• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HDD or SSD?

roger2

.
Subscriber
What is current opinion? I have no experience with SSD drives. My experience with HDD drives has all been good, no failures.

Which type of storage is being used most in new PCs? (not including laptops, tablets, etc)

Which type would be more reliable over the long term?

Other pros and cons for each type? :idea:

.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
ssd for os drive. hdd for storage

new computers are using m.2 ssds.

ssds have a finite amount of writes but no moving parts. hdds have infinite writes but has moving parts

ssds are FAST hdds, not so much
 
Only thing I'd add to @painttoad 's comments is for reliability over the long term, a good name brand SSD will probably last longer. Also bigger capacity ones last longer because each block on the drive gets written to before any of them get re-written to. That makes a big difference. I've got a 1TB SSD that's 7 years old and still working perfectly.
 
IME, on Mac OS, SSDs vs HDDs are a no brainer on 10-12 YO systems. 20 second boot time vs 4:00+ boot time. I was shocked at the difference, and SSDs give OLD Macs a couple more years of quicker, more responsive life.

No experience in the Windows world.
 
Thanks for the replies...

I need to choose one drive for both OS and data.
My most important parameter is long term reliability.
 
Is there a particular reason for wanting a single drive? Like, does your system only allow space for a single drive or has a single channel to connect a drive?
If you can hook up two drives, bear in mind that SSDs are tiny and don't really need a storage bay. You can simply leave them dangling in the PC or mount them to a flat surface using a velcro strip.

What is your storage requirements? For 1TB drive size, SSD is viable. If you need 4-6TB, prices tend to go up rapidly (for good quality, reliable products).
 
I need to choose one drive for both OS and data.

Nowadays you're definitely better of with an SSD for that purpose, while for backup purposes one might still prefer HDDs due to the lower price.

Whereas for long term data archival purposes SSDs are less of good idea, due to somewhat limited data rentention. So for that purpose I'd suggest to save valuable data on both HDD and M-Disc BD-R.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Last edited:
Is there a particular reason for wanting a single drive? Like, does your system only allow space for a single drive or has a single channel to connect a drive?
If you can hook up two drives, bear in mind that SSDs are tiny and don't really need a storage bay. You can simply leave them dangling in the PC or mount them to a flat surface using a velcro strip.

What is your storage requirements? For 1TB drive size, SSD is viable. If you need 4-6TB, prices tend to go up rapidly (for good quality, reliable products).
don't leave ssds dangling and don't tell others that it's ok to do so.

any semi modern case will have a mount for a 2.5" ssd and supply the screws. if you have an older case then buy a 2.5 to 3.5" drive sled and mount the drive in it and the sled in the 3.5" bay.

but i guess if you are ok to spend $100 on a good ssd for your os and just leave it dangling and leave the fate of your entire computer relying on a dangling ssd then you are free to do so. not me.
 
Every computer (5 laptops, 6 towers) I own was converted to SSDs, starting over 10 yrs. ago, and my (3) 24/7365 operating Win 10 laptops have never had any kind of drive issue.

One of the laptops that is constantly operating is a 13 yr. old Gateway that is my 2nd WAV. ripped music source player in the shuffle/repeat all mode via WMP, a USB connected external oscilloscope in the X/Y (Lissajous) display mode, and my local NWS`s radar loop, all running off a 7 yr. old1Terabyte Crucial brand SSD.
I recently purchased a 2Terabyte Crucial brand SSD to upgrade the current 1 Terabyte SSD when my still adding to music files become to large for the existing 1 Terabyte !
I`ve never had ANY problems with any of my computers, (2) 24/7/365 operating security camera NVR`s internal constantly R/W SSDs, or USB connected external (2) Terabyte master digital music storage safety backup, or the (2) 1 Terabyte Corsair GTX flash drives that my 24/7/365 operating OPPO UDP-203 (primary digital music source) digital music player reads from while playing my currently 14K tracks in the shuffle/repeat all mode !

I guess I didn`t get the "interoffice memo" about long term R/W potential SS storage concerns, while using that technology ?!

Yrs. back, though, I did sometimes have different brands spindle based HHD issues with the (4) at the time, 24/7365 operating towers.
 
I guess I didn`t get the "interoffice memo" about long term R/W potential SS storage concerns, while using that technology ?!

did you get the memo not to defrag ssd's? the reason is they have a finite number of writes.

all my computers, 2 laptops and 5 desktops have ssd for the os and a mech drive for backup. my server has a ssd for os and a 3tb and 3 4tb spinners and a 500gb mech backup drive. my daily has a m.2 (non nvme) . the daily and server both run 24/7 365.

.
 
did you get the memo not to defrag ssd's? the reason is they have a finite number of writes.

Yes I did, when first purchasing the SSDs, and promptly disabled the, at the time, Win`s 7 Ult. OS scheduled defrag settings in the machines I was installing them in .
The first SSD were Intel brand (my first experimental SSD purchases), and I used their downloadable SSD management software program to update the drives firmware and check the drives performance, life expectancy, and trim them every so often.

That initial Intel SSD purchase resides in my e-mail use only laptop running 24/7/365 for well over 10 yrs. with that SSD, and only the cooling fan has failed in that AMD processor based refurbished 12 yr. old Gateway laptop.
 
Whether you are planning only one drive or two in use, I hope you are not neglecting to get a separate backup. Unless you really don't care if everything gets lost.
As for SSD vs. HDD, definitely SSD for OS.

HDDs originally a bit of a crap shoot, as the reliability differed drastically depending on fine details of design, lubricants etc. etc. Manufacturers have pretty much learned what works and lasts now. But as others have commented, HDDs for the operating system really slow down your computer for booting and loading, and also for heavy-memory-use programs that have to page out to the drive.
 
Whether you are planning only one drive or two in use, I hope you are not neglecting to get a separate backup. Unless you really don't care if everything gets lost.

Yes, multiple backups to flash drives, Burned to BR capacity media, previous laptop`s smaller SSD drives that were replaced with more recent larger ones, with only additional WAV. ripped music needing to be added if the current SSD fails.
No computer of mine has a bunch of programs (pardon me, "Apps" !) installed in them.

And all my currently 3/4s of 1 Terabyte WAV. ripped music is backed up on site, on multiple flash drives, external 2 Terabyte USB connected external SSD, complete album(s) optical burns, or the original CDs stored, and my long time friend has all my music duplicated stored at his house miles away, as well. I`m his off site music files backup, as well.

I don`t and won`t ever trust any cloud for any type of data storage !
All my machines are not configured for any type of networking or remote computer connection capability, so if by any chance one becomes compromised, that will be the only one and the buggers in it won`t get to the other machines, cause their not connected to or communicating with each other via LAN configuration !

My computers setups have worked perfectly for my desires and needs since implementing multiple machines in my house over 20 yrs. ago.
No I`m not paranoid, but merely cautious !
 
Yes, multiple backups to flash drives, Burned to BR capacity media, previous laptop`s smaller SSD drives that were replaced with more recent larger ones, with only additional WAV. ripped music needing to be added if the current SSD fails.
No computer of mine has a bunch of programs (pardon me, "Apps" !) installed in them.

And all my currently 3/4s of 1 Terabyte WAV. ripped music is backed up on site, on multiple flash drives, external 2 Terabyte USB connected external SSD, complete album(s) optical burns, or the original CDs stored, and my long time friend has all my music duplicated stored at his house miles away, as well. I`m his off site music files backup, as well.

I don`t and won`t ever trust any cloud for any type of data storage !
All my machines are not configured for any type of networking or remote computer connection capability, so if by any chance one becomes compromised, that will be the only one and the buggers in it won`t get to the other machines, cause their not connected to or communicating with each other via LAN configuration !

My computers setups have worked perfectly for my desires and needs since implementing multiple machines in my house over 20 yrs. ago.
No I`m not paranoid, but merely cautious !
And here I thought I was the only one who thought this “apps” terminolgy thing was silly…
 
And here I thought I was the only one who thought this “apps” terminolgy thing was silly…

I think it was coined for the cell phone phuks, to impress them while installing snooping, tracking, and spying programs on them and their use of the microwave based wireless telephonic communication device.
 
Just for experimentation and fun, I bought a single cheap generic Chinese SSD to see what they were like. I tried to put Windows on it and run it as the os drive. I got nothing worthwhile as an os drive; so I cleared the drive and tried using it as a backup drive. It failed at that, as it did as an os drive. When it was functioning, I really did not find that the drive was significantly faster when moving files around. My Seagates were almost as fast.

After my trial run started, it was not long until the drive took a dump and that was all. So, don't buy a cheap drive; stick with a recognized drive company that offers a real warranty. I am glad I tried this looksee. As storage size starts dropping in cost, then I will jump in and pick up a quality SSD. It will only be for this Thinkpad, not the other 7 that I own. I could not afford that. This is my daily Thinkpad and it would be nice to have the os drive as an SSD.
 
What worries me is the reported ten year data retention with SSD’s. The last I checked, though, my 13 year old Patriot Torqx was still doing fine (it is the only Torqx out of five that survived the first 9 months of normal use).
 
Just for experimentation and fun, I bought a single cheap generic Chinese SSD to see what they were like. I tried to put Windows on it and run it as the os drive. I got nothing worthwhile as an os drive; so I cleared the drive and tried using it as a backup drive. It failed at that, as it did as an os drive. When it was functioning, I really did not find that the drive was significantly faster when moving files around. My Seagates were almost as fast.

After my trial run started, it was not long until the drive took a dump and that was all. So, don't buy a cheap drive; stick with a recognized drive company that offers a real warranty. I am glad I tried this looksee. As storage size starts dropping in cost, then I will jump in and pick up a quality SSD. It will only be for this Thinkpad, not the other 7 that I own. I could not afford that. This is my daily Thinkpad and it would be nice to have the os drive as an SSD.
An office I work with got about a dozen desktop tower computers from the cheapest bidder and they had cheap no-name SSDs in them. All failed within a few months. Get a good brand from a good vendor. There are knock-offs of the good brands so be wary of "too good to be true" prices.
 
Back
Top Bottom