin with. Hasty....

Check your driver transistors first.
 
Amazing work! While you're sorting out the last details, I'm personally dying to know what tube amp you plan to build. I've done some work on old Fender tube Guitar amps, but I'm certainly no tech. You've definitely got my attention with this 1060 build. I was kind of thinking of getting into an older Model 30 Integrated Marantz; but now that you mentioned a tube amp, personally, I'd love to see a Marantz Model 8B go through this kind of build. From the look of it, the chassis looks fairly simple to fabricate if you can't find an old one. Just my 2 cents.
I'm afraid you've inspired me well beyond my skill level; but I'm now dying to dive into a project.
Again, brilliant work! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Jay
 
She's finished!

So it feels like 30 years ago this thread was popular! Dusted off the 1060 last night, went through it and found some loose solder joints, on the right channel side of the main amp. So simple, yet so frustrating! Right now I am listening to some Manfed Man, and some Moody Blues. Sound is Sweet! Crystal clear not even any static noise when there is no music. Here are some pics. :banana:
 

Attachments

  • 100_1270.jpg
    100_1270.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_1257.jpg
    100_1257.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_1249.jpg
    100_1249.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_1258.jpg
    100_1258.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 88
This thread couldn't have been dug up at a better time! I've been looking to replace the binding posts on my 1060, but haven't found anyone who's done it as clean as you have. Yours looks fantastic!

Do you mind sharing what binding posts you used?
 
Last edited:
thanks. Feels good to actually put something back together and have it function. as far as the binding post...i got them from mouser, that I know. maybe my invoice is still on record. i'll look it up.
 
Back
Top Bottom